NPZ

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
My ball stopped short of a no play zone . I would likely have connected with said npz on my follow through. Should I have taken relief ? I did anyway as it was just a knock about. What about in a competition?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My ball stopped short of a no play zone . I would likely have connected with said npz on my follow through. Should I have taken relief ? I did anyway as it was just a knock about. What about in a competition?
It depends on whether the NPZ was defined as ACC (GUR) or a Penalty Area.

What would you have connected with?

Last edited:

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
These are drainage works on the fairway that have been seeded. I didn't really want to make a divot in one so moved away.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
These are drainage works on the fairway that have been seeded. I didn't really want to make a divot in one so moved away.
Was the area defined as GUR or as a Penalty Area? I would guess as GUR.
If your ball was not in the GUR how would you take a divot from the ground in the area.
But if you are saying the ball was adjacent to the margin then it would seem that the GUR would have interfered with your swing. So you would be entitled to take relief.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Was the area defined as GUR or as a Penalty Area? I would guess as GUR.
If your ball was not in the GUR how would you take a divot from the ground in the area.
But if you are saying the ball was adjacent to the margin then it would seem that the GUR would have interfered with your swing. So you would be entitled to take relief.
Yes GUR, ball was like almost touching the white line, so would have made a divot in the npz

Steven Rules

Visit site
If your ball stopped just short of the NPZ, does that mean your stance was in the NPZ? If so then that also triggers a requirement to take relief.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
If your ball stopped just short of the NPZ, does that mean your stance was in the NPZ? If so then that also triggers a requirement to take relief.
No I was near the end and stance not in it. I'd have taken relief if I were stood in it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes GUR, ball was like almost touching the white line, so would have made a divot in the npz
When I asked about the type of area and what caused the possible interference I was thinking of this clarification re overhanging plants.

No Play Zone/1 – Status of Growing Things Overhanging a No Play Zone

The status of growing things that overhang a no play zone depends on the type of no play zone. This will matter since the growing things may be part of the no play zone, in which case the player is required to take relief.

For example, if a no play zone has been defined as a penalty area (where the edges extend above and below the ground), any part of a growing object that extends beyond the edges of the no play zone is not part of the no play zone. However, if a no play zone has been defined as ground under repair (which includes all ground inside the defined area and anything growing that extends above the ground and outside the edges), anything overhanging the edge is part of the NPZ

salfordlad

Visit site
Interference?
I'm noting, in practice, most of the time it will make no difference whether it is ACC or PA, the interference will be decided precisely the same way. It is different in the special case of interference with growing things inside the NPZ overhanging the edge of the NPZ.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm noting, in practice, most of the time it will make no difference whether it is ACC or PA, the interference will be decided precisely the same way. It is different in the special case of interference with growing things inside the NPZ overhanging the edge of the NPZ.
I can't find an equivalent relief to 16.1a for a penalty area.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We seem to be talking at cross purposes. I'm not really following what you are saying here.
The OP suggested the ball was adjacent to a NPZ
I indicated that he might get interference relief depending on whether the NPZ was based on ACC/GUR or on a PA
The OP said it was GUR
I said he would qualify for interference relief implying he would not if it was a PA.

Colin has now corrected my misunderstanding and pointed our exactly what I was looking for. 16.1f(2)
I kept missing the key words

(whether in an abnormal course condition or in a penalty area)