New years eve,love it or loath it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went to the clubs annual black tie event once. Never again. Got lumbered on a table with a lot of the geriatrics and was bored rigid by 10.00. The cabaret was rotten too.

I use to go to the village pub every year when I was drinking and that was fine. The landlord made sure regulars and locals only got the tickets and in the 12 or so years I went there was never a fight or hint of trouble. It use to be the best night of the year with people I had spent a lot of time with (well I was in most nights!) and we'd have a disco, a sing song and lots of beer. The landlord sold up a few years ago which fortunately coincided with me not drinking and the new guys was an idiot. He charged well over the odds (about £15 per ticket) for a rubbish buffet. A lot of the locals didn't go. He left recently (did a runner) so we have brewery placed relief in so not sure what they will do. I tried it the first year out of hospital and to be honest the temptation to drink was too much so I'd rather stay in with HID and watch Jools Holland

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I know what will happen at the golf club..

1 - Sit with the same people.
2 - Drink just as fast as them.
3 - Talk crap to everyone
4 - get flu whilst going for a cig
5 - Get taken home when I start dancing and singing to Rod Stewart!!

Same as every weekend at the golf club... I need to stop drinking (with the exception of the disco).

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate the evening with a vengeance. I loved it as a kid, quite liked it aged 16-25, detest it now. I can think of a good few reasons, most of which won't mean anything to anyone. :)
I thought folk loved it?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not to bothered sit in the house and get trolleyed with the brother in law, same as every year and no sign of any golf yet either, bah humbug :(

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went through phases of loving it (when I was alot younger, no fee to get into pubs so a good crawl with mates) to hating it (pubs started charging rip of prices, bad food, bad disco, thumping techno in all clubs) and back to liking it again. Now I am in a great village I can just stroll down the local, celebrate with the locals, someone normally gets a guitar out for a few and normally results in a lovely, relaxed but drunken evening.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I am about to cut my wrists open...if I ever decide to host a GM Forum party remind me not to have it on Hogmanay.... :D ;)

It's a thought, but a GM forum NYE party would be OK, at least everyone there would rather be playing golf!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Now I am in a great village I can just stroll down the local, celebrate with the locals, someone normally gets a guitar out for a few and normally results in a lovely, relaxed but drunken evening.

Sounds Perfick. Is Ma and Pa Larkin regulars in your local Greg? :)

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Love it !
The neighbours come to our house after the bells for tattie soup and copious amounts of drink and a right good laugh.
Usually get about 4 or 5 hours kip then we go to my aunties for more bevvy and a steak pie dinner.( a family tradition dating back to Roman times I think :D)

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think as you get older your levels of celebration become less and less.
I can remember years ago, going to the pub,absolutely packed, heaving, with everybody just having a great time, no fights, no hassle, without a care in the world and enjoying the moment. It's what you did when young and carefree.

I always text my kids now, a few hours before midnight because I know they'll be in a pub somewhere, and end message with, "take care", just to remind them not to get too carried away .

For the last few years the Wife and I go to our friends and have a relaxed evening with the beer and wine flowing, at a somewhat reduced rate than it was all those years ago. But we still know how to have a good time - just more evenly paced :D

Golfmmad.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seems i like a few on here where i used to like it but now have a real bad memory that tarnished it . It was on NYE in 2005 that i was doubled up in pain which in turn , after a week in hospital , was diagnosed as Pancreatitus and then Diabetes . I now don't drink either so try and avoid any major NY celebration.
However , this year , i'm joining my brother and sister's families with my GF and her little 'un and having a night out at our local social club. Hopefully , the local chavs will be in the pubs and we'll avoid them too !!