New Titleist Premium Ball - avx

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just had this pop up in my Facebook feed

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/titleist-avx-golf-balls-introduced-156007

New premium Titleidt ball, softer feel, more distance, yada yada ,..... £52 a dozen. 😳😳

It’s not even their showcase ball, yet.

Yep, know that’s retail and will probably be a bit cheaper but what are they on? The blurb suggests other premium competitors are giving up distance on these balls. Don’t believe it, not significant anyways. Don’t get me wrong, I like a premium ball as much as the rest, but I’ll take a two or even 10 yard less hit if it saves £20 a dozen.

Sorry Titleist, that RRP is just ridiculous

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
paid 17.50 a dozen for Z Stars recently, oh no theyre last years model :( Or I could pay 3 times the price to keep the thousands of titleist ball staffers in sponsorship lol

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
paid 17.50 a dozen for Z Stars recently, oh no theyre last years model :( Or I could pay 3 times the price to keep the thousands of titleist ball staffers in sponsorship lol

Indeed. Plenty of bargains to be had on the previous incarnations of premium brand balls and for most, any difference (if any) in performance would be negligible so why not save as much as you can. If I find a sleeve of the AVX on sale somewhere I might give them a bash to see what the fuss is about but wouldn't dream of paying that much. I still have several dozen old versions of Pro V, Z Stars and Bridgestones to get through so unless these are something ground breaking (that'll be a no) then I won't be investing further

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The prices are crazy, I cant believe people will buy them. They’re the equivalent of a srixon ad333 tour or taylormade project a aren’t they? Both of which are nearly half that price...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
or alternatively rather than buy them go out after loads of yanks on a top 100 course and just pick up all the ones they lose;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It goes the same distance-as Titleist say all their balls go virtually the same distance
It's softer
It doesn't spin much
It launches lower
Most golfers need spin to get the ball in the air and keep it there
This sounds like a really soft ball for people with high swing speeds as they are the ones who need lower spin....but, generally, they don't want a soft ball..
Makes perfect sense to me.....
And yet it's the same price as the V...
Titleist trying to out-Chromesoft the Chromesoft??
I won't be buying any.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I know not everyone is a fan, but I've just ordered 5 dozen Vice Pro ball which are a 3 piece urethane ball, got an extra dozen free, so essentially paying £17 per dozen. £52 per dozen is ridiculous and even if it will be close to £45 per dozen in the shops that is still a hefty whack

D

Deleted Member 1156

The prices are crazy, I cant believe people will buy them. They’re the equivalent of a srixon ad333 tour or taylormade project a aren’t they? Both of which are nearly half that price...

No it isn't. It is a premium ball similar to a Pro V1/x but lower launch and spin. It will sit alongside the Pro V in the Titleist range not below it.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know not everyone is a fan, but I've just ordered 5 dozen Vice Pro ball which are a 3 piece urethane ball, got an extra dozen free, so essentially paying £17 per dozen. £52 per dozen is ridiculous and even if it will be close to £45 per dozen in the shops that is still a hefty whack

This. I dont lose anything from using a vice pro+ compared to what i did when using a Prov1x. Similar distance, probably a little better purchase on the greens and they sound and feel the same of the putter.

and nearly half the price.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Well ok, but nobody sells them for that. Still seems like a lot for these. Surely they won't be popular.

I'm sure they will be on sale for the same price as Pro V's, I'm interested in trying them as I hit the ball quite high with a lot of spin so in theory they should suit my game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure they will be on sale for the same price as Pro V's, I'm interested in trying them as I hit the ball quite high with a lot of spin so in theory they should suit my game.
That's fair enough.

I do think the amount of balls in the market, particularly from Titleist and Srixon, are nearing ridiculous levels.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's fair enough.

I do think the amount of balls in the market, particularly from Titleist and Srixon, are nearing ridiculous levels.

How so?

I think there is a ball for every ability and price more or less, what would you rather only one ball available?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
That's fair enough.

Trouble is that is the business model they have created and most manufacturers are having to follow, flood the market with more and more product for ever new niches and market the hell out of it. The German car companies do much the same, there is a car for every conceivable niche they can think of.

It may well end in tears for some manufacturers, but I can't help thinking the savvy customer wins as there is a hell of a lot of good stuff out there at a decent price if you are not obsessed with having the latest version of everything.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day people will buy Titleist simply because they are Titleist.

I have several mates who would not consider even trying another brand.

One mate swears by prov1s mainly because he says he gets several rounds out of one because they do not damage. I keep reminding him with his swing speed he would not damage a ball made of glass.

D

Deleted member 15344

Trouble is that is the business model they have created and most manufacturers are having to follow, flood the market with more and more product for ever new niches and market the hell out of it. The German car companies do much the same, there is a car for every conceivable niche they can think of.

It may well end in tears for some manufacturers, but I can't help thinking the savvy customer wins as there is a hell of a lot of good stuff out there at a decent price if you are not obsessed with having the latest version of everything.

Or the manufacturers are just trying to find a ball to fit as many different type of players playing the game - doesn’t see the issue with it at all , same with clubs and shoes , I guess manufacturers can’t win - don’t provide enough choice “complaints” - provide further choice “complaints “”

D

Deleted Member 1156

AD333 tour:
3 piece - same as avx
urethane cover - same as avx
compression 72 - Avx is 80

Project a:
3 piece
urethane cover
compression 70

Excellent.....you can use them instead and save yourself a few quid :thup: