Rabka

Visit site
Hi I’ve decided to try this game called golf, primarily I decided due to going on a stag do, but after visiting a 9 hole course, then a full course I realised I enjoyed the exercise as much as the playing,and searching for my ball?,anyway I’ve decided to buy some clubs rather than the set I had been lent (fazer) so I went to my local American golf and had my swing speed done, I swing around 60-65mph, im53 this year so somehow I don’t think that will improve, my question is I’ve decided to buy some Taylor made either M4 or M6 clubs not necessarily new but yesterday I found the regular flex stem to be the best steel one , however I didn’t try graphite, would a graphite shaft help me with the distance rather than the steel, I do hit the ball pretty ok but not far, 7 iron yesterday at golf shop the machine said 108-112 yds ,all advice welcome , thx in advanced

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome to golf.
If I were you I'd hold off from buying anything untill you're sure you're going to stick with it.

In theory, as graphite is lighter than steel, you should be able to swing them faster but you still need to find the ball.
If you want to gain some distance you might find improving your technique will do that.

So have some lessons first, do some practice and then if you still love it, then treat yourself

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with Bob on this one. If you stick with golf your game (and your opinion on what kit you like) will change a great deal in as little as a year. If you really must buy something, search for sets on gumtree or eBay that are local enough to pick up and cheap. You can ask us what we think first if you're not sure.

53 is no age, if you are reasonably healthy and get sone lessons you'll soon be swinging plenty fast enough.

And good luck. Golf is mostly a cruel mistress...

Rabka

Visit site
Cheers bob , I did borrow some clubs from my lad just with the intention of not embarrassing him on the stag do, but found like I said the exercise and the moving with the swing beneficial, rather than what generally fills my weekend (fishing) the quandary I’m in is , using the fazer clubs I get a lot of the vibrations through my hands , when I used the rocket blades I felt less vibration plus found that the extra inch in the length let me connect a lot better, so in theory I my head at least is if I invest around £400 now and get decent clubs to last me three /four years by that time I’ll either be in love with it or not, But if I continue with the beginners set I know I wouldn’t enjoy it,either way £2 a week won’t be that bad, plus then I can’t blame the clubs,and after that then I can get fitted if I need to, or am I being a little naive

Rabka

Visit site
Sounds like a plan bob, thx , down my local driving range a cpl of lads have already given me a bit of advice ??, one said walk the dogs instead ????

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like a plan bob, thx , down my local driving range a cpl of lads have already given me a bit of advice ??, one said walk the dogs instead ????

Learn how to hold the club
Learn how to stand at the beginning of the swing
Learn how to stand at the end of the swing.
That will keep you going for a wee while.
And if you do feel any aches or pains, stop and rest, especially at your age.
I can say that as I'm 60.
Lastly, be careful who you listen to. They will all be well intentioned but not all know what they are talking about.

Rabka

Visit site
Cheers bob , I did feel some back ache after my first few times on the driving range but it wen afterwards, as for your positional advice I do have some advice from my lad who has had some lessons up o yet but I think I’ll book a few as soon as I get my own clubs I can put trust in, as for my initial questions would graphite possibly be best for me considering m swing speed do u think

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hard to say without seeing your swing.
Graphite are a bit more expensive so if you're on a budget, you might be better off will steel.
Certainly give both a try before you buy.
Either way you wont go far wrong

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers bob , I did feel some back ache after my first few times on the driving range but it wen afterwards, as for your positional advice I do have some advice from my lad who has had some lessons up o yet but I think I’ll book a few as soon as I get my own clubs I can put trust in, as for my initial questions would graphite possibly be best for me considering m swing speed do u think
As you improve your technique your swing speed might improve .
So holding off buying might help until then.
graphite Shafts might improve your swing speed but it will be minimal.
Try some out see the difference.
A fitting at American Golf may point you in the right direction
Just watch the hard sell.
I would buy a cheap set for now and if you carry on playing get fitted in the future once you have a bit of time to groove a swing.

Rabka

Visit site
Thx club, I did go to AG yesterday but they didn’t try graphite shafts I may book in again to get a better opinion

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thx club, I did go to AG yesterday but they didn’t try graphite shafts I may book in again to get a better opinion
Just ask them if they can compare graphite to a similar spec steel shaft and give you your club head speed, ball speed with the same club head.
There won’t be much difference imo.

Rabka

Visit site
Update;;;
I managed to get a full set of m6 ex display irons with the regular flex which my local AM GOLF said I needed after they put me on their machine, and after playing two rounds of golf so far , I think I need a trolley ?? also got hold of a spider putter al of which pi## must lad off because I had a bargain he said, so now there’s no blaming my gear, thx for the advice I was given, hopefully I’ll bump into a few of ya on the course or in the bar ??