No more European Tour on Sky

D

Deleted member 15344

Explain please?

They have bought the right to show golf from 2022 (unofficially suspected as being the date) so what do you mean by no rights in the UK?

Golf TV ( Discovery ) have secured the rights to show the PGA tour in the UK from 2022

At the moment they havent got the rights to show the ET in the UK that’s still with Sky but they will show the tour in multiple other countries

I did read today that Sky are looking to spend a lot of money in getting the Champions League back so other sports will suffer - the uptake in subscribing to Sky to watch golf etc hasn’t been a success apparently as well as Golf governing bodies want to get more “online”

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens to golf coverage over the next couple of years

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Explain please?

They have bought the right to show golf from 2022 (unofficially suspected as being the date) so what do you mean by no rights in the UK?
The one I’d seen earlier only had the rights listed for other territories and not the uk, I mistakenly presumed the same here. Albeit unclear when the European tour will change. I can see now that it’ll be 2022for pga tour at least.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Does this mean golf will be covered by multiple broadcasters meaning one subscription for PGA tour, another for ET etc? If so, that has to be bad news?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Does this mean golf will be covered by multiple broadcasters meaning one subscription for PGA tour, another for ET etc? If so, that has to be bad news?

I'm still not sure what I'm not getting but as far as I can see they (US an European) will be broadcast by the same company, both coming online in 2022?

TheDork

Visit site

Excuse my ignorance here but how is it bad news ? For the consumer ? The tours ? The Broadcasters ?

I don't have Sky, I would love to see the PGA online so I can pick and choose what I want to watch rather than having to subscribe to Sky for a load of rubbish I have no interest in.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance here but how is it bad news ? For the consumer ? The tours ? The Broadcasters ?

I don't have Sky, I would love to see the PGA online so I can pick and choose what I want to watch rather than having to subscribe to Sky for a load of rubbish I have no interest in.
Generally speaking. More providers means more costs. Most providers want £10 a month for their products or like £7 for a one off event. Meaning most pay monthly fees for the extra that add up to more than what you’d pay sky.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Generally speaking. More providers means more costs. Most providers want £10 a month for their products or like £7 for a one off event. Meaning most pay monthly fees for the extra that add up to more than what you’d pay sky.
Papas has nailed it. Multiple broadcasters means multiple subscriptions so therefore greater cost to watch what is already covered by a single subscription to Sky.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I guess it depends though
If you just want golf then even £10pm for pga (& even another £10 for et) is a lot cheaper than a sky sport package

Obviously you get a lot more than just golf with sky but that's really only useful if you're one of the people who actually want more than golf

edit: a quick work out tells me that over and above the golf that I watch a lot of, I also pay for around 1,500 live football games per year in my sports pack... I watched zero!

I'd rather pay just for golf

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I guess it depends though
If you just want golf then even £10pm for pga (& even another £10 for et) is a lot cheaper than a sky sport package

Obviously you get a lot more than just golf with sky but that's really only useful if you're one of the people who actually want more than golf

edit: a quick work out tells me that over and above the golf that I watch a lot of, I also pay for around 1,500 live football games per year in my sports pack... I watched zero!

I'd rather pay just for golf
I would imagine for a few people it may work out cheaper, but what if sky keep a major and still want you to tie in for a year. Then all of a sudden its gonna cost more.

If you could get all sports at say £5 a pop and choose your favourite i would accept that it will generally benefit the consumer, but i can't see that happening. So on average those paying to watch sports will see their bills raised.

Football is a good example, if all you like is footy. Since bt entered the market, will having two suppliers have made anyones costs lower?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I would imagine for a few people it may work out cheaper, but what if sky keep a major and still want you to tie in for a year. Then all of a sudden its gonna cost more.

If you could get all sports at say £5 a pop and choose your favourite i would accept that it will generally benefit the consumer, but i can't see that happening. So on average those paying to watch sports will see their bills raised.

Football is a good example, if all you like is footy. Since bt entered the market, will having two suppliers have made anyones costs lower?

I think the thing with football is that the majority of fans are not football fans, they're fans of 'a' football team

Your average fan like this isn't really interested in watching anyone else except a few other big games, so in reality they already really overpay on games watched V cost regardless of how many broadcasters have it, so again selecting which to watch is no bad thing

Out with football nearly everyone else is also overpaying for every other sport because there is no alternative broadcaster to just get your golf or whatever

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think the thing with football is that the majority of fans are not football fans, they're fans of 'a' football team

Your average fan like this isn't really interested in watching anyone else except a few other big games, so in reality they already really overpay on games watched V cost regardless of how many broadcasters have it, so again selecting which to watch is no bad thing

Out with football nearly everyone else is also overpaying for every other sport because there is no alternative broadcaster to just get your golf or whatever

I don't think thats really the case. I support Saints and will watch football at the weekend and bt midweek and its been very rare i've had the opportunity to watch saints on bt.....
I oubt fans of smaller clubs have sky sports simply for the 4 times our teams may be on tv.....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I personally don't think Sky have evolved enough to warrant any loyalty from it's customers. Golf especially has gotten worse over time, their commentary team is poor as is the presentation.

I'm quite excited about getting a fresh new broadcast team.

Even happier to be finally getting that horrible man Roe off of my screen.