New to golf, new to Golf Monthly. Help me complete my first set of clubs please!

CallawayJack

Visit site
I've been playing golf for about 6-months, 10 lessons in, playing twice a week and I'm now managing to get around 18-holes in about 90.

I've decided to stick with unfitted regular second-hand clubs for the time being and I've spend around £125 acquiring my first full set of clubs. I've been buying and selling clubs, and found a set-up I'm pretty happy with:

Driver

• Callaway X Hot R Flex Graphite Driver

Woods

• Callaway X Hot N14 3 Wood R Flex Graphite
  • Callaway X Hot N14 5 Wood R Flex Graphite

Irons
  • 3-SW Callaway Big Bertha X-12 R Flex Steel Irons

Putter
  • Callaway Big Bertha Blade Steel Putter

Now when I play I actively avoid my 3 iron and rarely use my 4, I'll happily drop distance for the safety of my 5 iron. A few people in work have suggested looking at hybrids, but I'm not sure how they work and what they're replacing. I've been looking at:

• Callaway X Hot N14 3 Hybrid R Flex Graphite
  • Callaway X Hot N14 4 Hybrid R Flex Graphite

What I'm struggling with is does a 3 hybrid replace a 3 iron, and a 4 hybrid replace a 4 iron? I just don't know.

You've probably noticed too, I'm playing with 13 clubs. I'm thinking about acquiring a lob wedge, as I often overhit when playing just off the green. Would a lob wedge help with this?

Apologies if I'm sounding like a newbie. All help is appreciated!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Don't apologise for asking for advice.
Someone more clued up than me will be more than happy to help you out.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For the hybrids, you'll need a 22 and 25 degrees to replace your 3 and 4 iron and I wouldn't bother with a LW yet, spend the money on a chipping lesson

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Echo Bob's thoughts.
The 4 and 5 hybrids will work well for you.
Hybrids have longer, lighter shafts than the irons they replace so generally go further..
The 3h will be 19° and possibly not too easy to launch unless you create a decent swing speed.
Also, your 5 wood will be 19° so it will overlap with the 3h a little.
4h is 22°, 5h is 25°

Go fill boots!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been playing golf for about 6-months, 10 lessons in, playing twice a week and I'm now managing to get around 18-holes in about 90.

I've decided to stick with unfitted regular second-hand clubs for the time being and I've spend around £125 acquiring my first full set of clubs. I've been buying and selling clubs, and found a set-up I'm pretty happy with:

Driver

• Callaway X Hot R Flex Graphite Driver

Woods

• Callaway X Hot N14 3 Wood R Flex Graphite
  • Callaway X Hot N14 5 Wood R Flex Graphite

Irons
  • 3-SW Callaway Big Bertha X-12 R Flex Steel Irons

Putter
  • Callaway Big Bertha Blade Steel Putter

Now when I play I actively avoid my 3 iron and rarely use my 4, I'll happily drop distance for the safety of my 5 iron. A few people in work have suggested looking at hybrids, but I'm not sure how they work and what they're replacing. I've been looking at:

• Callaway X Hot N14 3 Hybrid R Flex Graphite
  • Callaway X Hot N14 4 Hybrid R Flex Graphite

What I'm struggling with is does a 3 hybrid replace a 3 iron, and a 4 hybrid replace a 4 iron? I just don't know.

You've probably noticed too, I'm playing with 13 clubs. I'm thinking about acquiring a lob wedge, as I often overhit when playing just off the green. Would a lob wedge help with this?

Apologies if I'm sounding like a newbie. All help is appreciated!

id echo other points on here.. ditch the 3 and 4 irons.. get a 4 and 5 hybrid to replace them make it easier for yourself

lob wedge whilst I personally carry one id agree a lesson is much better.. I had one yesterday on wedges.. trying out my new gap wedge and it was really good to see what kind of shots I can play by choking down and taking bits off the shots

you will be going round in 80s before you know it if your already doing the 90s..

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just wanted to add - well done on your progress. Shooting 90 (assuming its a real 90) after 6 months is very decent. Stick with the lessons if you want to continue the improvement and at some point when you think you have some consistency in your swing get fitted. It makes a big difference.

I will also go against the grain and say add the LW if you have a space in your bag with no other need to fill. No harm in learning what it can do. I have always used one and its one club I have most confidence in. Saves me shots at some point (used to be a 60 deg, now its a 58 to fill gap better) Put a lot of practice in with it and knowing when to use it and when not to is key.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Again, at the risk of sounding like a newbie. The major difference between the wood and the hybrid would then be what surface you're hitting off?

Not necessarily.
The wood will be trickier from deeper rough than the hybrid but you can use them both from the tee, fairway and light rough.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think a 3 hybrid and a 5 hybrid may help gap your bag better.

Personally my 3 and 5 hybrid cover me between 175-200 yards and are the equivalent of a 2 iron and a 4 iron for me. I think the extra weight in the head, and length of shaft makes a 5 hybrid more like a 4 iron.

Welcome, scouse.:thup:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you, I legit hit 98 and 92 the two times I played Hoylake Municipal, so my scoring was real but my 90 was not.

:rofl:

it took me years to break 100, tail end of last season I broke 100 4 times in a row. Think my lowest score is 91

so that's cracking how you have picked up the game so well. Must have put a lot of work in

CallawayJack

Visit site
it took me years to break 100, tail end of last season I broke 100 4 times in a row. Think my lowest score is 91

so that's cracking how you have picked up the game so well. Must have put a lot of work in

i went to golf camp for two summers early teen years, so I'm not new to it. Let's say that I picked it back up six-months ago.