New Parent .... How much Golf?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As a very new dad myself (Cooper born 14th Jan 22) I can safely say it takes a back seat for the first few weeks..

However

If you're as canny as me, you'll find ways to get out there still. I have played 2 18 hole rounds and 1 9 hole round since his arrival. As Surreygolfer alludes to above - getting out very early is the key at the weekend.

The summer I think will be my best friend.. 2 hours in an evening for 9 holes will be far easier to wangle than giving up 4 hours on a weekend morning.

I'm also a Villa Season Ticket Holder and only missed one game since his birth - its all possible, just manage your time well. Right now you might think you'll miss golf, but on Sunday I gave up 9 holes to clean the house so Mrs Bdill93 was less stressed! Id do that 10x over for her too, she gave me my boy!

Agree with all that, still kept my Wolves season ticket so buggering off for golf too is just selfish. Being a parent is absolutely draining at first.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played one day a week when my son was born. On the other days I played badminton, squash and snooker.

I ended up giving up the latter 3 so I could continue to play golf.

Once the children were of school age I played twice a week but I hardly played at all in the school holidays.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 3 kids under 5 including twins who are 18 months

I managed to get out once a week

Shift work really helps. Play midweek when wife is at work and childcare is already in place

Also being a member of a course taking what I can get is one way to get out

For example Monday after my night shift I did 9 holes before bed ..

Mrs is taking girls away in Easter with her mum when I'm next nights so I'll play after work twice before bed and get up later

I don't play weekends

Albo

Visit site
This is never an easy one.
Id say don't miss too much of one thing to compensate for another, be that miss too much of the kids growing up to play golf, nor miss too much golf to watch them grow up. Both in some form of moderation. Mine are 7 and 10 now, good thing for when they get older, her friend's husband is now my regular golf partner and their kids are similar ages to ours and all get on well, that opens up a lot more golf opportunities as the wives and kids get to spend time happily and harmoniously (on the whole), and we get to go play golf!!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I didn’t play much golf when my lad was little & it didn’t bother me tbh.
Plenty of time for golf when they’re older.
My lads 14 now & we hardly see him.

Dannyc

Visit site
I’ve got 7 month old daughter
I still play Saturday morning but that’s it now for a bit
A good tip is to keep the missus off work as long as possible I’ve told mine we can just afford u to stay off this summer aswell ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Congrats on your imminent arrival. I'd suggest chatting it out with HID. She may want some "her" time so is happy for you to grab a game be that at the weekend or in the week (you may have to become more flexible where and when you play) or she may want your help as much as possible in which case we'll see you on a course around 2035

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an agreement that I play 3 weekends out of 4 in a month, with us doing something together as a family on the day I’m not playing and then we have a full weekend together on the one I’m not playing.

Plus the days I sneak in during the week that she doesn’t know about

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We were living and working overseas when ours were born and golf was not really practical unless you were very rich and or well connected so I stopped playing for about 10 years.I guess for me it would depend on how time consuming your golf is . When I restarted and the kids were younger I only really played one evening a week but that was fine.
Congrats on the imminent arrival.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It depends on your why you think it’s a problem golfing. When my kids were very young I’d play early once a week and be home by 12:30, which was a good balance for us. If it’s money family comes first.

We decided that we both should have some time for ourselves so golf was never a problem we always had the majority of our weekends as family time. If I had a football season ticket I guess I would have had a choice to make.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
we moved house at the same time our first came along so I kind of fell out of playing. I rejoined a club when my eldest was 3 and didn’t really get the chance to play, we had a second on the way so leaving a pregnant wife with a 3 year old wasn’t doable. Kids are time consuming and if you work longish hours like we both do then time for golf was limited. Think I had 5 or 6 years where a membership wouldn’t have really been worth it.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play twice a month may be on weekends, but as people say out early so I get a quicker round and can be with family more. Summer evenings are a great time as missing a single bed time is OK. Kids are primary school and do notice when I'm out for a large part of the weekend so there is care not to take the mick.

