New Wedges

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hey all I'm finally going to buy some new wedges Ive had some Vokey awhile now and they have had there time.

I'm looking for a 50 degree gap wedge and standard 56 degree sand wedge.

Ive only ever used Vokeys, So my question is in 50 & 56 what wedges do you think are the best subject to your opinion.

Thank you

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have used quite a few recently:
Vokey's
Callaway X Forged
Callaway Jaws
Bridgestone J40's
Ping Tour Wedges
Mizuno MP T4's

None of them were bad-I think most wedges commonly available will be good but it's a case of finding which work best for you. The best for me were either Callaways and the Mizunos. I found that I prefer standard (DG S300/400??) wedge shafts over the Spinner shafts that were in the Bridgestones too.

The Mizunos were a big surprise-I had never read a bad review on them but never seen a really glowing one either. They look nice, feel good and I will keep them for now.

The new Callaway Mack Daddys and Cleveland 588s are supposed to be great as-well.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hard to go wrong with a decent wedge and solid technique, easy to go wrong with the best wedge and poor technique!

I would say any wedge you like the feel of and gives you confidence is enough, I have yet to hear a bad thing about MD wedges! My pro uses them and they look superb.

I would personally recommend Cleveland, always liked their look and feel. I first thought they were terrible then I realised it was my technique, they went from shot costers to shot savers! I get up and down scary often now!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't believe any of the OEM's makea bad wedge these days.

From my experience, the Mizuno T4 wedges are very good (.... I have 2), especially in the black nickel :thup:

One of my playing partners has a ping wedge, I forget which model, and it generates quite a bit more spin than the Mizuno. It feels a little heavier too.

I keep looking at Vokeys, and normally have a swoosh with one when I visit the range and they feel pretty nice.

G

guest100718

I am playing Callaway x Series 56 degree int eh sand and the stock MP53 from Mizuno for everything else.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hard to go wrong with a decent wedge and solid technique, easy to go wrong with the best wedge and poor technique!

I would say any wedge you like the feel of and gives you confidence is enough, I have yet to hear a bad thing about MD wedges! My pro uses them and they look superb.

I heard that a few times so decided to take a chance, I'd never seen one or hit one but at 35 quid delivered thought what the heck!

Took it to the range for a few hits when it arrived and from the very first swing thought 'this is pretty nice actually' I have grown to love it (52* Seve Icon) so much so that I use it at every opportunity and I'm usually very pleased with the result

I'm definitely going to add at least one, possibly two other lofts to the bag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400289077...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I've recently had the Mizuno R12 in the bag, which is a beatiful looking wedge but, despite my general love of Mizuno clubs, I just never really clicked with it. The Mizuno replaced a very old Cleveland 588.

I've done a swap with my father in law for his new style 588, just as a test, and I have to say I MUCH prefer the cleveland. I also have the 588 in a 56 degree which is probably my favourate ever sand wedge.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently bought a new 52 and 56 Cleveland R588 Rotex Face to replace a 52 CG52 Cleveland and a 56 Vokey (shaft snapped). I really like the look of the Cleveland wedges but have to say in terms of spin they are not as good as the old Vokey spin milled face. I might be right I saying that there is a very good deal on Cleveland's at the minute in some retailers - essentially 2 wedges for price of one Vokey...

Mav281

Club Champion
Visit site
TM ATV's are very good wedges. The technology behind them is sound and they play very well.

I've got a 50* and a 60* and have been very happy with both.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think its important to hit a few. Some are heavier than others which may or may not suit and after that you need to consider things like bounce angle depending on what sort of course you predominantly play at

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought 3 MP-T4 wedges in June, more than happy with them. As others have said all the OEM's make decent wedges so you wont go far wrong whatever you choose.

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
I heard that a few times so decided to take a chance, I'd never seen one or hit one but at 35 quid delivered thought what the heck!

Took it to the range for a few hits when it arrived and from the very first swing thought 'this is pretty nice actually' I have grown to love it (52* Seve Icon) so much so that I use it at every opportunity and I'm usually very pleased with the result

I'm definitely going to add at least one, possibly two other lofts to the bag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400289077...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Agree completely. I bought a 58 degree last year as I couldn't handle a 60 degree, it costs me too many shots. I love the look and the feel of the md wedge, so much so I've just purchased a 50 gap wedge to give me another option.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree completely. I bought a 58 degree last year as I couldn't handle a 60 degree, it costs me too many shots. I love the look and the feel of the md wedge, so much so I've just purchased a 50 gap wedge to give me another option.

The 58* was what I was thinking of adding as I've heard a 60* can be a handful for some - did it make much difference over the 60*?

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, I had a couple of bad rounds with the 60 degree and IMO its a club for very low handicappers as the line between good and bad shots is so close. I can play all the same shots with the 58, it's my 90 yard club too. The weight of the MD wedges is perfect I feel and they inspire confidence.