No smoking on the course

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Lickey Hills - right where I work - set on fire the other day.

Currently the golf course is closed.

Public land and I believe it was started by a BBQ close by, no reports on damage to the course yet but the whole road is still closed as investigations take place.

sunshine

Visit site
Has a golf course ever set on fire due to a cigarette? Luckily we don't have a smoking ban but if we did I would still smoke on a path between holes or somewhere, would just be extra cautious to make sure it's fully out.

I have an image of you sitting in a field with a little portable bbq, smoking and drinking bottles of wkd, irritating everyone else with your loud music on tinny speaker. Then throwing it all in the long grass and going home to let someone else deal with your mess.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I fully agree that is a recipe for disaster. That's why I said I would only smoke on a path between holes and put the but in an empty bottle. Some idiots still think that is going to cause an inferno!
Some idiots also think the rules do not apply to them , very selfish indeed .

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We did a couple of years back. Not seen any notice of one recently though.

We put a smoking ban in place at the start of this week due to the extremely dry conditions on parts of the course. I don't believe it's a permanent ban, but it also includes vaping which I thought was odd. Does vaping use a sparking flame? I've no idea, but can only guess that's why vaping has been banned too.

D

Deleted member 3432

We put a smoking ban in place at the start of this week due to the extremely dry conditions on parts of the course. I don't believe it's a permanent ban, but it also includes vaping which I thought was odd. Does vaping use a sparking flame? I've no idea, but can only guess that's why vaping has been banned too.

We had an incident at work where someone's vape set on fire in their pocket ending up spreading over the floor and setting that on fire too.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I am guessng it is to avoid confusion as so as any plumes of smoke can be identified as a rules breach rather than having to identify if someone is smoking or vaping. Vaping does involve heat but it is all internal and stops when you stop pressing the button.

As for vapes catching on fire, rare but possible. Most are regulated so shut off if there is any issue but if some is using an unregulated mod then there could be issues. Main problem is battery safety. People put spare batteries striaght in their pocket rather than in a case and then their keys or loose change connects to the positive and negative terminals and then they get hot and go boom.