New Irons

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
So I've decided to go for it next year and join my first golf club and I've also thought to treat myself to some actual irons from this century irons! (Bye bye Hippos :( )
I reckon im around a 18 hcap can shoot between 85 - 92 which i guess is in the game improvement category.
Never actually bought some new irons before so really looking forward to the process and i was just wondering do people look at the lofts before going to try.
For example my setup (happy with other clubs)
Driver
3W 15*
Hybrid 20*
Irons
Wedges 52*, 56* and 60*

I was looking at Ping G,s 5-PW which is 24* to 45* which seem to fit and actually leaves a spare club. But if I save a bit more I could go for the 400s 5-U 23.5*-49.5* which on paper fits better.
So should I save up and go for the 400s or save about £200 and go for the Gs??
Alex

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer. Try before you buy. I wouldn't limit yourself to one brand. I'd also be wary as a lot of manufacturers will be bringing new gear out between now and the start of next season (around Masters time) so you could potentially get some current or last incarnation models at a decent price. Definitey don't buy based on lofts

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pro explained it to me once.. the game improvements Are easier to hit but launch higher so they lower the loft to keep the flight down

For example my 43 degree ap1 pitch wedge goes same as my 46 degree vokey

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Irons for me in priority
1. Head design
2. Shaft
3. Loft

The 5 iron in some sets has the same loft as 4 iron in others so it worth checking the lofts between sets if you want a true comparison.

When it comes to choosing between Ping sets sole width should be taken in to consideration and what type of hitter you are ie what type of ground contact you achieve.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Irons for me in priority
1. Head design
2. Shaft
3. Loft

The 5 iron in some sets has the same loft as 4 iron in others so it worth checking the lofts between sets if you want a true comparison.

When it comes to choosing between Ping sets sole width should be taken in to consideration and what type of hitter you are ie what type of ground contact you achieve.

I'd go with that. It has to suit my eye and not be too big a head and too thick a topline. After that it's about the right shaft for my game. Not overly fussed about the lofts as the first thing I'd do with new clubs is go to the practice ground and work out the yardages

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
so many good manufacturers but you specifically mention Ping and in all fairness wouldn't go far wrong. Ping website allows you to perform a static fit.

If you want to invest time in process get to fitting day or book a hour session at local American Golf.

Enjoy....

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd say find a recommended fitter who covers multiple brands and go and get fitted. The fitter will advise on the best combination and fit for both distance and dispersion. After that, it will be about personal preference from the short list.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've got back into golf recently and had no idea that irons have moved on so much. Turns out my Wilsons were about 25 years old. Tried two sets out with my teaching pro (Callaway and Yonex), and averaged 20 yds further on the distance machine with a new 7 iron against my old set. Chose Yonex Z Force for £ 300 and love them. Haven't made me any better but the sweet shots go further.