New player needing help... with clubs!

leveleight

Visit site
Hi

So just started in the sport and been to the range a few times and couple of rounds at local course. I have been borrowing a friends set of clubs which he has picked up over the years and are just random clubs, but make a set.

Anyways, been looking on eBay and the such for my own set. As a brand junkie I want a Nike set (brandwashed at a earlier age)... however looking around it seems that the shaft brands differ?

Being new to the sport, when someone bought these clubs new did they come with a option of different shafts? Therefore its really all about the original purchasers preference??

Ive seen some with Dynamic Gold, Project X etc... could anyone help me here...? would they have come with a brand as default?

There seems to be very little online, even Nike dont seem to have a shop where I could look?!

Thanks in advance.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Nike pulled out of making clubs a bit back, but that may help with some used sets.
There are shaft manufacturers which the main brands typically source from.

If just starting out maybe just grab what you like the look of.
Usual advice is to try and find a way to hit them prior.
Maybe even gumtree and meet at a range.
Golfbidder as mentioned is useful for checking approx release timeframe for models

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started this year and got a cheap set from gumtree. A few months in I upgraded to another set on gumtree with graphite shafts. TBH even 8 months in, it really is about learning to play. Worry about the right clubs and shafts later when you’ve got a more consistent strike.

Unless you’re rich. Then just go nuts and buy some Callaway Epics.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A while back, cheaper clubs in a range tended to come with a generic shaft labelled up as being from that brand. They're ok.
Further up the range, they would come fitted with the DG, PX etc shafts which are better quality but not necessarily better for you..

These days most clubs are available with full custom fitting for shafts. Some come with no extra charge, some of the more exotic types can see a pretty hefty price hike.

If you're just starting out and want a set of Nike's, although as has been said they pulled out of the club market last year, the either scour eBay/Gumtree or go to Golfbidder. Golfbidder guarantee your clubs are genuine and their condition ratings are accurate. You do pay a touch more but you can also send them back within 7 days for a full refund if you don't like them.
Nike were never a big player in then iron market at amateur level, you might find there's limited choice.
Plenty of Ping, Callaway, TaylorMade secondhand sets around for new golfers, might be worth checking some of them out as well...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Follow bargain golf equipment on facebook, they often post lovely pics of second hand irons at decent prices

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For what it's worth here's my tuppence worth 'Callaway X' series of irons would be a very good starting points as 'Callaway' generally produce a very forgiving club with the 'X series' being a fine example of this... :thup:

Whats with the 'Nike' thing ?...

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As soon as Nike stopped making clubs most of their contracted tour players moved to a different club manufacturer almost straight away. There are much better clubs around than Nike.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The different shafts will generally be because they may have been custom fit as an option when the player bought the clubs originally.

What is more important as a beginner is what heads are fitted. Generally I would advise avoiding sets like Nike pro combo a mix of blades and cavity back. Learn what is a bladed set and what is a cavity back set and those in between and lean towards cavity back sets.

If the set is fitted with speedstep shafts these should be fine. These are what are fitted to a lot of the clubs and Callaway use them as a standard option as well.

7255carl

Club Champion
www.loweryourhandicap.siterubix.com
Are Nike your only brand option? If you are new to the game and want a top brand set that will help you progress could I suggest Callaway or Ping, awesome clubs, top quality and a brand that will give you a little locker room kudos, just my thoughts

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh dear - rocky foundations looking at a specific brand for your very first set of golf clubs...IMO... Just get any old inexpensive second or third hand set of clubs of one of the makes others have suggested - or Nike if you are really set on the brand - it really doesn't matter one jot. Just don't get a set of blades or you'll get fed up with the game pretty darned quick :)

And if for some reason you don't get on with your set - well you just sell them and buy more. Even better - don't sell them - just tuck them away somewhere so that when you realise that it wasn't the clubs that were the problem you can go back to them.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See it’s hard not to offend people saying this but Nike just make godawful clubs!

Rumours for years tiger and Rory didn’t play Nike irons they just had them made with Nike stamps on them

Soon as Nike left the market all their tour pros left em one by one

Go try plenty of brands .. do blind tests and see what comes out best

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Oh dear - rocky foundations looking at a specific brand for your very first set of golf clubs...IMO... Just get any old inexpensive second or third hand set of clubs of one of the makes others have suggested - or Nike if you are really set on the brand - it really doesn't matter one jot. Just don't get a set of blades or you'll get fed up with the game pretty darned quick :)

And if for some reason you don't get on with your set - well you just sell them and buy more. Even better - don't sell them - just tuck them away somewhere so that when you realise that it wasn't the clubs that were the problem you can go back to them.

...this. Spend as little as sensible to start with... by next summer you'll be back in the shops better informed! (get some lessons too)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See it’s hard not to offend people saying this but Nike just make godawful clubs!

Rumours for years tiger and Rory didn’t play Nike irons they just had them made with Nike stamps on them

Soon as Nike left the market all their tour pros left em one by one Go try plenty of brands .. do blind tests and see what comes out best

There is nothing wrong with Nike Pro combos.

Tiger Woods irons were Miura forgings. At the time he first joined Nike they did not make forged blades as was the same with some other manufacturers. They did the same for Cobra (from memory.