New sticks- advice...

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Sorry in advance, you'll have seen this question a million times over but i could really do with some help narrowing it down!

I'll shortly be renewing all my gear after a long lay off and simply don't know where to start.

I'm off 10 just now, but realistically will be a good few shots better than that when i really get going again.

So i am looking for something that'll give me good shot control and a good penetrating flight. "Better players" clubs for want of a better expression (no offence to anyone intended :D)

I will definitely go for custom fit

So far all i have seen are the Ap2's.

Can anyone suggest some ideas so i can at least start the hunt?

Cheers in advance

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mizuno MP53 or or 63 are very popular. Ping have a good following and I really like the I15. Other than that there are new forged irons from TM (blade and a muscle back). The answer is to look around and try to hit some first. If you are going down a C/F route why not go somewhere that offers more than one option (World of Golf, Belfry etc)

granters

Q-School Graduate
Thanks Homer, my only problem is there's not much in the way of custom fit near me (ayrshire). I suppose that's the next question i need to ask...

I'll have a look at the sets you mentioned. I just want to have a clearer idea of what i'm after before i start looking. I always played with blades. Much prefer them to cavities but i'm honestly so far behind with technology it's frightening

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Homer, my only problem is there's not much in the way of custom fit near me (ayrshire). I suppose that's the next question i need to ask...

upgraded recently and used american golf in Giffnock - clubs wise i thought their choice was a lot better than the shop at world of golf at Clydebank

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
There are so many good clubs on the market now that your best bet is to go to a local golf store and somehow try as many as you can, get them to tape some up if they don't have demo clubs. When you find some you like come back here and I will get them for you at a very competitive price.

A

Alex1975

Titleist AP2, Mizuno MP 53/63/58, Ping S56, Callaway Razor forged.

Any head and the right shaft I guess, whatever looks sexy.

granters

Q-School Graduate
Just buy the AP2's - you know it makes sense!

Chris

I very nearly did, it was only some incredible mental strength that stopped me, knowing i should probably get fitted first. They do feel good i must admit.

Bob- not a member of a club this season, but will be again next season once i make up my mind where to join

Cheers everyone

T

thecraw

Moods,

Look in the for sale section, StuartD is selling a used set of TM's for an outstanding price. Even if you bought these for a year or so I'd be confident you would get your money back on a future trade in.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
id consider the nike VR Combi pro's. nice size cavity back iron down to 7i, then bladed 8i, 9i, pw, for better control into greens. Thats said im under the impression mizzy let you mix and match the set on a price per club basis, so a google search for your nearest mizzy fitting centre could prove worth while.

either way try everything, and dont rush in.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
TM

I just got a set of Nike VR Pro Combos, beautiful clubs and great for someone who is used to playing blades as I was.

Also really liked Titleist CBs, was a close call but the Nike pipped them in the long irons, very easy to hit.

American Golf at East Kilbride has a pretty good selection, not too far if you bomb up the M77.

granters

Q-School Graduate
Cheers everyone,

Interesting that i own one of the first ever "progressive" sets, which i still use- The mighty wilson staff progressive, as used by world number 1 Vijay Singh.

What year is it... :D

Anyways, i'll not be rushing in but that's all great food for thought. I've got the rest of this year to muck about while i'm between clubs.

I'm only playing the odd round here and there this year to keep the swing going so i can get by with what i have for now.

Oh and stash that secret bank account away from HID's prying eyes.

Either that or i'll e-bay her shoes while i'm off on sick leave

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like yer style Moods. Every golfer needs their offshore slush fund to finance their secret kit purchases. Mines stashed on Paypal with new deliveries snuck into the garage under the cover of darkness ...haha !

granters

Q-School Graduate
Like yer style Moods. Every golfer needs their offshore slush fund to finance their secret kit purchases. Mines stashed on Paypal with new deliveries snuck into the garage under the cover of darkness ...haha !

Do what i do and get anything delivered to work, and pretend you've been at the range when you get home. luckily my other half has litterally no idea what's in my golf bag, i could fill it full of melted ice lollies and she wouldn't know the difference.

I also use the paypal trick ;)