Not releasing

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's been driving me nuts. I have been really struggling to release the club face and bring my hands through for some reason. This leaves the clubface open and causes a bit of a slice.

If I do release, the ball goes nice and straight. Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I go about solving this? Any drills or tips appreciated! :rolleyes:

B

birdieman

Grip using the fingers and not the palms.

Grip firmly with the right hand and softly with the left hand.

Take both pinkies off the grip for a few practice swings.

Split hands 4" apart on grip and do a few practice swings.

Hit some balls with feet together when practicing - will force you to release clubhead.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find a good drill to help release the hands, is to swing the club like a baseball bat with your arms and club horizontal. Then slowly lower while still swinging until your in your address position.

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1.did you play football? think of hitting an inswinging corner(right footed). feel like you are turning your hands over through the impact area.
2.a while back, my pro also suggested, when at the range, try and hit 10 draws using only your hands, this will turn over the clubface, then after 10 balls, try a normal shot. this has also worked for me in the past.
3. picture a pane of glass around 6 inches in front of you, the idea is to break the pane of glass with the butt of the club on your downswing through the impact area.
hope you can visualise these drills! good luck!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
feel like you are turning your hands over through the impact area.

which part of that video with the split grip drill is he saying (or trying) to get your wrists rolling over?

Rolling your wrists over is categorically THE worst thing you can do in a golf swing!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
L to L drill.

half swings from 9 to 3.

http://eugenegolflessons.com/StartingOut.aspx

Something along these lines. If you get it right, you can fix your timing (release) easier then falling off a log.

If at first you can't hit it straight, actively try to hook it - like a right to left curler into the top corner of the goal!!!

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
m8, was not looking for a dispute! was passing on some of the stuff ive been taught from my pro over the years! it helped me square the club, so im passing it on! it may well be the placebo effect, maybe what feels like turning over the hands is actually squaring the clubface up. you gotta try things, some work some dont! but whatever your opinions, we all have our own approach!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just like Rory :)

Mac1.jpg

Mac2.jpg

Mac3.jpg

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You can try this at home...

Hold both your hands out in front of you somewhere about the height of your navel then make an imaginary grip.

Notice how your right arm sits above your left?

You don't need to be rolling your wrists or manipulating your swing to have your right hand higher though the ball when the club comes up to waist height, it's natural.

However, rolling your wrists and trying to get your forearms to cross over isn't. Rory doesn't do either of those.