Next Top Course To Play

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking. I've not played many "top" rated courses. Carnoustie being THE one I wanted to play and have done so, but I have got a hankering to play another, just don't really know which one as I'm not really bothered but would like to add another. (Yes I know, if I'm not bothered then why bother?) There are a few on here that have played quite a few of them so my question is :-

If you can play only one "top" rated course which one would be be and why?

Please could you just stick to answering the question and not add in "honorable mentions" etc as this muddies the water and I'd like to have a clear answer. Then I can make a decision. I'm gonna trust you all on this. So no Royal Malkins (if you've played it you'd know) answers please.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kings Course, Gleneagles. The whole set up is special from the moment you turn in to the course. The course is heathland, immaculate, views beautiful, design wonderful. Every hole makes you smile, it did me anyway.

D

Deleted member 1147

Swinley Forest - I can picture myself as an old retired Colonel, playing there everyday, with the trusty hound walking alongside

D

Deleted member 15344

I guess it would be Hunstanton , the car park is quality

if not then it depends on what is the mood

If it’s a one off then it’s Royal County Down

But if it’s the only club you can play then it’s Sunningdale

D

Deleted member 1147

I guess it would be Hunstanton , the car park is quality

if not then it depends on what is the mood

If it’s a one off then it’s Royal County Down

But if it’s the only club you can play then it’s Sunningdale
Sunningdale was my other choice, mainly due to having two courses to choose from.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Royal Birkdale for me. Best course I’ve ever played.

It’s unreal. Only top courses I had to judge it against were the Old course and Carnoustie. While the Old is an experience and Carnoustie has the intimidation factor, there’s no question in my mind that as a course Birkdale is better. Can’t wait to go back and yeah one place I can say I could play there every day and be happy.

D

Deleted member 17920

The Old Course everyday for me. It’s not a course that will beat the crap out if you buy it’s up there for enjoyment and the excitement is something else.

I have yet to finish the course without a smile on my face.

evemccc

Visit site
If you're not that bothered I would suggest a top, top heathland....as you've ticked off a top class links

Sunningdale Old would be my choice

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most top end courses Open Rota etc can be a bit of a ballbreaker not to mention v expensive, bearing that in mind and as it isn’t too far too travel I’d go for Formby. An extremely enjoyable course and a quality all round set up.

D

Deleted member 17920

Most top end courses Open Rota etc can be a bit of a ballbreaker not to mention v expensive, bearing that in mind and as it isn’t too far too travel I’d go for Formby. An extremely enjoyable course and a quality all round set up.
Have you seen how much it is for a green fee for a summer round at Formby?

Eyewatering now.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you seen how much it is for a green fee for a summer round at Formby?

Eyewatering now.

They have all gone crazy along the coast.

I've been keeping my eye on Lytham as bizarrely I've never played it, its £220 midweek in Summer and £150pp in Winter.

D

Deleted Member 1156

They have all gone crazy along the coast.

I've been keeping my eye on Lytham as bizarrely I've never played it, its £220 midweek in Summer and £150pp in Winter.
I wouldn't say it's the best course I've played but it's possibly my favourite. Absolutely love how you have to plot your way round.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's the best course I've played but it's possibly my favourite. Absolutely love how you have to plot your way round.

Thats what I've heard. Given its so close and I've driven past it so often, its a sin I've not done it. I might jump on before the fees change once we are allowed back out.

Zig

Visit site
Lots of people have said TOC, but for me (please don’t crucify me) I think there are better golf courses. Yes, 1, 17 and 18 are amazing, along with a few notable others. But some holes which - if on any other course - people would say were so-so (around the turn in particular).
So, while it may not give you the butterflies like the three holes above, I’d say Royal Portrush has both the history/aura, but is an amazing test 1 through 18.