Nottingham Club Memberships

est.1971

Visit site
Hi All,

new here so hope all are safe and well.

I have just moved to Nottingham from Australia, i don't know any golfers here in town so am starting from a zero base. Im looking at joining a club here in Nottingham and am looking for quality golf courses. I play off a +3 handicap so like a good test. I am told Hollinwell and Sherwood Forest are the pick of clubs in Nottingham, does anyone know what sort of membership fees are involved to join these or equivalent clubs and how difficult they are to join?

I am a member of a nice Jack Nicklaus course back in Australia but that doesn't really help me here.

Any advice or feedback would really be appreciated.

Thanks

NearHull

Visit site
I suggest going onto Nottinghamshire Golf Union site and checking out their Inter Club scratch Premiership leagues. The clubs in there will probably be good tracks, I know that Sherwood and Worksop are in there. Lindrick is also very good.

est.1971

Visit site
Welcome!! Those 3 courses will see you ok!

...you'll be ok when you mention +3.

But, will you have any cash left for fees after you have bought all the extra warm clothing, waterproofs etc! :)

hahah thanks IanM....... yes the climate change is a shock to the system and i only laughed the other day as i realised i will need an umbrella and all the kit to stay dry and warm. Fun fun fun.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hopefully @Tashyboy will chip in shortly. This is his neck of the woods.

Quickly drop in the fact that you are a +3 golfer when looking at any club, I'm sure you will get an extra warm welcome then ?.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
hahah thanks IanM....... yes the climate change is a shock to the system and i only laughed the other day as i realised i will need an umbrella and all the kit to stay dry and warm. Fun fun fun.

...Wife and I played Bonville a couple of years ago it was over 40c... then another in Queensland that was even hotter! Hollinwell in January will sort you out!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Heyup me man and welcome to the forum. I was in Oz last year and why to god you would come here al never know. But welcome “ me duck” To the Forum.
Anyway biggest question is what part of Notts do you live.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I grew up North Nottingham, Hollinwell, Sherwood Forest, Coxmoor (probably in that order for me). Further out Worksop / Lindrick (Probably too far for a membership dependent on where you live). Other options closer to the city Wollaton Park was nice, Beeston Fields was ok too if I remember right (was a few years back). I don’t know south Nottingham as well. There are also a few nice courses near D*rby, I used to hop over the border to play Breadsall Priory as a friend was a member but more of a hotel golf club feel but had two courses.

est.1971

Visit site
Hopefully @Tashyboy will chip in shortly. This is his neck of the woods.

Quickly drop in the fact that you are a +3 golfer when looking at any club, I'm sure you will get an extra warm welcome then ?.
...Wife and I played Bonville a couple of years ago it was over 40c... then another in Queensland that was even hotter! Hollinwell in January will sort you out!

IanM......beautiful course Bonneville......... it can get very hot down in the valley there. Lots of good golf all along the coast there, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

est.1971

Visit site
Heyup me man and welcome to the forum. I was in Oz last year and why to god you would come here al never know. But welcome “ me duck” To the Forum.
Anyway biggest question is what part of Notts do you live.

Tashyboy, thanks for following up. I am actually just south of Nottingham in Barton In Fabis, just near Gotham. I have managed to find the driving range at Charnwood but thats the extent so far. You're right about the change though, its a big move and a very different place to my home back in Australia...... I have been doing a month in the UK and a month back home for the past few years and just got sick of the commute so here i am :)
Any advice on golf and courses in the area would really be appreciated, i guess this time of year isnt ideal but Ill be keen none the less. I take it you are based here in Nottingham?

est.1971

Visit site
I grew up North Nottingham, Hollinwell, Sherwood Forest, Coxmoor (probably in that order for me). Further out Worksop / Lindrick (Probably too far for a membership dependent on where you live). Other options closer to the city Wollaton Park was nice, Beeston Fields was ok too if I remember right (was a few years back). I don’t know south Nottingham as well. There are also a few nice courses near D*rby, I used to hop over the border to play Breadsall Priory as a friend was a member but more of a hotel golf club feel but had two courses.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like there are a lot of options.

Tashyboy

Visit site
As HH mentioned, the premier courses are Hollinwell, Sherwood and Lindrick which technically is south Yorks, but is 5 mins from Worksop.
Next level down is Coxmoor, although I loved Wollaton. There’s just something about playing golf when 50 deer are watching you. Although it is unnerving walking past a bloody great stag. .
south Notts area, the Nottinghamshire golf club seems to do well, but it don’t have wow factor for me.
A big Consideration for me is where you live.
I know a couple of members who play at Sherwood so if you fancied a knock there I could put you in touch?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Tashyboy, thanks for following up. I am actually just south of Nottingham in Barton In Fabis, just near Gotham. I have managed to find the driving range at Charnwood but thats the extent so far. You're right about the change though, its a big move and a very different place to my home back in Australia...... I have been doing a month in the UK and a month back home for the past few years and just got sick of the commute so here i am :)
Any advice on golf and courses in the area would really be appreciated, i guess this time of year isnt ideal but Ill be keen none the less. I take it you are based here in Nottingham?