Golf trips away slightly harder but still once a year, i just get a lot of questions as to why they can't come and in return need to ensure family holidays are booked first.

As others say, key is to keep personal hobbies, hopefully have grandparent or family/friends support for babysitting to take time as a couple, and enjoy the rest with family. It's a much greater juggle but you tend to be able to find a balance, you just need to keep focused on what is best for you all and try to make it happen as much as possible.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went from playing 3 times a week before the daughter was born to once a fortnight for a couple of years. It has never yet gone back to being more regular than once a week. Now she’s nine and I feel if I play 3 times a year I’m doing well but partly that’s just how work and pandemic conspired the last few years.

Generally though, I found being a dad is better than golf.?

D

Deleted member 18121

I played every week. In fact I played more with a newborn than I do now with a 9 year old.

I used to tee off at first light on a Sunday morning and be home by midday.... Just made sure that the Mrs also got a few hours to herself if she wanted it every week.

It's as important for you both to have time off, as it is to have time on.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Have an 8 year old who I have every other weekend from a previous and a 3 year old that lives with me and my better half.

Understanding is the key. I warned my gf all through lockdown that I was about to take up golf and she wouldn’t see me as much. Luckily for me she understands that golf is something she would much prefer me doing rather than me going out and doing things that I really shouldn’t be doing, if that makes sense.

Managed to get away 3/4 times a week during last summer and I will be repeating it this summer. As long as I pull my weight around the house and the bills are paid I’m pretty much living a single life when it suits. Like I said previously I’m pretty fortunate to have someone that gets me which is something I can’t say for other lads I play with who have families who only seem to make the odd appearance every now and then.

In hindsight it didn’t make too much difference to her because those 3/4 times a week in the past i’d be playing football anyway so she’s pretty much used to understanding that sports / hobbies are a package that have always come with me.

Last edited:

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I did the total opposite of course. Gave up football, golf (didn’t play regularly back then), going out with my mates etc, and it took a failed relationship to realise that being in each other’s pockets 24 hours a day isn’t good for anyone!

100% real talk. If my previous relationship didn’t break down I wouldn’t be playing golf today. Good riddance to her.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Yep i've given up my season ticket ... it was a really really hard decision to jack in with Sunderland playing so well the past few years

The winter sweep will be getting jacked in next year no chance teeing off between 10 and 11 will work tbf its golf i don't really enjoy anyway.

Some very interesting responses here mixed bag but then all relationships are different i suppose

Money won't be an issue we are both on a decent wedge ... she's off for a year maternity and also going down to 4 days a week and we will still be fine.

The lack of sleep will 100% be the stopping point I reckon

Making sure she gets time alone is a good shout will be interesting to see how that goes she was a very sociable lass hope that doesn't change.

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
It was an 8 year break for me.

Could I have played on when the first came along - I guess so - Would the wife have allowed me - probably - but the truth for me was that when they young, I felt like I was spending enough time out with work and what was left of my social life, and that the priority call was to park the golf for a while. For me, it wasn't external pressure that prevented me from golfing, it came from within.

Now that they are 6 & 8 - the world of golf has re-opened for me and I am playing more now than I ever was pre-children, but appreciate that I am very lucky to be able to do so with a wfh flexible role that allows me to get out most days if I choose to...

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
So i'm about to be a new Dad ...

Is my golfing days over for the foreseeable :LOL: how much did the avid golfers on here get out...

I pretty much gave up when my kids came along, for probably a decade. Work and parenthood made it easy to convince myself there was no time for a hobby, but I’d advise against falling into this trap. All the best ?

sunshine

Visit site
Some familiar stories here. A lot of people advocating the early morning weekend round, so you are back by lunchtime for the rest of the weekend. This works for many but not all, obvious advice but you should discuss what your Mrs prefers.

I look after the kids in the morning, do breakfast, take them to ballet etc. This allows my wife to have a lie in at the weekend, and then I play later having earned some brownie points for the day. Works for us.