New Zealand Golf Club (Surrey)

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

Been invited to a round here.

Can’t find website

Anyone know the dress code on course (especially shorts!)?

And for the clubhouse?

Are the practise facilities?

Course looks good on reviews but any experiences?

C

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many years since I played there but would best describe things like its dress code then as Very traditional!

Plenty off here played there recently so should be able to give you a more up to date version, alternatively why not phone the club and ask

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No practice facilities, their members do not practice.
No web site, they do not need one.
Very old fashioned. Best phone, if they have a number.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's a very traditional old school club, play safe with your dress code. I would imagine shorts are allowed but may require long socks! Good chance you will need jacket and tie for the dining room too. I did when I played there but that was about 15 years ago, things may have moved on since then.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a very traditional old school club, play safe with your dress code. I would imagine shorts are allowed but may require long socks! Good chance you will need jacket and tie for the dining room too. I did when I played there but that was about 15 years ago, things may have moved on since then.
All of the above

Long white socks essential

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Happy to phone the club just don’t want to sound a **** if I can avoid it!

D

Deleted member 21258

Course... holes were a bit samie for my liking, they looked similar. Very easy walking. Lovely par 3 with all heather in front and the last 2-3 holes were nice holes.

Dress code ....jacket/tie if having lunch afterwards (lovely roasties and afters were really nice)

Great changing rooms, certainly different.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great place visited last year by the GM Forum. Clubhouse resembles an old fashioned colonial cricket pavilion. No practice facilities and from memory barely any semi-rough before you are into the heather which is tough to get out of. Very unique club from a bygone era. Beautiful food (jacket and tie needed)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went last year with the GM crowd... was like a trip back in time.... they're in their own world..... had, unnecessary, preferred lies in middle of Summer, which they could do as not associated with EnglandGolf & all that guff. :LOL::LOL: I think they largely play 4-somes as theres lots of signs directing the non-teeing partner down the fairway...… yes, a pretty unique place & quite memorable.
Locker room is amazing as among other names I think I can recall that of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ….. certainly more knights there than would fit around a snooker table. They certainly weren't too stuffy with us, but best you ring...…

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks - looking forward to it. Sounds really interesting

Think I will just stick with standard polo and trousers for the round and make sure I have my jacket and tie for after

D

Deleted member 1147

I really enjoyed it - it's quirky, not too long, some very tough holes (2nd and 17th? spring to mind), food was lovely and, when you consider how old school & private it is, very friendly.

With regards attire, I think you are right to keep it simple and have the J&T available just in case.

Also, their New Zealand Best Bitter was very quaffable :)

enjoy (y)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played it a few years back and I loved it:

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/new-zealand-golf-club-surrey.41969/

I think it’s right to say that some of it a bit samey; every hole is tree and heather lined.

But the feel of the place is unique (or at least I haven’t been anywhere the same). It’s such a quiet place, amplified by being only able to see the hole you’re on.

Better layouts in the area, but it’s a lovely course.

On dress code, we ate a casual lunch in the bar area which was fine in golf attire. No need for a jacket unless going into the dining room.

But I guess it could have changed.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh yeah, the course crosses a private road. Beware of Mclarens doing mental speed down this road. It's a bit of a test track for them.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played their today. Fantastic experience.....

Great clubhouse and welcoming. As everyone says it’s like going back in time in a way.

Food - very good.

Course - absolutely fantastic. Perfect condition. Very fair - good shots rewarded and bad shots punished by the heather. However relatively easy to find and as long as you 9iron back on play it didn’t ruin the card.

All people we met were very friendly.

10/10

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played their today. Fantastic experience.....

Great clubhouse and welcoming. As everyone says it’s like going back in time in a way.

Food - very good.

Course - absolutely fantastic. Perfect condition. Very fair - good shots rewarded and bad shots punished by the heather. However relatively easy to find and as long as you 9iron back on play it didn’t ruin the card.

All people we met were very friendly.

10/10

Was lucky enough to play it on the forum meet and loved the whole experience. Glad you enjoyed it as well.