No golf until March maybe ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad you guys are all happy! I'm still gutted that I paid a new membership at Christmas I've not been able to use, and going stir crazy twiddling my thumbs at home every weekend. Still, if it's March that's not the worst outcome, so fingers crossed on that I suppose. February is a short month after all. ??

Yep, paying £88 a month to not play golf, with the bad weather we had in December plus November’s lockdown, that’ll be £400-£500 for nowt.

Missing it badly, all I seem to be doing is working, watching tv, going to bed, working, watching tv, going to bed. Cannot get motivated to go for a walk every day, but would gladly walk around a golf course for 3 hours fatting wedges in the soft conditions!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yep, paying £88 a month to not play golf, with the bad weather we had in December plus November’s lockdown, that’ll be £400-£500 for nowt.

Missing it badly, all I seem to be doing is working, watching tv, going to bed, working, watching tv, going to bed. Cannot get motivated to go for a walk every day, but would gladly walk around a golf course for 3 hours fatting wedges in the soft conditions!

We've got the same daily schedule! I bet half the nation do!

I miss the banter with the lads, the early morning maccies breakfast run on a sunday, the driving range, jokes with the lads in the pro shop, the post round pint, the birdie dances (yeah we do that), the first tee shot with no warm up - all of it.

I miss golf big time.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Likewise...except I don't have the luxury of work....:(

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Glad you guys are all happy! I'm still gutted that I paid a new membership at Christmas I've not been able to use, and going stir crazy twiddling my thumbs at home every weekend. Still, if it's March that's not the worst outcome, so fingers crossed on that I suppose. February is a short month after all. ??

Some friends of mine have done the same - there's a course not too far away that is built on sand and drains very well in the winter (when the local ones are usually waterlogged) and they do winter memberships from December to end of March for about £200. Some of my friends took advantage of the offer this year but then haven't been able to use it.

I am starting to get a bit of an itch to play now and w've still got a long way to go before its allowed. I don't think we're going to be playing before easter personally and yesterdays events go someway to confirming that. I've just been practicing putting on the landing and doing some posture drills in the mirror. To help mitigate my rising desire to play I've booked my clubs in to be re-gripped at the local range next week and also provisionally booked a fitting for 3rd April but I'm doubtful that'll go ahead even then.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

welcome to my hamster wheel

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/golf-reopening-safe-says-science/

An updated report on golf reopening in England and Wales has claimed the sport “should be permitted to return during the current phase of national lockdown” if scientific evidence is to be applied “logically and consistently”.

A new version of ‘Covid-19 Secure Golf in the United Kingdom’ states that “Operational experience strongly suggests that golf can be played safely on course during this national lockdown, to risk assessed enhanced hygiene and social distancing measures”.

Issued by the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf, the body said the paper was updated to include greater evidence and rationale from leading experts to again make the case for the sport to make an early return – after Government said it intended to maintain a ‘science first’ approach in decision making over coronavirus restrictions.

It was informed by Professor Charlie Foster, the principal advisor on physical activity for health to the four UK chief medial officers, and Dr Andrew Murray, a consultant in sport exercise and medicine at the University of Edinburgh and the chief medical officer to the European Tour.

Copies of the 13-page report have been sent to prime minister Boris Johnson and the chief medical officers in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

While golf is permitted, under restrictions, in Scotland, clubs in the rest of the home nations have been closed during national lockdowns.

In an overview to the findings, the report states that: “Overall, golf has the same health benefits as walking, cycling and running and, if anything, with the uncrowded nature of courses and strict protocols provided, risk of transmission during golf is lower than these other health enhancing physical activities.

“If scientific evidence is to be applied logically and consistently, golf should be permitted to return during the current phase of national lockdown (commencing 4 January 2021), incorporating enhanced protocols appropriate for the new variant described in this paper.”

It later adds that: “Operational experience strongly suggests that golf can be played safely on course during this national lockdown, to risk assessed enhanced hygiene and social distancing measures. In lockdown conditions golf can be played within a household group, or with two adults from different households.

