New Kitchen Advice

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Appliances…we’re mostly Bosch folk, but for no great reason other than it has always done us fine. We‘ve been quoted for Zanussi appliances of which we have little experience. They look fine and the price is right…but I would welcome thoughts on Zanussi - ovens, fridge freezer, induction hob etc.

Also, price them up yourselves.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not worry so much about that any more as I always have a policy in place to cover the repairs to the main kitchen appliances as they are not expensive. My issue has been with what brands can be repaired easily. May be simply heresay but I have head comments that Bosch are a nightmare to repair by anyone except a Bosch engineer.
Thats just independant engineers being scared of them beacuse of the spares costs. The Bosch group (Bosch/Neff Siemens) are acutally one of the easiest to get spares for and freely give exploded views and part numbers. No one gives technical information, but spare part numbers and availability (in general) the BSH group or very good.
Zanussi used to be very good (I should know, I worked for there service side for 13 years), but I wouldnt be so keen to have them now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thats just independant engineers being scared of them beacuse of the spares costs. The Bosch group (Bosch/Neff Siemens) are acutally one of the easiest to get spares for and freely give exploded views and part numbers. No one gives technical information, but spare part numbers and availability (in general) the BSH group or very good.
Zanussi used to be very good (I should know, I worked for there service side for 13 years), but I wouldnt be so keen to have them now.
My understanding is that Zanussi appliances are basically AEG without all the bells and whistles (that I wouldn’t use in any case)? That said at the moment I’m looking at Bosch ovens and Zanussi induction hob and fridge freezer. Bosch induction hob being a LOT more expensive and what’s in a basic 70:30 fridge:freezer that has me paying £100 or so more for a Bosch.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that Zanussi appliances are basically AEG without all the bells and whistles (that I wouldn’t use in any case)? That said at the moment I’m looking at Bosch ovens and Zanussi induction hob and fridge freezer. Bosch induction hob being a LOT more expensive and what’s in a basic 60:40 fridge:freezer that has me paying £100 or so more for a Bosch.
Youre understanding is not quite there. Most AEG appliances are slightly posher and rebadged Zanussi appliances. Electrolux own both, but the Zanussi prodution line were more modern than AEG and so most production is Zanussi in origin, even if they now produce some in China.
As regards your fridge freezer question, I would suggest quality of plastics, electronics and in my opinion design/layout is generally better in the BSH group. BSH are also one of the very few who do direct mounted decor doors as opposed to slding hinge systems. If I were to have an integrated fridge freezer (and I don't) I would want one with the best self closing and sprung hinges, and you cannot have that with slider mount doors where you rely on the spring tension of the cupboard door hinges to drive the decor door, appliance door and everything in it closed.
Its no different to why pay for a BMW when you can have a Dacia to do the very basic same things.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that Zanussi appliances are basically AEG without all the bells and whistles (that I wouldn’t use in any case)? That said at the moment I’m looking at Bosch ovens and Zanussi induction hob and fridge freezer. Bosch induction hob being a LOT more expensive and what’s in a basic 60:40 fridge:freezer that has me paying £100 or so more for a Bosch.
We used Aeg ovens and induction hob and are very pleased and had no problems after 4 years.
We looked at lots of 60 /40 fridge freezers and decided on the Bosch even though it was dearer as the design and quality is much better.
For the kitchen we looked at Wicks, Wren, Howdens and Magnet.
Wicks design wasn't good and we're very pushy.
Wren gave the vibe of a fast selling sales operation - although the showroom was very good with lots of choice.
Howdens were OK but you had to get your own builder. My experience with builders and kitchens is that they're not very good at finishing touches and generally a law unto themselves.
Magnet were very good in all aspects. It took us probably 6 months from first visit to decide. Not once did the designer we dealt with put us under any pressure or ask for the order. Every question we asked he had an answer or communicated at a later date.
After placing the order they sent the fitters round to survey. One of the questions I asked was how long would it take to complete, he replied straight away, "Seven working days".
I asked them to take the old kitchen out carefully as I was selling it on.
They arrived at 8am every morning and didn't stop working and didn't even want drinks.
I wanted one company that did everything and that's exactly what we got with Magnet, very pleased and would certainly use again.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We used Aeg ovens and induction hob and are very pleased and had no problems after 4 years.
We looked at lots of 60 /40 fridge freezers and decided on the Bosch even though it was dearer as the design and quality is much better.
For the kitchen we looked at Wicks, Wren, Howdens and Magnet.
Wicks design wasn't good and we're very pushy.
Wren gave the vibe of a fast selling sales operation - although the showroom was very good with lots of choice.
Howdens were OK but you had to get your own builder. My experience with builders and kitchens is that they're not very good at finishing touches and generally a law unto themselves.
Magnet were very good in all aspects. It took us probably 6 months from first visit to decide. Not once did the designer we dealt with put us under any pressure or ask for the order. Every question we asked he had an answer or communicated at a later date.
After placing the order they sent the fitters round to survey. One of the questions I asked was how long would it take to complete, he replied straight away, "Seven working days".
I asked them to take the old kitchen out carefully as I was selling it on.
They arrived at 8am every morning and didn't stop working and didn't even want drinks.
I wanted one company that did everything and that's exactly what we got with Magnet, very pleased and would certainly use again.
Very interesting on suppliers. Also interested to read that you sold on your existing one. We are thinking we might use at least some of it at my MiLs, but we would only be able to use one or two units at hers so would be better to try and sell our existing (Magnet) one as it’s still pretty good condition.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Speaking to our builder... we may buy Howden via him. He offers to pass down any discounts. Does anyone know what kind of trade discounts/passthru do builders get on a Howden's kitchen for a 10k kitchen... looking for order the magnitude rather than absolute figure.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Speaking to our builder... we may buy Howden via him. He offers to pass down any discounts. Does anyone know what kind of trade discounts/passthru do builders get on a Howden's kitchen for a 10k kitchen... looking for order the magnitude rather than absolute figure.

