not using tees on teebox

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Just a quicky but I'm interested to hear how many of you DONT use tees on clubs other than the driver.

I've monitored my success rate and have noticed a dramatic different when using 9i-3w on the tee box. The fact is, for some reason I am hopeless when teeing the ball slightly up for better purchase. I've decided I'm not going to change it as I'm happy enough playing from the floor and dont do any damage to the surface. That and I dont want to take a step backwards and ruin something that is working.

does anyone else have this problem?

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's very rare I hit any irons from a tee as is prefer hitting them off the floor. I seem to hit my 3 and 5 wood better from the floor too.

woods, hybrids and irons, the ball is just dropped on the tee box, you need a decent standard of tee area though, some muni tee boxes are like semi rough

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a tee for all tee shots, gives me the perfect lie

There's something wrong if you cant get the perfect lie on a tee box :D

I disagree. A properly kept tee box will have very short grass and getting even a few mm "lift" for a long iron or 3 wood is not exactly easy.

If you are not teeing it up and then not scuffing/divot the surface, something's not right. I love hitting a fairway wood off a fluffy lie, but I can't remember ever playing off a teeing box that could possibly recreate a lie as good as that.

Maybe your tees are not so closely mown, in which case, go for it if it suits you. :D

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use a tee for all tee shots, gives me the perfect lie

There's something wrong if you cant get the perfect lie on a tee box :D

You obviously haven't seen the tee boxes where I play! You might as well be placing your ball in a bunker!! It's so full of unprepared divots you'd be better teeing off from in the rough!!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always use the tee, it adds a little distance to my tee shots too allowing me to take less club into tricky par 3s.

The extra distance I assume comes from being able to sit the ball up perfectly so I can hit the iron right out the sweet spot more often than I can on more variable fairway lies.

I agree with Bob, why make the game harder?

I cannot see why someone would not use one!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally I always use a tee. My only problem is on the odd occasion that I play a par 3 that needs less than PW. Cannot hit a SW or gap wedge off a tee very well.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally I always use a tee. My only problem is on the odd occasion that I play a par 3 that needs less than PW. Cannot hit a SW or gap wedge off a tee very well.

I always tee those clubs VERY low, just enough to recreate a "perfect fairway" lie.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Down to PW I'll tee it up - can't remember having to hit GW or SW from a tee before - hardly at all for 6-pw and not much more for the 5,4 and hybrid. 3 wood gets a little more though.
Laura Davies used to just knock up a bit of grass with the end of her club and balance the ball on that...

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are we saying that people just make a good lie with short tees for irons/hybrids or does anyone go in for teeing up similar to a driver a little further forward and sweeping the ball???

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are we saying that people just make a good lie with short tees for irons/hybrids or does anyone go in for teeing up similar to a driver a little further forward and sweeping the ball???

I cannot speak for everyone but I guess most of us only do that with a driver or a 3 wood and the rest are looking for spin as we are trying to stop the ball on a tricky par 3 green.

Even when I hit irons off the tee on par 4s I swing the same as from the fairway.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Apart from the driver, I never use a tee. Prefer to punch my irons from a nice tight lie. Also when I tee up my irons I usually shank them. :( :(

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always use the tee, it adds a little distance to my tee shots too allowing me to take less club into tricky par 3s.

The extra distance I assume comes from being able to sit the ball up perfectly so I can hit the iron right out the sweet spot more often than I can on more variable fairway lies.

Now, that's strange.

I've always found that teeing the ball up for an iron shot results in less distance, not more. I'll always take at least 1 club more, not less.

Could it be that because I nearly always take a divot with an iron, I am hitting the ball too far up the club face if it's teed up therefore missing the sweet spot which I assume is near the bottom of the club face?