Number of Qualifiers Entry Criteria

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
A competition handicap is maintained by returning scores from 3 Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year.
However I have come across competitions where, in addition to specifying that a competition handicap is required, the entry criteria also stipulates that X qualifiers (usually 3, sometimes 4) have been played in the previous 12 months.
Can anyone explain the reasons / rationale behind this additional requirement?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Some people only play the minimum amount of qualifiers to keep their handicap active then go off and play competitions elsewhere, mainly 4bbb for prizes of high value.
The handicaps are usually kept higher as they don’t play often as they should. They are then in for a good chance at winning.

Would like to see entry requirement of upwards of 10 IMO. Least the bandits will have to work harder to maintain that inflated handicap.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
I am a member of an artisan golf club and one of our club rules is you have to play a minimum of 12 qualifying competitions a year, this keeps everyone's handicap at a level that should represent their current ability and we certainly don't have any bandits and we have a good spread of winners over the year.

If you are having a problem completing your 12 matches you can write to the committee with your reasons and they look upon each case individually, although injury is about the only reason accepted.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a member of an artisan golf club and one of our club rules is you have to play a minimum of 12 qualifying competitions a year, this keeps everyone's handicap at a level that should represent their current ability and we certainly don't have any bandits and we have a good spread of winners over the year.

If you are having a problem completing your 12 matches you can write to the committee with your reasons and they look upon each case individually, although injury is about the only reason accepted.

Not quite sure what you mean, Ian,

What happens if you can't/don't manage 12 qualifiers and the committee rejects any reasons you put forward?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A competition handicap is maintained by returning scores from 3 Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year.
However I have come across competitions where, in addition to specifying that a competition handicap is required, the entry criteria also stipulates that X qualifiers (usually 3, sometimes 4) have been played in the previous 12 months.
Can anyone explain the reasons / rationale behind this additional requirement?

Firstly you have missquoted the rules and do not need to play in any Qualifing competitions to maintain a 'c' handicap under CONGU. You need to submit 3 Q scores which can be any combination of supplementals, home Q comps and away Q comps.

Some clubs (all that I've been members of) have competition rules for their designated 'trophy' events that require members to have returned X number of cards in club comps in the previous 12 months....nothing to do with handicapping and everything to do with having active club members competing in these prestigious(for the club) events. If someone hasn't even played 3 club comps in the previous 12 months they are hardly active members supporting the club and it's activities.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean, Ian,

What happens if you can't/don't manage 12 qualifiers and the committee rejects any reasons you put forward?
Hi Jim, If your reasons are rejected the first time it happens you get a fine i think its £100, the second time you are invited to leave the club.

I have only seen one time that someone who wasn't injured has failed to play 12 times and that was for personal reasons and he didn't rejoin the following year.

12 matches is not a lot to be asked to play in, i think we had about 60 comps last year so it should be easy.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thank you Duncan, my apologies for misquoting the requirement.

My experience of the IG computer system with regard to this is that it has the option to specify "X qualifiers in 12 months previous to start date". The computer system however will count supplementary scores and scores from away qualifying competitions as qualifiers in this respect, and would only flag up to the organisers if the Q total was less than that specified. So someone who has played in 2 club Q comps and 2 away Q comps would meet the criteria, but not the intent. As would someone who maintained their handicap with 3 Supplementary Scores.

Is it a case of the committee knowing who to look at for in this regard and manually intervening, or did you have a computer system that distinguished home Q comps? Thanks

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you Duncan, my apologies for misquoting the requirement.

My experience of the IG computer system with regard to this is that it has the option to specify "X qualifiers in 12 months previous to start date". The computer system however will count supplementary scores and scores from away qualifying competitions as qualifiers in this respect, and would only flag up to the organisers if the Q total was less than that specified. So someone who has played in 2 club Q comps and 2 away Q comps would meet the criteria, but not the intent. As would someone who maintained their handicap with 3 Supplementary Scores.

Is it a case of the committee knowing who to look at for in this regard and manually intervening, or did you have a computer system that distinguished home Q comps? Thanks

We have always done it manually from the competition records on the computer (if that makes sense!); it's normally blindingly obvious to the comp committee. We also make it extremely clear on the entry terms that anyone can compete but if you don't meet the eligibility you can't be the winner. No ones overly concerned about prizes, only names on the trophy and associated board. It does get queried as a rule from time to time, mainly because people get mixed messages about handicapping accuracy etc! Once explained it's always been accepted quickly. At all the clubs the main issue has been club championship and an elite golfer turning up once a year to play the one event.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our Senior's Championship has a requirement that a player must have played in so many seniors comps before they can enter.

It is done that way because otherwise we would have some players who would only ever play in the Championship and not support other seniors events.