New rule book 2019

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Still the most ridiculous rule persists, no relief from divots on fairways.

In reality, it would be very difficult to define a divot in the rule book that didn't require an element of subjectivity. Or a long and detailed section defining what a divot is.

Remember, the rules also do not define a fairway, but refer to 'areas through the green'

So the rule would possibly end up being, preferred lies on all areas through the green. Or maybe all mown areas through the green.

A lot of what most people think would be simple rules (such as long putter ban) become very difficult to put into the rule book without having unintended consequences, or requiring potentially whole new sections.

If clubs felt divots were a particular issue, perhaps at a collection area 100 yards short of the green, they could implement GUR or a local rule on preferred lies.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
How many times do people really end up in them? I'd imagine once or twice a season?

Then because they get worked up, they play a bad shot and blame it on the lie.

Spot on. I landed in my first divot hole yesterday all season, was a bit pissed when I seen it and then said out loud to the others, can't argue, it's the first time all season, and I play a lot of golf. Suck it up, that's golf, no one said it was meant to be easy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
How many times do people really end up in them? I'd imagine once or twice a season?

Then because they get worked up, they play a bad shot and blame it on the lie.

get it pretty regularly. about 4 of our fairways collect good drives in the same spot, these are covered in repaired divots. one particular hole' the 9th is more divot than fairway by this time of year. Divots have to be sand a seed mixed filled as crows pull up any replaced divots almost as soon as they are replaced. for me more than the shot, its the fact our greens keepers good work is undone so often.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It could be a minefield for playing partners being called over to answer the question -' Is this a divot or rabbit scrape?' It can only slow play up more. Golf is not supposed to be fair.

Replace your divots and get on with the game.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did not the old rule book (and hopefully the new) open with "Play the course as you find it, play the the ball as it lies"? Which to me says it all.

The trouble with following that simple motto is it can get you a penalty.

Do not have the full quote but it also said something like

" do what is fair but to know what is fair you must know the rules"

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The trouble with following that simple motto is it can get you a penalty.

Do not have the full quote but it also said something like

" do what is fair but to know what is fair you must know the rules"

I also don't have it to hand, but it said something like " ... and if you can't do either, then do what is fair ... ".

But go on, I'll bite. What penalties are you likely to kop for following the first two parts of the maxim?