New Irons

Tobyamu

Hacker
Visit site
Hey, I'm looking for a new set of irons for around 300-400 and was wondering if any of you could recommend any sets. I'm currently a 16 handicapper and using Mcgregor DXs in steel and hit them really crisp, far and consistent, but I'm looking for some exciting new sticks to hit and hopefully cut my handicap even more.

Thanks in advance

Tobyamu

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Get yourself down to your nearest pro and try out whatever takes your fancy mate, I could tell you to buy a set of second hand titleists or TM's which I could hit sweetly all day but you couldnt stand the noise/feel/flight etc.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
As Brendy says recommendations are meaningless. Not one of the well known manufacturers and very very few of the smaller ones make anything other than really good irons these days.

they're nearly all made in the same factories with the same components. The only important thing is whether YOU like them and can hit them.

Get to a pro shop or range where you can hit balls properly and see the ball-flight. Avoid golf superstores where the goal of the staff is to sell you anything they fancy rather than what you need.

Even if this means taking your time and traveling it's worth it if you're going to spend 3-400 quid.

Also pick something that you'll be able to hit on your worst days, not your best :)

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day: If it looks good, feels good then it is good

I personnaly don't like the look of Ping, though Ping generally are the exception to the looks good part of my rule as a mate of mine was wanting to sell his old pings & was trying desperately to sell them to anyone & everyone even had me hitting balls on the range with them. Hated the look of them not to mention the awfull offset of them. But I'll admit in use didn't feel too bad & went well enough. But I didn't want them & no amount of balls down the range was getting me to buy something I didn't like.

The only Pings that look even slightly nice if slightly military looking are the S58 irons. If I tried these & got on with them then I might be tempted, however with Ping irons generally being £90 per club its £900 - £990 a set at most places. You also need to be wary of online fakes, even from supposedly reputable dealers as Ping now only deal through club Pro-shops. So anything available for £400 will probably be fake.

So get yourself down to your local reputable golf emporium or golf pro-shop & start trying out clubs.

I use Yonex C280 irons which I like. (Not keen on any of the rest of their current range of irons btw) The bounce on the SW is now a bit too high for my swing so may look to update my irons in 2010 when the new groove regulations officially come in to force for the manufacturers.

Irons that have been tempting me recently have been all the WilsonStaff irons (but not Wilson) the Cleveland CG Red irons. Many of the Snake eyes irons. I've even been suprized by some of the New Nike irons, the ones that look like the Titleist irons that I also like as well. But that's just for me of course. There are other irons I like the look of but that's just a selection.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I currently own a set of Titleits irons, after having these babies my game came on hugely. Maybe it is a psychological thing but having had what I think is the best, I cant see myself using anything other than Titleist in the future.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey, I'm looking for a new set of irons for around 300-400 and was wondering if any of you could recommend any sets. I'm currently a 16 handicapper and using Mcgregor DXs in steel and hit them really crisp, far and consistent, but I'm looking for some exciting new sticks to hit and hopefully cut my handicap even more.

Thanks in advance

Tobyamu

I know these clubs.....they are fine.

If you are hitting them far and consistent, why change?

Spend the money on lessons and practice.....

I changed from a 1993 set (bent and unforgiving) to a 2005 set of irons. I hit the new ones further (one club), sweeter (better flight) and a touch straighter.
IF I play some good rounds, it's not the irons that help me, it's the short game.

A new set of irons isn't going to improve your GIR or h'cap, unless you are playing with a set of old hopeless kit.

BUY a new set if you want them or have the cash, or would enjoy your game more with some nice new shiny kit.

Sorry.....but it's true. :)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Incidentaly.....when I did finaly make up my mind to buy new irons, I tried all sorts of expensive new-range kit and also some 1-2 seasons old models. I found there was so little in it, I just went for what felt good to me (a bit like Cernunnos says) and the set I got were £149. These models are currently on golfbidder at £250 second hand.
Certain places will try hard to sell certain brands. I had to try really hard to persuade DG to let me try the stiff shafted graphite Macgregors after the regulars were far too flexible. They were keen for me to test out Adams....I suppose I bit like AG and Nicklaus.
You might find a set of old model (but new/unused) Mizunos or Titleist or TM or Callaway for well under £300.