New Irons

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just about to get my first handicap through in a long time. It's looking like it's going to be around 12 from the two cards I have submitted already. So, I thought it was about time I stopped chopping it around with my Ping Eye 2+ relics, and treated myself to some new irons in readiness for the new season. After many hours of watching reviews and reading specs (Crikey them lofts are cranked these days aren't they! I'm going to have a big gap at the wedge end to fill!), I've kind of narrowed it down to two I like the look and sound of.

Callaway XR and
Mizuno JPX EZ 16

I originally wanted to stay with Ping but I have to say I'm not impressed with looks or build quality of the recent offerings, so am jumping ship.

I'm looking at the used market £300/£350 and these two also fit that slot nicely.

I am also not the most consistent ball striker. My reasonable handicap cards have been mainly down to good chipping and putting, so I do need a little help in the Game Improvement category.

Just wondered if any of you folk have any experience of the above irons, or maybe some of you have tried both? I must say I am leaning towards the Mizunos as the lofts are not quite as cranked I don't think, and are a tad nearer what I'm used to. Just to add that when I do connect out of the middle, my Eye 2 7 iron (35*) goes 150yds with good high flight.

What I really don't want to hear is someone shout "Stay with the eye 2's" ;)

Over to you.

DCB

Visit site
I have played an original set of the EZs (2014) and they have to be one of the easiest clubs I've hit ....ever. So, if the 16 model is out there in your price range it will certainly be worth a look.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't give up on Pings until you have tried the newer models.

I have just bought a set of G's and they are really nice. Appreciate they may be outside your price range unless you could find a 2nd hand set, but from what I have read the recent G series are also good and seem suited to players like us.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have played an original set of the EZs (2014) and they have to be one of the easiest clubs I've hit ....ever. So, if the 16 model is out there in your price range it will certainly be worth a look.

Seems to be the general consensus that they are easy to hit, if there is such a thing :)

I wouldn't give up on Pings until you have tried the newer models.

I have just bought a set of G's and they are really nice. Appreciate they may be outside your price range unless you could find a 2nd hand set, but from what I have read the recent G series are also good and seem suited to players like us.

Hmm. I just think that the current line up from Ping are pretty ugly looking things really. G25 was ok. I series ok, but I'm not struck on the rest. I've also tried a friends G30 irons and wasn't keen, performance or looks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not what you want to hear but stick with the Eye 2, those clubs are made from the hardest metal known to man so can't have worn out;)

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not what you want to hear but stick with the Eye 2, those clubs are made from the hardest metal known to man so can't have worn out;)

:D. They're almost smooth! Get loads of ribbing about their age but they still work. I'm hoping that all these years of technological improvements will amaze me.

DCB

Visit site
I bought my set second hand, Fortunately someone didn't like them. I needed something that would help me get the ball airborne and give a good flight. I had to go this route after a serious accident and reduced flexibility and swing speed. The JPX have certainly met my expectations although I do still carry my original gap and sand wedges.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I bought my set second hand, Fortunately someone didn't like them. I needed something that would help me get the ball airborne and give a good flight. I had to go this route after a serious accident and reduced flexibility and swing speed. The JPX have certainly met my expectations although I do still carry my original gap and sand wedges.

Yes, I'm going to have to leave my Eye 2 wedge (48*) in the bag for the time being to plug the gap between the EZ PW (45*) and my 52*

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i play the xr's and they are very nice, very forgiving as well, you may want to consider the xr pro's though as they are still forgiving and have a much better shaft IMO (the kbs tour v90). Still a decent amount of forgiveness.

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are pulling the trigger before Xmas it might be worth getting involved in the AG offer. Spend your £300 on a set of used & trade them in. Could bag a new set of current model clubs giving you the chance to try all options first. Big thread on here about the offer, its worth considering.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are pulling the trigger before Xmas it might be worth getting involved in the AG offer. Spend your £300 on a set of used & trade them in. Could bag a new set of current model clubs giving you the chance to try all options first. Big thread on here about the offer, its worth considering.

plus one for this option

I bagged a set of 712 cb titleists on ebay for like £180, should be able to get a set of callaway XRs for them which a friend of mine has got his eyes on.. I said as its him I let him have them for what I paid for them

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another set in the mix now after spending all last evening watching reviews. Nike Vapor Fly. :confused:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another set in the mix now after spending all last evening watching reviews. Nike Vapor Fly. :confused:

Id avoid nike like the plague. If I was investing in new clubs id want a company that isnt looking to end its club making.. what happens if something goes wrong with them?

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm going to have a set of Wilson Staff FG Tour M3's going up soon if interested, stiff shafts 4-PW. Will be after about £150, only 7 months old.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Two people I know who bought Nike Vapors hated them, one lad took them back after a week, both lost loads of distance and just thought they were crap.

Just goes to show the difference in opinion across the board. Appreciate your input.
http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...ke-Vapor-Fly-irons&highlight=nike+vapor+irons

Id avoid nike like the plague. If I was investing in new clubs id want a company that isnt looking to end its club making.. what happens if something goes wrong with them?

Appreciate your input as always. This wouldn't really be a factor to be honest as if there was a problem with the clubs it would be up to the retailer to rectify it, and if they couldn't, then refund.

I'm going to have a set of Wilson Staff FG Tour M3's going up soon if interested, stiff shafts 4-PW. Will be after about £150, only 7 months old.

Many thanks for the offer but Wilsons are not on my radar.