New old driver

Johndfc14

Visit site
I have just got back playing after a 12 year break and hope to eventually get playing close to my old handicap of 9.5 . I am thinking of a getting a newish driver to replace my old Wilson fat shaft . I am looking a 2nd hand driver from around 2013 or so because I have heard they are as good or as nearly as good as the latest drivers but will be cheaper. I am still old school enough to want a club that you can’t adjust the weights etc . Has anybody got any views on drivers from that period . At the moment I am thinking of a mizuno jpx 825.

The Fader

Visit site
In my opinion you will notice very little difference in performance between drivers of 5-7 years ago and today's £400+ drivers.

I went for a fitting recently and tried all the top brands in varying configurations and the best of those went 7 yards further than my 2015 Bridgestone J15

That gain for me on Sunday best hits just wasn't worth the money.

Save your money and spend it on lessons or a golf trip!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Callaway X2Hot....
Ping G10/15
Cleveland Launcher 2009 - fantastically underrated driver
Overall distance may be similar to current drivers but the newer clubs will deal with off centre hits better.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would certainly see an improvement from an old Wilson Fat shaft to something newer. The 460cc head size takes a little of getting used to.

What you go for depends very much on how good you are.

My switch from a TaylorMade R9 (2009 driver) to an M4 (2018 driver) gained me about 15 yards.

Depending on how much you want to spend going back one generation of driver and you will not see a lot between the 2.

Johndfc14

Visit site
In my opinion you will notice very little difference in performance between drivers of 5-7 years ago and today's £400+ drivers.

I went for a fitting recently and tried all the top brands in varying configurations and the best of those went 7 yards further than my 2015 Bridgestone J15

That gain for me on Sunday best hits just wasn't worth the money.

Save your money and spend it on lessons or a golf trip!!

That’s what I have been seeing and reading about minimal gains with today’s drivers . I am certainly going to go down the 2nd hand route and not buy brand new for those extra couple of yards etc . I just can justify the cash .Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts on this .

Johndfc14

Visit site
You would certainly see an improvement from an old Wilson Fat shaft to something newer. The 460cc head size takes a little of getting used to.

What you go for depends very much on how good you are.

My switch from a TaylorMade R9 (2009 driver) to an M4 (2018 driver) gained me about 15 yards.

Depending on how much you want to spend going back one generation of driver and you will not see a lot between the 2.
I am looking at no more than £150 and definitely don’t want an adjustable driver . When I got the fat shaft , we thought the size of it was massive ... lol. How times change . Thanks for the advice ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TM M2.... #1,end of, best driver ever had and still beats any new model i've tried in the last 2 years, picked up for peanuts. no weights though. Had a JPX825... not a patch on the M2

NedPizza

Visit site
I have just got back playing after a 12 year break and hope to eventually get playing close to my old handicap of 9.5 . I am thinking of a getting a newish driver to replace my old Wilson fat shaft . I am looking a 2nd hand driver from around 2013 or so because I have heard they are as good or as nearly as good as the latest drivers but will be cheaper. I am still old school enough to want a club that you can’t adjust the weights etc . Has anybody got any views on drivers from that period . At the moment I am thinking of a mizuno jpx 825.

I am/was in a similar situation. Back to the game after 20 years. I changed my irons as the last set I had for over 30 years. Found a good deal on a putter Ping Zing 2i so bought that as well. So the next step was to look at my driver + woods. Currently have Callaway Big Bertha Warbird circa 1997, at the time they were the business, decided to keep them as I'll only be playing a short 3 par in the near future. However in your case I think you should go for it ;)

Johndfc14

Visit site
I am/was in a similar situation. Back to the game after 20 years. I changed my irons as the last set I had for over 30 years. Found a good deal on a putter Ping Zing 2i so bought that as well. So the next step was to look at my driver + woods. Currently have Callaway Big Bertha Warbird circa 1997, at the time they were the business, decided to keep them as I'll only be playing a short 3 par in the near future. However in your case I think you should go for it ;)
My driver I can replace but changing my 30 year old ping eye2 irons are not an option ?.