Novice Courses (wide fairways)

bruss49

Visit site
Hi all,

The two of us have only been playing for nine months or so and are having lessons and are progressing nicely. However, some of our shots can go a bit wayward.

We regularly play Aqualate in telford, and love it because of its layed back attitude and the fact that the fairways are ridiculously wide. (Perfect for us), and love it.

We are going to go further afield soon, and would love to play a couple of rounds on a weekend away in the UK, however, we are nervous of anything too tight (its not necessarily a par 3 we are after, just a forgiving fairway)

Please could you let me have your suggestions as to anywhere you have played that is kind to the beginners?

all options considered

thanks very much

Bruss

Crumplezone

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Just go and play where you fancy. You're going to have to play a more difficult course eventually. Very few are that difficult. Worst that can happen is you'll lose a few balls. Just let people play through if you think you're holding them up.

Saying that, I found 9 hole courses were great when I was starting. Holes are shorter and attitudes are more relaxed. Great for honing your skills. I still play them regularly now for a quick game.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say look for a shorter course, rather than a wider course. Far easier to find out the length of a course rather than how much rough there is.

Shorter is going to mean, in the main, easier. Anything at 5,000 yards or below should be good fun for beginners and is pretty unlikely to be savage.

RandomReload

Visit site
One of my local golf centres has a shorter 9-holes where the fairways seem to be wider and the course in general more forgiving:-

Princes Course (A&B) - 18 Holes - £18 (£20 weekends)
White Tees - Par 73 - 6639 Yards
Yellow Tees - Par 73 - 6445 Yards
Red Tees - Par 74 - 5908 Yards

Bishops Course (C&D) - 18 Holes - £18 (£20 weekends)
Yellow Tees - Par 71 - 5917 Yards
Red Tees - Par 72 - 5516 Yards

Dukes Course (E) - 9 Holes - £12 (play twice £14)
White Tees - Par 35 - 2327 Yards

I’ve heard it referred to as the “Junior“ “Academy“ and “Beginner” course, and is what I’ve been advised to play first (until I’m more consistent and confident) before considering the larger courses, I guess it also saves the larger courses getting chewed up by beginners that are hacking their way up-and-down, an additional bonus is that it’s cheaper to play than the others too!

bruss49

Visit site
One of my local golf centres has a shorter 9-holes where the fairways seem to be wider and the course in general more forgiving:-

Princes Course (A&B) - 18 Holes - £18 (£20 weekends)
White Tees - Par 73 - 6639 Yards
Yellow Tees - Par 73 - 6445 Yards
Red Tees - Par 74 - 5908 Yards

Bishops Course (C&D) - 18 Holes - £18 (£20 weekends)
Yellow Tees - Par 71 - 5917 Yards
Red Tees - Par 72 - 5516 Yards

Dukes Course (E) - 9 Holes - £12 (play twice £14)
White Tees - Par 35 - 2327 Yards

I’ve heard it referred to as the “Junior“ “Academy“ and “Beginner” course, and is what I’ve been advised to play first (until I’m more consistent and confident) before considering the larger courses, I guess it also saves the larger courses getting chewed up by beginners that are hacking their way up-and-down, an additional bonus is that it’s cheaper to play than the others too!

thanks, that looks a nice course.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

The two of us have only been playing for nine months or so and are having lessons and are progressing nicely. However, some of our shots can go a bit wayward.

We regularly play Aqualate in telford, and love it because of its layed back attitude and the fact that the fairways are ridiculously wide. (Perfect for us), and love it.

We are going to go further afield soon, and would love to play a couple of rounds on a weekend away in the UK, however, we are nervous of anything too tight (its not necessarily a par 3 we are after, just a forgiving fairway)

Please could you let me have your suggestions as to anywhere you have played that is kind to the beginners?

all options considered

thanks very much

Bruss

Played Aqualate a couple of times during the time that my parents lived in Wolverhampton and really enjoyed it. How is it these days?

Agree with the suggestion of Perton Park also.

Of the courses i played up there Wergs was a nice track. Long with some tight holes but an aesthetically pleasing course. Chesterton Valley was nice too. Played Horsehay Village in Telford a couple of times and that was alright.

I'd give Worfield and Swindon a swerve whilst you are learning. Both cracking courses but I found Worfield difficult and Swindon was what i'd imagine playing at the US Open would be like!

bruss49

Visit site
Played Aqualate a couple of times during the time that my parents lived in Wolverhampton and really enjoyed it. How is it these days?

Agree with the suggestion of Perton Park also.

Of the courses i played up there Wergs was a nice track. Long with some tight holes but an aesthetically pleasing course. Chesterton Valley was nice too. Played Horsehay Village in Telford a couple of times and that was alright.

I'd give Worfield and Swindon a swerve whilst you are learning. Both cracking courses but I found Worfield difficult and Swindon was what i'd imagine playing at the US Open would be like!
Thanks, Aqualate is in really good shape. very well kept, considering a few of the more expensive courses have struggled maintaining this year. The greens and fairways are lovely.