New years eve,love it or loath it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
nomadpaul,

I'm in the same boat. I was in for 3 1/2 weeks and for a time it was touch and go. Ended up with diabetes as a little Brucie bonus. I did so much damage that any drinking isn't good for me now. I went to the pub the first year after and tried to enjoy it on soft drinks but its amazing how everything seems so different through sober eyes. What must I have been like when I was on the grog. Couldn't handle it and so came home. Stay in now and watch TV

algar5

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am very much the same as a lot of others. When I was younger I loved going out to pubs/parties and celebrating New Year. The days of everyone meeting at the Town Square at midnight and celebrating together as a community is a thing of the past.

Nowadays it is a money making exercise for the pubs, clubs and taxi drivers all charging "special" rates for the privelage of celebrating New Year.

I will be working this year and spending the night worrying that my two kids get home alright.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
usually have a quiet night in, or have had for the last 10 yeasr or so. This year it`s something different, am in Japan, where the New Year is their celebration (no Christmas). Will be climbing up a mountain on New Years Eve to visit a specific Shrine, as is my in-laws family tradition. Then up early on New Years day to climb another mountain and watch the first sunrise of the year. Might sink a sake or two inbetween.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nowadays it is a money making exercise for the pubs, clubs and taxi drivers all charging "special" rates for the privelage of celebrating New Year.

This really gets on my goat ... would YOU work through New Years eve in your job for straight pay? I bet if your boss even asked you to work you would fling a hissy fit. I have mates who own taxis and the fare is set by the local council and not adjustable at all. The way I look at it is if you want someone else to drive you home it is an expense well spent.

SeveB

Medal Winner
www.rowanygolfclub.com
I used to like watching that Jules Holland thing until I was told that it is recorded and now it seems wrong, watching people pretending to be enjoying new years eve seems strange.

I know what you mean about the taxis but is it not part of the job, a bit like being a policeman

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's great, but I'm Scottish so am genetically programmed to like it. Instead of the usual house party we're going for a meal and then a disco with about 20 of my close friends. I can't wait.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the last few years the Wife and I go to our friends and have a relaxed evening with the beer and wine flowing, at a somewhat reduced rate than it was all those years ago. But we still know how to have a good time - just more evenly paced :D

Golfmmad.

Oh yeah - keys in the bowl stuff - oh I see, I get ya... :eek:

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
We absolutely love new year. Off round to our best mates as usual with a few others. Good food, good company, half the rest of the street end up gatecrashing after midnight and we party party party till very late.

I see it as celebrating Christmas being over so really let myself go :D :D :D

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember the times in the old country when the girls would come to the door at New Year and I got lovely snogs. :)

Alas that was sixty years ago.... :(

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the last few years the Wife and I go to our friends and have a relaxed evening with the beer and wine flowing, at a somewhat reduced rate than it was all those years ago. But we still know how to have a good time - just more evenly paced :D

Golfmmad.

Ha ha :eek:

When I previewed the post thought that SOMEBODY might think that way, so added at the end, "just more evenly paced", but your wicked mind was not averted eh Auburn Warrior? :)

Happy new year celebrations.

Golfmmad.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Golfmmad.

Ha ha :eek:

When I previewed the post thought that SOMEBODY might think that way, so added at the end, "just more evenly paced", but your wicked mind was not averted eh Auburn Warrior? :)

Happy new year celebrations.

Golfmmad.

Sorry pal, couldn't resist...

Happy New Year to all.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I took my Missus to one of those wife swapping parties once. I got a black & decker strimmer for her. Was well chuffed.

I reckon we should put together a 'Golf Monthly forum variety show'. With all the quality gags posted on here we'd be putting the real comedians to shame!!! :rolleyes:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to a "keys in" party once. I put my keys into the bowl and watched as people drew out and went off with their new partners. When it was my turn to draw I ended up with an AA box on the M62 :( ;)

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I miss the Scotch & Wry shows with the late Rikki Fulton that used to be shown on Hogmanay in Scotland. Got the box set recently and its very dated but still very funny. (God I'm getting old,30 on Saturday)

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems i like a few on here where i used to like it but now have a real bad memory that tarnished it . It was on NYE in 2005 that i was doubled up in pain which in turn , after a week in hospital , was diagnosed as Pancreatitus.

Snap, I had just arrived home from Turkey summer 2005, I had a few beers at a neighbours house then 2am awoke with those same pains. I was told (by a nurse) never to drink again.

S

Snelly

I can take it or leave it depending what we are up to. Tonight should be great as we are going to a really good party at a friends place. Big house, indoor pool plus a converted barn with snooker, table tennis, XBox, Wii and full club style sound system.

I am looking forward to it.

I used to go up to Edinburgh as a lad as a mate was at Herriott Watt so we had somewhere to stay. Those were fabulous nights. Absolutely brilliant. Snogging Scottish lassies and going to house parties until dawn!