New shinies plus lesson = success?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lovely when a new shiny and a lesson come together in perfect alignment. Keep working hard on the drills from the lesson and lower expectations first time on the course so you don't try too hard. I wouldn't worry about distance. I am girly short (about 225-230 average) compared to most on here and indeed many at my club. As long as I'm on the short stuff or first cut it doesn't matter and I'll play my own game and get it around the best I can to make a score. Plenty of long hitters in the trees as they say

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When he explained that the best smash is 1.5 I was pleased

Clearly speed is what holds me back at 85 mph that’s quite slow, but hopefully with better mechanics I can bring the speed up
If you optimize your launch conditions that delivers 200carry/230total. I've no idea what your game is like, but you could probably play off high single figures if the rest of your game is decent - might be better to tick driver of the list and move onto putting/chipping/100yd wedges...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lovely when a new shiny and a lesson come together in perfect alignment. Keep working hard on the drills from the lesson and lower expectations first time on the course so you don't try too hard. I wouldn't worry about distance. I am girly short (about 225-230 average) compared to most on here and indeed many at my club. As long as I'm on the short stuff or first cut it doesn't matter and I'll play my own game and get it around the best I can to make a score. Plenty of long hitters in the trees as they say

Yeah my friend and I always say 200 on the fairway beats 250 in a bush

I said before my lesson yesterday my goal is 200 fairway and by end I was carrying 200 and grouping 15 yards off line which is fairway

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you optimize your launch conditions that delivers 200carry/230total. I've no idea what your game is like, but you could probably play off high single figures if the rest of your game is decent - might be better to tick driver of the list and move onto putting/chipping/100yd wedges...

My putting could improve (lag putting) chipping is fairly decent , a lot of people always say if I could drive I’d be a teen handicapper rather than in my 20s..

I’m planning to buy another lesson package with my pro now he has trackman (I’ve said on here before how hard he is to book but now he has an online diary it’s much easier) and we won’t be focusing on driver for those 4 lessons for sure

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be blasting it a good few further than that, however i'd give up msot of that to be in the damn fairway half the time, great grouping and congratulations on the improved distance! hell being honest if my 5 iron had that grouping i'd be paying the coach double!

Out of interest whats keeping your swing speed down?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought it was funny if not a bit predictable. 🤣🤣 nothing gives you a reality check like a launch monitor. Everyone thinks they average 270 until it gets measured
Taking the pish out of your mates in person is fine. I'm partial to it myself. Doing it from behind a keyboard to a stranger is a bit poor (and not particularly funny).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be blasting it a good few further than that, however i'd give up msot of that to be in the damn fairway half the time, great grouping and congratulations on the improved distance! hell being honest if my 5 iron had that grouping i'd be paying the coach double!

Out of interest whats keeping your swing speed down?

I honestly have no idea! We got from 82 at start of lesson to 85 pushing 87 at the end of lesson

I think speed however is something David (my pro) will be able to work on without me realising

Wolf

Visit site
Good to see improvement that's aligned with the new bat and lesson, good numbers to for better distance with a nice dispersion rate. If you keep it around that distance in play and align that with some solid wedge work and putting, you could see a significant drop in handicap.

I'm interested in the F9 as well so perhaps I should take a stroll to the shops today whilst the Mrs is doing wedding bits so I don't get in the way!

Taking the pish out of your mates in person is fine. I'm partial to it myself. Doing it from behind a keyboard to a stranger is a bit poor (and not particularly funny).

Totally agree with this, have banter on the course with pals but doing it to a stranger from behind a keyboard is poor taste, but then we all know the penis waving contest from behind the keyboard that is forum distance comparisons...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good to see improvement that's aligned with the new bat and lesson, good numbers to for better distance with a nice dispersion rate. If you keep it around that distance in play and align that with some solid wedge work and putting, you could see a significant drop in handicap.

I'm interested in the F9 as well so perhaps I should take a stroll to the shops today whilst the Mrs is doing wedding bits so I don't get in the way!

Totally agree with this, have banter on the course with pals but doing it to a stranger from behind a keyboard is poor taste, but then we all know the penis waving contest from behind the keyboard that is forum distance comparisons...

They tried to convince me to get the F9 , saying I couldn’t be custom fit for the F7 as they didn’t have the heads available to test etc

So got them to tap up the club, move the loft to 9.5 and I noticed instant distance jump between my old driver and this one (range has protrace built in the bays) so I managed a cheeky pricematch and sold them the old club

£105 parted for the driver in actual cash

£65 lesson on trackman

Results priceless

Wolf

Visit site
They tried to convince me to get the F9 , saying I couldn’t be custom fit for the F7 as they didn’t have the heads available to test etc

So got them to tap up the club, move the loft to 9.5 and I noticed instant distance jump between my old driver and this one (range has protrace built in the bays) so I managed a cheeky pricematch and sold them the old club

£105 parted for the driver in actual cash

£65 lesson on trackman

Results priceless
Top effort that man..
I've got the F6 and really like it big fan of Cobra drivers, only reason for the upgrade is new and shiny and trying persuade the Mrs I need it 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Top effort that man..
I've got the F6 and really like it big fan of Cobra drivers, only reason for the upgrade is new and shiny and trying persuade the Mrs I need it 😂

Yeah my Mrs wasn’t impressed id bought another club but it’s been a year!

My driver history isn’t awful

2012 ping g15 £133 on offer
2015 TM R15 £175
2016 TM m2 £179 (got £100 for the r15 to make it cheaper)
2019 Cobra £105 after getting money for m2

I think that’s reasonable

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done OP on your new gains and hope results keep on get better :)

On the subject of distance I watched a Netflix documentary the other night ( recommend it if not seen it) about 8 year old kids playing for the world championship at pinehurst.

Anyway these kids are about 3 foot tall and all skin and bones but they were smashing their drivers over 175 yards !

I was really amazed how good they were at that age ! And how far they coukd
Hit a ball

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well done OP on your new gains and hope results keep on get better :)

On the subject of distance I watched a Netflix documentary the other night ( recommend it if not seen it) about 8 year old kids playing for the world championship at pinehurst.

Anyway these kids are about 3 foot tall and all skin and bones but they were smashing their drivers over 175 yards !

I was really amazed how good they were at that age ! And how far they coukd
Hit a ball

The short game?

Most of them are teenagers now, so that's probably become their wedge distance!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one of the guys i play with only hits it 200 off the tee, he is 67 and still off 3, all about the short game, he's handicap is at a longer course too 6800...;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd say 200 yards for a 67 year old is damn good ball striking.

he wouldn't he's always moaning about his lack of distance, but never misses a fairway. his brother who is 1 year younger hits it 50 yards past him, but off 6 and his mate also off 6 carries it 270 off the tee:LOL:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

You always say this about you’re driving distances, 230 is probably average distance not girly short, many on here will be long hitters but I would hazard a guess that your distances would be around average for forum members.