Number of putts per round

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Noticed a stat for this I hadn't seen before on hole19.

Checked and my most recent round was 35 putts for a full 18. Was ridiculously happy with that.

Got me thinking, what is the average for a handicap golfer, so what's your usual?

If you have a HCP, would be good to know what it is too to see if there's a difference

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I was keeping stats via Scoresaver2 I was averaging 32.79 which according to their software equated to a 12 handicap which is what I'm off now. I stopped taking the stats several seasons ago but if I was going to get back into collecting the data I'd prefer to use something that shows strokes gained

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Number of putts can be misleading..
Hit every green in regulation and 2 putt = 36 putts.
Miss every green, chip on and 1 putt =18 putts but the same score...
Also 2 putting every green from 5 feet means you're a crap putter..
2 putting every green from 30 feet and you're doing ok.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Imurg

E.G. My best has been 23 putts in a round but there were an awful lot of up and down single putts

When I bother to work it out these days anything under 30 is a good day and anything over 30 not so good.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me I think 30-31 is a good putting round, 32-33 is decent (probably about average) and more than 34 I'll be disappointed as it usually means I didn't really hole anything out of the ordinary. That takes into account that I'll probably have one or two three putts since I only hit around a third of greens in regulation and a couple of those will typically be right on the edge with a long first putt.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 36.4 puts a round, but that’s not the full story.

I have 2.3 puts per hole when hitting a green in regulation, therefore less than 2 puts average when not. Because I miss greens frequently I have quite a few chip and 1 puts which make my putting stats appear better than they should be.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1.5 for greens hit in regulation. This is for competitions only. I don't see the point of keeping stats for friendly games.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Putts per round doesn’t really convey much as said above. strokes gained for putting is what you want to look at.

You can run the score through an online calculator and see how you compare to your stats and where you sit in terms of typically handicap.

I use my GPS to track length of putts post round and do this once in a while to see if I’ve improved or worsened on average.

It’s also quite easy to do on a practice green, I take ten putts from specific locations of a set distance and keep score of how many putts overall I had and then compare see how your strokes gained fairs it gives a much more realistic example.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I average 33 per round.
As indicated already the total putts stat doesn’t take account of footage and usually varies depending on greens in regulation.
As per Imurg, post #4, a different stat which effectively measures your short game / scrambling / chipping / putts would be:
Total putts minus greens in regulation.
The ‘level’ number would be 18, every hole hit in regulation and two putts.
Same number could be achieved by missing all greens in regulation, chipping close and single putting.
I think monitoring this number will give an indication of your short game strengths, and identify areas of weakness.
I have a target of 26 for this number, if I hit it, I’ve had a decent round.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
31-35, for me it’s not the number of putts that matters, I would rather have 7-8 tap ins than have to make 7-8 4 footers for par/bogey.

Hoganman1

Visit site
My index is currently 8.8 and I usually average 33 putts per round. The question I have is do you count putting from the fringe rather than chipping. When I calculate putts I count those from off the green. I'm not sure the pro tours factor in "Text Wedge" shots as putts.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My index is currently 8.8 and I usually average 33 putts per round. The question I have is do you count putting from the fringe rather than chipping. When I calculate putts I count those from off the green. I'm not sure the pro tours factor in "Text Wedge" shots as putts.

The way I understand it is:
A putt is a shot played on the green.
A shot from the fringe with your putter is not a putt.
A shot on the green with your 3 iron is a putt.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't keep stats but I did realise after 6 holes today I'd had 7 putts ?

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

My chipping is pretty good generally so don't really putt unless I'm on the green

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Number of putts can be misleading..
Hit every green in regulation and 2 putt = 36 putts.
Miss every green, chip on and 1 putt =18 putts but the same score...
Also 2 putting every green from 5 feet means you're a crap putter..
2 putting every green from 30 feet and you're doing ok.

Exactly why strokes gained putting is such a better star to look at ?