NFL 2018

Wolf

Visit site
You need to listen to Mike Lombardi on TheRinger.com podcast - he's a former NFL GM and just the best analyst on the net. The way he lays into Bortles, Brock "The Heist" Osweiler and Jason "The Clapper" Garrett is just awesome.
I'll give that a listen, been looking for some decent Podcasts for the drive to work

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Oh what the hell, the bait looked appealing! Osweiler signed a ridiculous contract extension and got the best part of $30M over two seasons with no real evidence to back it up on the field. Lombardi gave him that nickname because it was the greatest heist since Oceans 11. NFL fans loved it and it stuck. Then he went after Garrett who is the Cowboys' head coach. Dallas has under-performed big-time the last couple of years and blaming the coach is the best answer for it as he does not call offensive or defensive plays but is pictured on the sideline repeatedly clapping to encourage his players.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll give that a listen, been looking for some decent Podcasts for the drive to work

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast
https://www.theringer.com/gm-street

Simmons is the man behind The Ringer after he got fired from ESPN for calling Roger Goodell a bleeping liar a few times on air. His guess-the-lines podcast with Cousin Sal each Monday is essential listening during the season too. GM Street is Mike Lombardi's show and he does two a week for the site.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh what the hell, the bait looked appealing! Osweiler signed a ridiculous contract extension and got the best part of $30M over two seasons with no real evidence to back it up on the field. Lombardi gave him that nickname because it was the greatest heist since Oceans 11. NFL fans loved it and it stuck. Then he went after Garrett who is the Cowboys' head coach. Dallas has under-performed big-time the last couple of years and blaming the coach is the best answer for it as he does not call offensive or defensive plays but is pictured on the sideline repeatedly clapping to encourage his players.

Begs the question then what does he really do then....

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ah Drew Brees, the player who I said live on Sky Sports in 2002 would never be a successful QB in the NFL. Which based on his first two years was pretty realistic.

Oh well we all make mistakes. As the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Russel Wilson came up with two absolute bombs to steal the win over the Panthers. Promising signs for this very young Seahawks team which will probably sneak a wildcard place now which was very unexpected.

D

Deleted member 16999

Enjoyed both main live games on Sky last night, especially the Bronco’s/Steelers game going down to the wire.
One aspect which has always frustrated me and hoping a more knowledgeable fan can explain is:
Why when there was 65 seconds left on the clock are a team allowed to run the clock down? Is there a number were they can’t do that?
So much more could of happened in those 65 seconds, as a nuetral I kind of feel short changed.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You have 40 seconds on the clock between each play. The clock only stops on incomplete passes or a play going out of bounds. Or a team can use one of their three time outs in each half.

When you have possession at the end of the game and the other team cannot stop the clock, why try and run a play. The Giants did in 1978 and lost a game because of it (Herm Edwards and the Miracle in the Meadowlands on YouTube). So now teams just take a knee to lose a yard but with no risk of losing possession. If you have a 1st down inside the final two minutes, you can run the clock down to 0.00 with no risk.

In golfing terms, it is like having three putts to win a hole from 10 feet and you just lag the first one down to make sure with no risk.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In 2012, Bucs' coach Greg Schiano, who was a total a-hole (and I dealt with him enough) ordered his defensive line to crash the kneeldown play against the Giants in 2012. It was real bush league and caused one hell of a punch-up. Even the Bucs players thought it was a garbage call.

D

Deleted member 16999

You have 40 seconds on the clock between each play. The clock only stops on incomplete passes or a play going out of bounds. Or a team can use one of their three time outs in each half.

When you have possession at the end of the game and the other team cannot stop the clock, why try and run a play. The Giants did in 1978 and lost a game because of it (Herm Edwards and the Miracle in the Meadowlands on YouTube). So now teams just take a knee to lose a yard but with no risk of losing possession. If you have a 1st down inside the final two minutes, you can run the clock down to 0.00 with no risk.

In golfing terms, it is like having three putts to win a hole from 10 feet and you just lag the first one down to make sure with no risk.
Thank you, didn’t realise they were actually losing a yard, just bobbing up and down wasting time.(y)
The difference in golf though from your explanation is that in golf at least you’re moving forward.;)

Captainron

Visit site
Getting to the pointy end of the season.

My Seahawks can seal a wildcard spot with a win over the 49’ers who have been pretty woeful this year.

Pats and Chiefs look like world beaters and I hope they get each other in the AFC championship game.

Captainron

Visit site
Wow bears finally play some half decent football against a depleted packers team and you trawl back through to find this 😂

Thy did clinch their division last night which was fairly unexpected at the start of the season.

Stat alert- the Bears have won more games in this regular season than they did in the past two combined!

Mack has given them some edge and steel. Funny how one player can change a whole team?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thy did clinch their division last night which was fairly unexpected at the start of the season.

Stat alert- the Bears have won more games in this regular season than they did in the past two combined!

Mack has given them some edge and steel. Funny how one player can change a whole team?
I think the impact of Nagy is pretty big, and also Roquin Smith has been an absolute stud for them.

Don’t get me wrong Mack is an absolute joke of a man. His speed and strength are crazy. But the rest of the D is still very good

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow bears finally play some half decent football against a depleted packers team and you trawl back through to find this 😂

Not at all. I just remembered your comment at the time as I thought that the Bears would be considerably better this year. To be honest I thought challenging for the playoffs would be in site as I expected the Vikings to be better and take the division.
We are looking good at the minute so hopefully it carries on. I’m a bit worried about the severity of the injury to Eddie Jackson but he has theee weeks to get ready for the playoffs, possibly four if the Rams continue to lose and the Bears can get a first round bye.

As for the defence, they have been amazing at all levels this year. Mack speaks for himself but the contributions by Hicks, Goldman, Fuller and Jackson have really stood out. It will be interesting to see how many of them get selected to the pro bowl tomorrow night.