new putter purchased! scared!!

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
so after the face of my odyssey 2 ball rotting away over the winter , nipped to american golf after work to try some putters 1hour later i had made my decision but boy was it difficult !!!

at the end it was a choice of 3

taylor made ghost spider s
Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 7

all 3 of these could of made the bag , if the taylor made ghost had been cheaper it would be a no brainer seriously its like cheating but at 150quid this will have to wait , the cleveland was lovely and i think would make a difference on distance control but my big problem is the litttle 1s and theres too much scope for error ....

so in the end i chose the Odyssey White Hot XG #7 , nice feel and should help holing the 3-5 footers that i struggle with :rolleyes:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am looking at one of them atm as going to put the scotty on the naughty step. I did have the metal x version and at 1st it was great but I didnt like the feel off the face, having had a 2 ball XG belly I liked the feel of that so the #7 is deffo on thewanted list.

don't forget though - a new club a great golfer doth not make :p

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am looking at one of them atm as going to put the scotty on the naughty step. I did have the metal x version and at 1st it was great but I didnt like the feel off the face, having had a 2 ball XG belly I liked the feel of that so the #7 is deffo on thewanted list.

don't forget though - a new club a great golfer doth not make :p

So. The £200 RRP on the Scott hasn't improved your putting stroke? Strange! Lol sometimes it's not just the equipment.

Anyway, great choice in putter my mates just got an odyssey from NWJocko and his lag putting has improved no end! Rather annoying as it was one area I could catch him up on lol

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I picked up a ghost spider not the S version but used for £70 more realistic option.
That said the S is £139 @ DG with £20 off voucher around makes it £119 and much more competitively priced?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the Spider S, albeit briefly, and it is very easy to use and keep the face square. Not actually sure why I got rid of it so quickly come to think of it. It isn't the most attractive looking putter that's for sure. Anyways, I'm off for a putter fitting at 1pm today (HUGE EXCITEMENT!!!) so will be interesting to see what I come out with. Budget not so much of an issue as the Mrs is paying!

The OP went with an Odyssey #7, they seem to be quite popular on tour, but never seen anyone with them at our club, might have to give one a go later today.

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
I had the Spider S, albeit briefly, and it is very easy to use and keep the face square. Not actually sure why I got rid of it so quickly come to think of it. It isn't the most attractive looking putter that's for sure. Anyways, I'm off for a putter fitting at 1pm today (HUGE EXCITEMENT!!!) so will be interesting to see what I come out with. Budget not so much of an issue as the Mrs is paying!

The OP went with an Odyssey #7, they seem to be quite popular on tour, but never seen anyone with them at our club, might have to give one a go later today.

FAINTS !!

to be honest it was the ease of alignment for me , if this fails i will defo be back for the spider

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I really want the TM Ghost Spider S, but with HID being pregnant I really can't justify £150 on a putter!

Fader ........ I really am trying not to post the obvious comment about there being clearly nothing wrong with you holing out ..... !!

Blast, couldn't stop myself!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just goes to show how different people look for different things and what things suits different eyes.

I wouldn't have even looked any of the above :mad: , they just don't suit my eye.

Had a nudge with an Odyssey putter a while back in AG waiting for my old boy to finish swatting 3 woods. I don't know what it is with Odyssey putters but I can never seem to find an insert I like. Even the Pro-Type milled faces feel wrong :mad:

Each to their own, I really hope it works for you and gives you the confidence to hole some putts :thup:

Out of interest. Did you have the in store pro look at your swing, or did you go with what felt right?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My No.7H is the Tour version.
Still an insert but harder than the White Hot/XG inserts.
Slightly bronzy/gold in colour.

I have my bad days with it but I don't expect to be changing it anytime soon.........

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
Just goes to show how different people look for different things and what things suits different eyes.

I wouldn't have even looked any of the above :mad: , they just don't suit my eye.

Had a nudge with an Odyssey putter a while back in AG waiting for my old boy to finish swatting 3 woods. I don't know what it is with Odyssey putters but I can never seem to find an insert I like. Even the Pro-Type milled faces feel wrong :mad:

Each to their own, I really hope it works for you and gives you the confidence to hole some putts :thup:

Out of interest. Did you have the in store pro look at your swing, or did you go with what felt right?

i just tried lvirtually every putter in the shop lol , then the pro came over and we were talking , straightaway it became apparent my stroke was much more confident with the ghost and the odyssey , the cleveland was a lovely putter and only 50quid but a blade just doesnt suit my stroke , as a i said if money was no option i would walk out with the ghost spider everytime , but this was a forced change so havnt prepared myself to spend on a putter :(

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought mine last year, after a putting lesson. I was using a 30 year old who knows what (somethiung you'd hire at the seaside) and even with no lesson I knew it wasn't right. Too long, no feel etc.

I went with Odyssey White Ice DART. It felt good, and the DART system really helped sort out alignment issues. In my lesson I became very aware that my "neutral" position was twisted, rather than nice and square, which is why everything had been going left. I found the DART alignment easier to use than the two-ball, though seem in a minority amongst golfers on this. I have definitely putted better since.

My pro suggested that with putters feel and confidence was more important than anything else, though different styles do suit different strokes. He implored me not to spend silly money!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a #7 white hot xg. I really liked the feel and the roll but for some reason I really struggled with alignment on those short putts. Just didn't suit my eye. I flogged it to some fella on here.
It's a nice putter, and various #7 variations are very popular on tour as has been pointed out.
Off the top of my head I can think of Donald, Fowler, Poulter and I know there are others I can't remember.

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
i forgot to add the worst putter i tried , these stupid ping adjustable shaft length , absoluetly horribe feel

what were they thinking ! i mean why would you want to do that

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
after playing blades and half mallets for years I bought the TM Spider Vicino, its black and very stable.