“At lower COVID-19 alert levels (Tier 1-4) golf can be played safely within the Rule of Six (fourball). Clubhouse, retail, and hospitality facilities, as predominantly indoor offerings are, and should be subject to additional restrictions at this point in the pandemic.”

The report advocates a range of measures for the safe management of golfing facilities that have been “enhanced to reflect the new variant and national lockdown”.

They include, for national lockdown or tiers higher than 4:

• 2 metres plus (aiming for 3 metres) should be adhered to for members of different households
  • 4 markings should be placed adjacent to the tees 3 metres apart, highlighting appropriate social distancing
  • Travel to the venue must be local
The report concludes by stating: “Golf (and other outdoor sports where physical distancing is possible) provides health enhancing physical activity across the lifespan and offers more control measures than persons walking or cycling on a busy road, street or beach.

“Scientifically, the benefits of permitting of golf with the enhanced COVID-19 protocols suggested for National Lockdown in this paper at this time very likely outweigh the disbenefits.

“The best available evidence suggests this is the right thing to do at this time.”

Professor Foster said: “As the paper shows, golf can be played safely, and it should have a central role in the government’s thinking when it comes to helping people exercise now and as we come out of pandemic restrictions.

“I have therefore recommended that an expert in physical activity join the SAGE advisory group to ensure there is consistency across the sciences represented within it, and to provide advice on allowing physical activity to return as restrictions are reduced.”

Dr Murray added: “Regular physical activity is one of the best things you can do for your health adding years to life, and having many mental and physical health benefits, be that through – for example – walking, cycling, running or golf. Golf’s careful planning, and compliance with COVID-19 tiers and regulation means its level of transmission from playing is likely to be extremely low, much lower than indoor space, or more populated outdoor areas.

“This is supported by the various scientific research the paper cites and I encourage those in SAGE and in government to review those as I am sure they will conclude that golf is similar to walking, running and cycling in being beneficial, and is safe to play with the relevant protocols in place.”

Craig Tracey, the North Warwickshire MP who is chair of the All-Party Group, added: “It is entirely understandable for government to utilise scientific advice available when creating its strategy, but it is equally important for that scientific evidence to be applied evenly.

“With the help of Professor Foster and Dr Murray, this paper provides that scientific evidence and demonstrates that golf can be played safely with the various enhanced protocols appropriate for the new variants.

“I am grateful to them and all the bodies in the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf for their hard work on preparing this thorough paper. Again we have been clearly able to make the case that golf is ready, willing and able to return safely at the earliest possible opportunity.”

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/golf-reopening-safe-says-science/

An updated report on golf reopening in England and Wales has claimed the sport “should be permitted to return during the current phase of national lockdown” if scientific evidence is to be applied “logically and consistently”.

A new version of ‘Covid-19 Secure Golf in the United Kingdom’ states that “Operational experience strongly suggests that golf can be played safely on course during this national lockdown, to risk assessed enhanced hygiene and social distancing measures”.

Issued by the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf, the body said the paper was updated to include greater evidence and rationale from leading experts to again make the case for the sport to make an early return – after Government said it intended to maintain a ‘science first’ approach in decision making over coronavirus restrictions.

It was informed by Professor Charlie Foster, the principal advisor on physical activity for health to the four UK chief medial officers, and Dr Andrew Murray, a consultant in sport exercise and medicine at the University of Edinburgh and the chief medical officer to the European Tour.

Copies of the 13-page report have been sent to prime minister Boris Johnson and the chief medical officers in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

While golf is permitted, under restrictions, in Scotland, clubs in the rest of the home nations have been closed during national lockdowns.

In an overview to the findings, the report states that: “Overall, golf has the same health benefits as walking, cycling and running and, if anything, with the uncrowded nature of courses and strict protocols provided, risk of transmission during golf is lower than these other health enhancing physical activities.

“If scientific evidence is to be applied logically and consistently, golf should be permitted to return during the current phase of national lockdown (commencing 4 January 2021), incorporating enhanced protocols appropriate for the new variant described in this paper.”

