New to golf

Minty

Visit site
Good morning,

I’m completely new to golf. I’ll keep it brief; colleagues took me to a Top Golf place and it was fun, so I got myself a second hand set of clubs on gumtree, and played my first round in April. Really enjoyed the round I played, but since then, I haven’t played again because I think I should get lessons, as I’m aiming to play regularly, eventually.

I’ve looked online for lessons but there are a plethora of options and I’m naturally clueless. Can anyone recommend lessons suitable for a beginner, in or around London. I don’t mind a little bit of travel for lessons, so anywhere within the M25 is fine for me, distance wise.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest looking for new to golf lessons at your local club or range. Usually it’s in groups. All of you in the same boat. My local one does 6 for £40. What area in or around London do you live. Welcome along

Minty

Visit site
I would suggest looking for new to golf lessons at your local club or range. Usually it’s in groups. All of you in the same boat. My local one does 6 for £40. What area in or around London do you live. Welcome along
Thanks for the reply, I live in Ruislip.

So I don’t need to look for anything specific in terms of lessons? By that, I mean, I’ve noticed some instructors offering video analysis and other similar services. Is that sort of thing necessary?

Apologies if this sounds like a daft question.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

So I don’t need to look for anything specific in terms of lessons? By that, I mean, I’ve noticed some instructors offering video analysis and other similar services. Is that sort of thing necessary?

Just get some lessons on the basics - grip, stance etc

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few ranges my way do free group tuition, you just need to prebook your attendance I belive. Thats an easy way to start the learning curve.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a quick look on line and I found Sunbury golf club do them. Saturday at 3 for an hour. But I am sure you can find more. Cheapest way to get basics and then if you continue and wish to get better and want individual lessons then go for it. Good luck on your biggest rollercoaster ride of your life👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's shame they've just shut down Ruislip golf club for HS2 then really, I'm sure they used to do group lessons there. That's where I had mine 18 years ago anyway. :LOL:

Have a look at Playgolf in Northwick Park mate, that's nice and convenient for you and I think they do lessons of some description there. Have a look on their website. As others have said, you'll be wanting a group lesson to start with where they just show people the basics and that. There's a decent driving range and a little 9 hole course which is based on replicas of famous major golf holes.

Oh there's also a reasonable driving range called 'Stanmore and Edgeware Golf Centre' which wouldn't be too far for you, could check their website and see if they do lessons there.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definatly look for group lessons if possible then you get to meet likeminded people unless you're planning on being a single golfer. Welcome.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. My advice would be to go to a local driving range and book a series of lessons (most do six for price of five or similar) and learn the basics. If you start with solid fundamentals from the start it's easier to build upon rather than having to compromise for a poor grip or alignment. Once you've got the basics sorted get out and play, play and play some more. That is where you learn to play golf as opposed to learning to hit balls

Minty

Visit site
It's shame they've just shut down Ruislip golf club for HS2 then really, I'm sure they used to do group lessons there. That's where I had mine 18 years ago anyway. :LOL:

Have a look at Playgolf in Northwick Park mate, that's nice and convenient for you and I think they do lessons of some description there. Have a look on their website. As others have said, you'll be wanting a group lesson to start with where they just show people the basics and that. There's a decent driving range and a little 9 hole course which is based on replicas of famous major golf holes.

Oh there's also a reasonable driving range called 'Stanmore and Edgeware Golf Centre' which wouldn't be too far for you, could check their website and see if they do lessons there.
Thanks mate that's really helpful. I didn't realise the entire Ruislip course has been closed, I thought it was just the driving range.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate that's really helpful. I didn't realise the entire Ruislip course has been closed, I thought it was just the driving range.
Yeah we used to play there sometimes, unfortunately the left hand side of the course is going to be wiped out, which is where the 18th, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc were. I believe when it reopens (not for another 5 years I shouldn't think) the plan is for it to be a nine hole only, with the driving range restored presumably. We'll see.

Minty

Visit site
Yeah we used to play there sometimes, unfortunately the left hand side of the course is going to be wiped out, which is where the 18th, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc were. I believe when it reopens (not for another 5 years I shouldn't think) the plan is for it to be a nine hole only, with the driving range restored presumably. We'll see.
That's a shame!

I'm booking my lessons later today. I actually got invited for another round yesterday, we played the Haste Hill course. Really enjoyed it again. Was a nice quiet day too, not many on the course.

D

Deleted member 21258

Welcome along, hope the lessons go well.

Get out there playing and enjoy the nicer weather and long evenings, as winters have neither of those :)

Grizzly

Visit site

Pretty sure they'll never manage to reopen it - they lose a chunk of land to the actual lines etc, but the rest of the course is going to be used as a facilities depot for the construction crews, so the turf will be wrecked. Shame - I only got back into the game last year and an 0630 tee time there on my own was a great way of relearning what I was doing!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure they'll never manage to reopen it - they lose a chunk of land to the actual lines etc, but the rest of the course is going to be used as a facilities depot for the construction crews, so the turf will be wrecked. Shame - I only got back into the game last year and an 0630 tee time there on my own was a great way of relearning what I was doing!
Sadly I think you might be right. At the very least I expect it to take far longer than what they reckoned initially.