I live Mansfield area, my nearest course is actually Sherwood about a mile away. Just had a google and I may well look at the Nottinghamshire if I was you. 2 x 18 hole courses. nice clubhouse.
My regret was not playing in Oz last year. I met up with my lad who was out there at the time, he was working solar panel farms near Griffith. His Aim is to try for residency out there which has kinda gone tits up due to Covid. Watch this space on that one. He heard Oz is building the worlds largest solar farm north of the country and his eyes lit up.
Just loved the wildlife out in Oz. My fave animal being the bin dipper aka ibis. ?

est.1971

Visit site
I live Mansfield area, my nearest course is actually Sherwood about a mile away. Just had a google and I may well look at the Nottinghamshire if I was you. 2 x 18 hole courses. nice clubhouse.
My regret was not playing in Oz last year. I met up with my lad who was out there at the time, he was working solar panel farms near Griffith. His Aim is to try for residency out there which has kinda gone tits up due to Covid. Watch this space on that one. He heard Oz is building the worlds largest solar farm north of the country and his eyes lit up.
Just loved the wildlife out in Oz. My fave animal being the bin dipper aka ibis. ?

Tashyboy, glad to hear you had a great time down there. If your son is there he will be ok, lots of opportunity in that space and its only getting busier. Im not sure what the residencey side of things is like there due to Covid but the government is pathetically strict there..... too much so in my opinion. As for the bin dipper...... they're hard not to like :LOL:
A few years ago there was a thai restaurant that got caught serving them up as chicken......... the bin dipper was aptly renamed "Bin Chicken":ROFLMAO:

Ill be sure to have a look at the Nottinghamshire purely for the locality, maybe Beeston fields as well. Certainly looks like Hollinwell and Sherwood Forest are the pick though. Are there any courses worthwhile in Loughborough or Leicester? Seems about the same distance from my end if i was to consider courses up your way on the north side of town.

Tashyboy

Visit site
South of the Nottinghamshire am outta my depth. So honestly couldn’t say.

Lad is back in the UK now. So getting back out could be a struggle. Never say never.

Back to Oz, me and Missis T thought Brisbane was a fantastic City and were not really City people. Got a lovely photo of a Koala folding Missis Ts left breast ?

est.1971

Visit site
South of the Nottinghamshire am outta my depth. So honestly couldn’t say.

Lad is back in the UK now. So getting back out could be a struggle. Never say never.

Back to Oz, me and Missis T thought Brisbane was a fantastic City and were not really City people. Got a lovely photo of a Koala folding Missis Ts left breast ?

Brisbane is a great town, big enough for some energy but still has a small city feel, some good golf there too and warm all year round. I am from the Gold Coast about 50 miles down the coast on the beach :cool:

D

Deleted member 18588

Tashyboy, glad to hear you had a great time down there. If your son is there he will be ok, lots of opportunity in that space and its only getting busier. Im not sure what the residencey side of things is like there due to Covid but the government is pathetically strict there..... too much so in my opinion. As for the bin dipper...... they're hard not to like :LOL:
A few years ago there was a thai restaurant that got caught serving them up as chicken......... the bin dipper was aptly renamed "Bin Chicken":ROFLMAO:

Ill be sure to have a look at the Nottinghamshire purely for the locality, maybe Beeston fields as well. Certainly looks like Hollinwell and Sherwood Forest are the pick though. Are there any courses worthwhile in Loughborough or Leicester? Seems about the same distance from my end if i was to consider courses up your way on the north side of town.
Longcliffe (Loughborough) is a decent course. Leicestershire as a county has many reasonable members courses with none being outstanding although Longcliffe is ahead of the rest.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Brisbane is a great town, big enough for some energy but still has a small city feel, some good golf there too and warm all year round. I am from the Gold Coast about 50 miles down the coast on the beach :cool:
Me and Missis T drove as far north as Eumundi and Noosa head, calling in at Pelican waters to see relatives, and as far south as Byron bay. In fact I saw this years waterproof golf coat in Byron bay. Al Have it on tomorrow ? called in at Brunswick heads, Coolangata ( Two New Years party’s due to the time differance, winner winner chicken dinner ?) , Burleigh heads. Then Gold Coast, Southport.
Re gold coast, my lad was looking at doing a uni course at Griffith university there prior to Covid rearing it’s head. We like GC.
Being English, I had to call into Yatala Pie shop ??hmmmmmmm.
Had a drive around ruby bay Cleveland, told Missis T she can have a pad there if the lottery comes in.
yup happy days indeed.
just wish JB hifi would open up a few shops over here ?

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sherwood Forest and Hollinwell speak for themselves as the two Nottinghamshire clubs in the GB&I Top 100. Sherwood hosted the Brabazon Trophy (English Open Amateur Strokeplay) this year, and Notts GC (Hollinwell) is an Open Championship qualifying venue. I think that both still have entrance fees, not sure about waiting lists, but these often don’t apply for golfers of your standard. Not sure how either stands as a golf club, as opposed to a golf course. Not far away from those two, and a notch below them, Coxmoor is still a fine course, even better with changes they've made recently. Brand new £1.5m clubhouse too. Worksop is another good track in the north of the county.

I’m a member at Wollaton Park, which is set in about one quarter of a 500-acre park overlooked by an Elizabethan mansion. Only 3 miles from the city centre, with deer roaming freely, it's a lovely walk even if you're playing badly. Decent course too, sand based and therefore playable 12 months of the year. Beeston Fields is up the road from us and I always enjoy my annual battle with their greens. It can get very wet in winter, as can Chilwell Manor close by, which is a friendly club.

Stanton-on-the-Wolds further south is a nice summer course. Mainly flat, they are rightly proud of their fantastic greens. The Nottinghamshire Golf and Country Club (previously Cotgrave Place) is a newer venue, around 30 years old. It boasts two courses which have had a lot of investment recently.

Not an expert on the Leicestershire courses, but Longcliffe and Rothley Park are two that I found enjoyable.