Its not a fixed figure, they dont all get the same price and a lot of smoke and mirrors goes on! Their discounts tends to depend on how much business they do with Howdens and then how much they pass on to you and also what you buy (different parts of kitchens discounted differently etc). Also maybe more on offer with their big sale imminent

When we did the last kitchen (2-3 years ago) I think the offer ended up close to 50% off on the cupboards and units (we didnt have appliances/worktops etc on the quote) but we bought elsewhere, but have heard off people being offered more than that

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw an advert yesterday for Which magazine comparing the usual kitchen suppliers. It's behind a pay wall but might be interesting for anyone looking at the moment.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had two kitchens made and fitted in my houses by a local small company that design, make and fit. Absolutely first class product and service while being surprisingly competitive prices.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Depends on how much discount the builder gets as Howdens offer different discount amounts to different builders.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had two kitchens made and fitted in my houses by a local small company that design, make and fit. Absolutely first class product and service while being surprisingly competitive prices.

I am sure there are a few around but finding them is hens teeth… only word of mouth possibly

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re Bosch kitchen appliances, I came home from the golf yesterday afternoon expecting mince and tatties for my tea, only to be greeted by my wife who was extremely rattled as she had inadvertently switched on the Child Lock on the hob and couldn't disable it. She said she had scoured the instruction book to try and find how to switch the thing off but couldn't make sense of it. It only took me a minute to point out that she was reading the instruction book for the oven!!! I did not make too much of an issue of it until after tea as if I had, my dinner would have been in the dog. :LOL:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spent about 2 hrs at Wren... decent walk around.... but all these lines and options... it is mind numbing... by the time we finished, i could not tell the difference between Ultra, Ultra Plus, Linea with Ultra handles .....
I think the key lines they have is Infinity Plus, Infinity and Supply only.

She knew we are looking at Howdens. So was hardselling that Howden quality is at the lower end of Wren... So the Supply and Infinity models. There is no way to compare

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Howdens are no way inferior to Wren.
DIY kitchens are excellent as well, but you need to make sure your measurements are spot on, unless you are Yorkshire based ?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spent about 2 hrs at Wren... decent walk around.... but all these lines and options... it is mind numbing... by the time we finished, i could not tell the difference between Ultra, Ultra Plus, Linea with Ultra handles .....

She knew we are looking at Howdens. So was hardselling that Howden quality is at the lower end of Wren... So the Supply and Infinity models. There is no way to compare

That would make me not use Wren!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Most kitchen fitters will vouch for Howdens over Wrens. This was certainly the view based on the research we did last year.

Cost wise, Wrens v Howdens were similar. I made sure though we ordered the "hardware" from Howdens during their sale (which is coming up, I believe, in Oct??).

I also preferred Howdens in that we contracted our own builder based on previous work. Wrens, you get a contractor that may or may not be good.

10 month on and (touch wood), our Howdens kitchen is excellent, with no issues.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone come across John Lewis doing fitted kitchens? Never seen them before but it popped up in a thread.
I am assuming it is JL quality so worth a look.