Nike Irons

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking for some advice here.

I'm on the search for a new set of irons before the new season starts. I thought I had it narrowed down to either a Mizuno or Titleist blade but after picking up the new Nike VR Pro Combo's I've fallen in love.

I've not had a go yet and know I have to go and hit a few balls with each set.

The question is, does anybody here use nike irons or got any advice on them. I've had mixed feelings from friends saying there not established enough yet in the golf market. (I'm sure Tiget might have something to say about that.

Cheers

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use the nike VR combo set. It's blades from wedges to 7 then split cavity 6-4. They're fantastic clubs and the feel from them is great, especially the blades.
I tried the new pro combo set at a golf show and thought they were really good too so I'd highly recommend them. :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree the new vr combo set is a master piece, our club has just gone big into Nike and is an approved fitting centre, I'm holding back from hitting the nikes as I know it will be expensive

T

thecraw

Best looking club on the market and if I had the money I would change yesterday!

Nike are making some great kit at the moment. I tried the Machspeed Black driver last week and its certainly a contender for my new driver, outshone the Callaway Diablo Octane Black Tour easily!

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play the original pro combos, and having hit the new ones, I can definitely say a bank will be getting robbed to get the new ones, they feel even better and look great.

If the better half is reading, stiff shaft, 1degree upright ;-)

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tried mizuno mp58 amd titleist ap2 today. The latter looked and felt good but was hitting them rather high. They were sold out of Nikes so will be trying them through the week when they get then back in.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forgive me father for I have sinned!!!!

Went to Top Golf with my little girl today and was just browsing in the American Golf shop when I saw the Nike VR2 Pro irons.

I had some taped up and hit a few. Absolutley loved the blades, but he'd just sold the last set of full blades this morning.

Not to worry, Direct Golf was only 5 minutes down the road so before you could say"Smiffy's a nob" I was stood on the range with the 3, 5 & 8 irons taped up.

I was a bit worried about the S300 shafts as I tend to stick with regular, even though all my woods have always had stiff shafts and when I tried the Mizuno swing optimiser last year it recommended S300's as one of the options.

I needn't have worried...... despite being able to shave with the 3 iron and it having a smaller head than a small headed thing, I was creaming it...off the deck and off the tee with a nice gentle draw..... felt absolutely gorgeous.

Next, we got the strike plate out and taped up the sole to see how the lie looked......middle for diddle every time.

This was going worrying well.......

How much discount will you give me off the £599 price I ask.....sod all was the reply........hmmmm, not so nice now.

However my hang dog look got the better of him and we eventually agreed on £569 plus a nice Nike VR tour bag for £100.

So off came all the tape to finish off the bucket.

The magic dust didn't come off the clubs now that I had paid for them and I continued to strike sweet shot after sweet shot. I just couldn't stop smiling!!!

Can't wait to get them out on the course tommorrow although to start with I'm going to keep my MP fli-hi 3 iron in the bag and leave the VR 3 iron blade in the garage.

Just pleased I never sold my VR driver, 3 wood, hybrid & VR wedges as they've now got some friends.....

So it looks like I'm a Nike man again after a brief but very pleasurable fling with Mizuno.
I won't be selling my Mizuno's as I want something to fall back on just in case the Nike's decide to show me who's boss.

Got to say the new blades look absolutely gorgeous and I just can't stop staring at them.

Right....feel free to tell me what a nob I am!!!!!!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow Rick. I thought all the "when you getting your next set of clubs" was all in jest :D

Can't call anyone a knob for succumbing to the lure of the shiny, especially when they're as pretty as those.

Is there really no difference in your woods etc that you can accessorize depending on what irons you have?

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a bit of an impulse buy and to be honest when I first saw them on line, I thought they looked pretty good, but I didn't feel the urge to go out and get them.

But in the flesh, they are absolutely stunning, and I just couldn't resist. Also had no idea that I would be drawn to the blades set....I originally was looking at the Pro combo set. I was quite prepared to walk away if I couldn't hit them, but I was really surprised how well they went.

There's not a lot of difference between the VR driver & my Mizuno 630 fastrack. They're both adjustable and both hit the ball a decent distance. I loved the VR driver before I changed to the Mizzies, but as you know I'm a brand whore and like to have matching stuff.....stupid I know....but that's me.

Same with the 3 wood & hybrid...they're pretty much equals in the performance stakes.

Time will tell if I've been too hasty......

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played on Sunday and scored 30 points, but was happy with the irons....it was the chipping that let me down in soggy ground.
Also hit 200 balls Monday and 125 tonight at the range....really happy with them so far, even the 3 iron is going well which I was pleasantly surprised at.
Still leaving it out of the bag for the course for now though as the MP Fl-hi is more suitable in heavy conditions as it has a much wider sole.

Pretty sure the 3 iron will find it's way into the bag once the course starts drying out.

Playing tomorrow at Aylesbury Vale so they'll get another outing.

A

Alex1975

I hate the idea of Nike golf clubs, I don't know why but its just a brand that leaves me cold for anything but trainers. I saw some photos of Rick`s irons today and the are beautiful, if they did not have that swish on then I think they would be as beautiful as my Mizunos... well close.