It later adds that: “Operational experience strongly suggests that golf can be played safely on course during this national lockdown, to risk assessed enhanced hygiene and social distancing measures. In lockdown conditions golf can be played within a household group, or with two adults from different households.

“At lower COVID-19 alert levels (Tier 1-4) golf can be played safely within the Rule of Six (fourball). Clubhouse, retail, and hospitality facilities, as predominantly indoor offerings are, and should be subject to additional restrictions at this point in the pandemic.”

The report advocates a range of measures for the safe management of golfing facilities that have been “enhanced to reflect the new variant and national lockdown”.

They include, for national lockdown or tiers higher than 4:

• 2 metres plus (aiming for 3 metres) should be adhered to for members of different households
  • 4 markings should be placed adjacent to the tees 3 metres apart, highlighting appropriate social distancing
  • Travel to the venue must be local
The report concludes by stating: “Golf (and other outdoor sports where physical distancing is possible) provides health enhancing physical activity across the lifespan and offers more control measures than persons walking or cycling on a busy road, street or beach.

“Scientifically, the benefits of permitting of golf with the enhanced COVID-19 protocols suggested for National Lockdown in this paper at this time very likely outweigh the disbenefits.

“The best available evidence suggests this is the right thing to do at this time.”

Professor Foster said: “As the paper shows, golf can be played safely, and it should have a central role in the government’s thinking when it comes to helping people exercise now and as we come out of pandemic restrictions.

“I have therefore recommended that an expert in physical activity join the SAGE advisory group to ensure there is consistency across the sciences represented within it, and to provide advice on allowing physical activity to return as restrictions are reduced.”

Dr Murray added: “Regular physical activity is one of the best things you can do for your health adding years to life, and having many mental and physical health benefits, be that through – for example – walking, cycling, running or golf. Golf’s careful planning, and compliance with COVID-19 tiers and regulation means its level of transmission from playing is likely to be extremely low, much lower than indoor space, or more populated outdoor areas.

“This is supported by the various scientific research the paper cites and I encourage those in SAGE and in government to review those as I am sure they will conclude that golf is similar to walking, running and cycling in being beneficial, and is safe to play with the relevant protocols in place.”

Craig Tracey, the North Warwickshire MP who is chair of the All-Party Group, added: “It is entirely understandable for government to utilise scientific advice available when creating its strategy, but it is equally important for that scientific evidence to be applied evenly.

“With the help of Professor Foster and Dr Murray, this paper provides that scientific evidence and demonstrates that golf can be played safely with the various enhanced protocols appropriate for the new variants.

“I am grateful to them and all the bodies in the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf for their hard work on preparing this thorough paper. Again we have been clearly able to make the case that golf is ready, willing and able to return safely at the earliest possible opportunity.”

I really hope they do look at this properly. Its stupid that my wife can go for a walk with a friend but I cant walk around a field, alone, with golf clubs.

thebigreason

Visit site
Missing my mates and the few hours I can wander around a golf course and forget about the worries of the world. I am sure we will be back soon but more importantly, lets be grateful we are still here to have a good old chinwag and whinge, some aren't.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not missing golf at all, happy putting at home to bring some improvements over last season.

I won’t get my clubs back from refurb until end of Feb anyway so really not bothered.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Missing golf in parts

Not had much time to miss it which is great timing to be on the rubbish part the roster with more weekdays and less weekends at work

But hey come April..

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think 5 or so years ago I would’ve suffered and began tearing my hair out, but I now stand guilty as charged.

Much to my chagrin I appear to have joined the ranks of the fair weather golfers.

Once and for the subsequent 20 years I would’ve played as Armageddon raged all around me, but now I’m not fussed.

Dire weather and ground conditions, playing in 2-balls, little or no banter, no drinks after the game? I can bide my time.

it’s golf, Jim, but not as I know it. :)

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are ranges not shut in Scotland? - St Andrews Links Academy range certainly was when I checked a couple of weeks ago - not that I've got a legitimate reason to go to St Andrews

No. Following guidelines from Scottish Golf, golf ranges can remain open as long as they meet the required Covid guidelines. Middlebank Golf Centre between Perth and Dundee is open