New Kitchen Advice

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
To quote Kirsty Allsop, 'pan draws, you can never have too many'. Draws that slide in an out, meaning nothing gets stuck at the back, you can see everything and you no longer have to bend down awkwardly. Kirsty knows her kitchens ;)

Plug sockets. Get extra to how many you think you need. You always need more. I stayed in a holiday cottage that had pop up sockets in the island, inc usb points. I loved that. Ideal for charging phones, tablets, smart speakers etc.

If you are having an island or seating, get USB plug sockets near by.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
If you are having an island or seating, get USB plug sockets near by.

This. We've got a lovely big island and I often wish we had more accessible plug sockets on it. We have 3 doubles on it but they're taken up with the boiling tap and the wine cooler under the sink and then the other doubles are hidden in a cupboard under where the seats go at the breakfast bar. So are never used and a bit awkward to get to.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
This. We've got a lovely big island and I often wish we had more accessible plug sockets on it. We have 3 doubles on it but they're taken up with the boiling tap and the wine cooler under the sink and then the other doubles are hidden in a cupboard under where the seats go at the breakfast bar. So are never used and a bit awkward to get to.

you could use them to spur off and put a new socket on the side, look at the pic I posted earlier, we have them on either end

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Last thing, think about lighting early!! I regret not putting in better lighting above the sink. You end up washing up a bit in your own shadow..
Lighting is something that we have not really engaged our thinking on…and I‘m aware it could become a last minute - we’ve got to make a decision…now! thing.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a Howdens consultant coming round next week to measure up and discuss our needs for a new kitchen. Was going to also look at Wren but don’t think I’ll bother. Our builder will install…he has a long and good working relationship with the Howdens branch we are using. Have been thinking taps and 1) don’t see the point of the ‘professional’ style 2) Quooker boiling water tap…my Mrs is very wary…plus the outlay and ongoing costs given our water is very hard…really? Nah. Got a lot of other stuff we need to sort ahead of such an extravagance.

Existing Howdens kitchen has lasted well. Still to decide on worktops (current from Howdens is wood) and appliance brand, as not over enamoured by our Lamona fridge and freezer…though our Bosch oven and ceramic hob are fine. But will def look at alternative brands…suggestions (Neff etc?) welcome ?

If you look at the Lamona reviews - not great all. We went the extra mile and got Neff hob and Miele oven; both brilliant. I didn't buy these via Howdens as I sourced via Currys as I get a discount.

We opted for a removeable flexi tap - extremely handy and useful.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you look at the Lamona reviews - not great all. We went the extra mile and got Neff hob and Miele oven; both brilliant. I didn't buy these via Howdens as I sourced via Currys as I get a discount.

We opted for a removeable flexi tap - extremely handy and useful.

Fully agree on the flexi tap. Our has a pull out so it’s not in view if you don’t want it to be (wife’s preference!)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hope you change the charcoal cartridges regularly;)

Even then its the steam that causes problems. It would have to vent to the air for us but it means putting it through the roof. (Single story pitched roof extension) probably easier just to keep the hob along the wall and go for an over sized extractor. Keep the Island as a breakfast bar.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even then its the steam that causes problems. It would have to vent to the air for us but it means putting it through the roof. (Single story pitched roof extension) probably easier just to keep the hob along the wall and go for an over sized extractor. Keep the Island as a breakfast bar.
If a hood is recirculating you need to change the charcoal cartridge/s every 6 months or more depending on use. If it has metal mesh filters, they can go through the dishwasher once a month or if it has paper filters instead of the metal mesh then that should be changed when the markings are visible from the back through to the front.
I accept reculating is no where as good as extraction, but if reculating has to be the way it is important to maximise the hoods effectivness with regular filter changes/replacements. Sadly many fitters dont fit charcoal cartridges as they are very often an accessory and not standard supply with a new hood.
If the hood is drawing good air flow, then even the steam should be drawn through the filters and neutralised:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have had designs for a new kitchen created by Howdens and Wren - very different experiences given the very flash and impressive Wren showroom and virtual reality facility compared with the Howdens pretty bared down approach.

Looking wider than these two, friends of ours have an Optiplan kitchen as we have a local branch. They are pleased with their kitchen and experience - and so we went along today and we were impressed by the design consultant - he listened to us closely and took us logically through what might work and what wouldn't...and so they are on the table. Follow-up session with him scheduled for a couple of weeks time when he'll take us through a design. Anyone had experience of Optiplan kitchens?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Looking wider than these two, friends of ours have an Optiplan kitchen as we have a local branch. They are pleased with their kitchen and experience - and so we went along today and we were impressed by the design consultant - he listened to us closely and took us logically through what might work and what wouldn't...and so they are on the table. Follow-up session with him scheduled for a couple of weeks time when he'll take us through a design. Anyone had experience of Optiplan kitchens?
Had two kitchens from them first one 30 years ago which was fine. Second one about seven years ago which was not so good.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had two kitchens from them first one 30 years ago which was fine. Second one about seven years ago which was not so good.
If you can share those aspects of concern that would be helpful - PM if you prefer. If your concerns are relevant to the kitchen we are looking for I may ask the appropriate questions and/or seek reassurances on the aspects of issue.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are electricity for cooking and not going to go gas. So…Induction hob or ceramic? And is risk that induction hobs present to those with a pacemaker over-stated?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are electricity for cooking and not going to go gas. So…Induction hob or ceramic? And is risk that induction hobs present to those with a pacemaker over-stated?
I love my induction hob. Stupidly fast at boiling a pot of water, but still very controllable. It was a pain having to change all the pots and pans tho.

The manual does have a specific "do not use if you have a pacemaker" warning. I'd never heard of the problem before I read the manual, but I must admit I wouldn't risk it if there was a pacemaker-user living in the house.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love my induction hob. Stupidly fast at boiling a pot of water, but still very controllable. It was a pain having to change all the pots and pans tho.

The manual does have a specific "do not use if you have a pacemaker" warning. I'd never heard of the problem before I read the manual, but I must admit I wouldn't risk it if there was a pacemaker-user living in the house.
we do have a friend who has a pacemaker - though he rarely comes round to our house.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Induction any day of the week, and not the 13a plug in ones, the full blown 6 or7 kw ones that need their own 32a circuit. Also make sure the back of the cupboard under the hob has ventilation put into it.