New Titleist Premium Ball - avx

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Excellent.....you can use them instead and save yourself a few quid :thup:

And after buying a sleeve on AVX I imagine this is exactly what I'll be doing. I'll see what they are like but based at the moment on price alone I don't see what they are going to offer better or different to other balls out there, especially in the three piece market right now. At that price point I'd opt for a TP5 or Pro V every time unless there is something world class about this offering. Which, for the moment I doubt

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd imagine they will be sold at the same price as pro-v's and if they suit somebodys game better than thats a good thing.
Wouldnt surprise mean if all the tour pro's start using them and the club golfers will follow and then pro-v's will be but a fond memory. Everything evolves and moves forward.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d like to do a side by side comparison vs the others that are similar or at least see one of the popular youtubers do so. Thankfully PROV’s are so popular I find way more of them than I loose. Only a matter of time before I start finding the avx’s too 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’d like to do a side by side comparison vs the others that are similar or at least see one of the popular youtubers do so. Thankfully PROV’s are so popular I find way more of them than I loose. Only a matter of time before I start finding the avx’s too 😂

Pretty sure they will. And I agree only a matter of time before you get to try one for free

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I’d like to do a side by side comparison vs the others that are similar or at least see one of the popular youtubers do so. Thankfully PROV’s are so popular I find way more of them than I loose. Only a matter of time before I start finding the avx’s too 

If I was a betting man I would say they will come to the conclusion that for the vast majority of amateurs, their (inconsistent) strike will override any slight increase/decrease in height/spin/stopping ability/distance the ball may bring to the party. And the feel of them will be quite a personal thing so you need to try them yourself. And they may even go as far as saying it will be mostly impossible for most amateurs to notice any difference between these and many other balls around that price range. But if you think yourself they are helping you and you have the money then fair play, invest the hell in them, it's a free world and you are not hurting anyone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’d like to do a side by side comparison vs the others that are similar or at least see one of the popular youtubers do so. Thankfully PROV’s are so popular I find way more of them than I loose. Only a matter of time before I start finding the avx’s too 
Really? I can count on one hand the number of times I've found a ProV, ever. Must be to do with the courses I play!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really? I can count on one hand the number of times I've found a ProV, ever. Must be to do with the courses I play!

I'll always remember when ProV1 first came out I was finding them all over the place. Personally I did not like them. I must have sold about 5 dozen pearl grade balls on ebay that year and another 6 dozen or so in the intervening years.

I have never bought a Prov1 in my life and there are currently over 3 dozen in my cupboard (versions I do like and may use when my current stock of Bridgestone run out).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
'Name snobbery' How many would play a Dunlop Ball

DP1-V3 3 piece, urethane cover, high velocity core , soft cover high(ish) spin soft feel. Easily comparable with most big name manufacturers only £16/ doz

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

yep, don't often buy balls myself apart from the odd bargain last year of the 2016 PRv1X. But have dogs and reg walk across golf courses, in fact found 6 brand new Pro v's last night without really looking. Baldrick was a champion ball finder, he has kept me in Prov1 the last 4 years and prob the next 4 as well. Just need to train Wee Rupert in the next couple of years.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The nice Titleist people were at a range I visited this evening, doing club and ball fittings. I had limited time but stopped for a chat. I mentioned they had a new ball out (as I didn't spot it on the table), and he said " yeah the soft". He sent me on my way with a couple of V1s and a couple of softs which was very decent. Wonder if the avx might actually be a decent option for me to try though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll always remember when ProV1 first came out I was finding them all over the place. Personally I did not like them. I must have sold about 5 dozen pearl grade balls on ebay that year and another 6 dozen or so in the intervening years.

I have never bought a Prov1 in my life and there are currently over 3 dozen in my cupboard (versions I do like and may use when my current stock of Bridgestone run out).

Said it before on here, in a blind ball test I would suggest that the average handicap golfer would struggle to pick a Dunlop from a Titleist, especially in the three piece section and arguably even against a Pro V. I have often wondered why it's not been done in a magazine (at least in recent times with more balls in that mid-price category). Perhaps they are worried what effect that would have when a Dunlop comes ahead of an established make and model

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Said it before on here, in a blind ball test I would suggest that the average handicap golfer would struggle to pick a Dunlop from a Titleist, especially in the three piece section and arguably even against a Pro V. I have often wondered why it's not been done in a magazine (at least in recent times with more balls in that mid-price category). Perhaps they are worried what effect that would have when a Dunlop comes ahead of an established make and model

I sometimes use Dunlops in the winter and there is not that much between them and the mid-range balls that cost £15-£20 a dozen. I can't comment on the premium balls as I've not really used them.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
'Name snobbery' How many would play a Dunlop Ball

DP1-V3 3 piece, urethane cover, high velocity core , soft cover high(ish) spin soft feel. Easily comparable with most big name manufacturers only £16/ doz

Be interesting to know where they are manufactured given that Sumitomo Rubber Industries own a lot of the global rights to Dunlop, and have apparently bought the Dunlop brand from Sports Direct. They also own Srixon, who previously made golf balls for Dunlop. Could well be brand snobbery, these could just be srixon balls in disguise.

http://www.srigroup.co.jp/english/corporate/history.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srixon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunlop_Sport

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be interesting to know where they are manufactured given that Sumitomo Rubber Industries own a lot of the global rights to Dunlop, and have apparently bought the Dunlop brand from Sports Direct. They also own Srixon, who previously made golf balls for Dunlop. Could well be brand snobbery, these could just be srixon balls in disguise.

http://www.srigroup.co.jp/english/corporate/history.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srixon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunlop_Sport

I notice that many players give the Srixon AD333 Tour a good write up. If you check the packaging these have always been made by Dunlop.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
those v3 dunlops arw not bad at all. spin around the greens nicely. would play it and have done over any mid range ball.

Wonder will anyone do a test to see if these new titlesist really do fly lower. Completely useless to me if they did but would be nice to see all the same.