New Kitchen Advice

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Having seen enough of these type of thing break. I'll stick with boiling the kettle. Seems like a waste of energy keeping water that hot just in case you want to make a drink. And with indication hobs. It takes not time to boil water in a pan.

It's cheaper and more efficient than boiling a kettle. The thermos is ultra efficient and there is no waste as you only use the water you need. Additionally you can add boiling water to cold when washing up a couple of things so you don't need to wait for the hot water to come through

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's cheaper and more efficient than boiling a kettle.

Really?? It might, and I repeat might, use fractionally less energy compared to (say) using a kettle, BUT with the upfront cost, ongoing maintenance, filters, etc my fag packet shows that you probably would need 20 - 40 years to show a profit - and that is only based on the unit lasting that long.

Latest must have, look what I've got, gizmo imho. And I still wouldn't let SWMBO anywhere near one.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really?? It might, and I repeat might, use fractionally less energy compared to (say) using a kettle, BUT with the upfront cost, ongoing maintenance, filters, etc my fag packet shows that you probably would need 20 - 40 years to show a profit - and that is only based on the unit lasting that long.

Latest must have, look what I've got, gizmo imho. And I still wouldn't let SWMBO anywhere near one.
The yearly service costs are quite eye watering.

Yorkhacker

Visit site

Like most gadgets, it's not about the cost it's about the convenience. Why do people buy microwaves when they already have an oven? If you wouldn't let SWMBO near a Quooker, I hope you don't let her use a kettle!

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had a new kitchen 2 years ago and the fitter/supplier mentioned this as an option, but didn't push it. We weighed up the up front cost, on going costs, convenience, and decided that it definitely wasn't worth it on several fronts. Our choice.

One assumes that you have bought into it. Your choice.

Each to their own.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From Which.co.uk (My underlining)

There's a filter built into the hot water tank, which can last up to five years. If you live in a hard water area you can also add a limescale-control unit for £245. Replacement filters for the limescale unit cost £90 and will need to be replaced every 24 months.
As for the filter in the tank itself, you could either get a Quooker engineer to service the tap and replace the filter for £150 or do it yourself with a kit for £30.
Quooker also sell a cold-water filter to make drinking water taste better. It's available on the Flex and Fusion taps and needs to replaced every six months.

So that's a real bargain then.:eek: We'll stick with an energy efficient (and cost effective) kettle.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve just bought my 4th Howdens kitchen, can’t fault them.
DIY kitchen quality was excellent as well, put one in my holiday house.
Be prepared to pay the same again for worktops ??

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We bought a wren kitchen last year and we're very happy with it. Fitter seemed pretty pleased with it all as well.

However, we saved a fortune by buying the quartz worktop from a local supplier. We basically showed them the sample we'd got from wren and they matched it as close as they could. I think Wren wanted £3k for the worktop and this firm did it fitted for £1.6k.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The misses is just back from abroad where they installed a worktop for a customer. They spend that money just on transport!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The worktop makes the Kitchen Ken, no point in fitting a kitchen and putting in a crap worktop!!
I didn't say fit a crap worktop. There are good looking alternatives to quartz and granite are there not?
We need to replace our kitchen, thankfully it is small. But, the thought of a few grand just for a worktop is scary.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seemingly Wren does make good kitchens.
But they built an unnecessarily high extension [ unused air space, and loss of heat ].
But sadly it blocks out about 2 hours of our already limited sunshine :cry::mad:.

Attachments

• 2017-06-28 22.21.35.jpg
    2017-06-28 22.21.35.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2017-07-03 21.14.44.jpg
    2017-07-03 21.14.44.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 15

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got a Howdens consultant coming round next week to measure up and discuss our needs for a new kitchen. Was going to also look at Wren but don’t think I’ll bother. Our builder will install…he has a long and good working relationship with the Howdens branch we are using. Have been thinking taps and 1) don’t see the point of the ‘professional’ style 2) Quooker boiling water tap…my Mrs is very wary…plus the outlay and ongoing costs given our water is very hard…really? Nah. Got a lot of other stuff we need to sort ahead of such an extravagance.

Existing Howdens kitchen has lasted well. Still to decide on worktops (current from Howdens is wood) and appliance brand, as not over enamoured by our Lamona fridge and freezer…though our Bosch oven and ceramic hob are fine. But will def look at alternative brands…suggestions (Neff etc?) welcome ?

Last edited: