New Irons, what to get?

Mackam

Visit site
Hello I am new to this site and I am in the process of looking into getting some new irons.

I have upto £450 for a set I am a high handicap player and not that good. I have seen some Benross Veloct Combo irons which are mentioned in Golf Monthly mag and sounded good for me and they are a lot less than I was going to pay. Just wondered if anyone had them and liked/hated them?

Or any others I should consider?

The Benross were only £265 and also got a free rescue with it. :D

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
As a lover of Mizuno irons I would look to them first they have updated some models recently - so it possible to get a good deal on the MX 100, MX 25 or MX 17s

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depending on your level of play, may also wan to look at the 2009 MD Superstrong irons. I have tried these and am tempted. Comes with combination to hybrids and irons.

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wilson Di7's are an iron I am have a close look at, also in the mix are the Mizuno Mx100's.

These are both good clubs for high handicapers ans both worth a look IMO.

Mackam

Visit site
Cheers for advice, looking at MX100 and they look a nice club, might have to go for that. I thought about Mizuno beofre but was not sure if they were any good.

I am fairly new to golf so need something forgiving and also graphite as the steel shafts seem to cause my arm problems!!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wilson Staff Di7 will be great for you and you can get them at a great price online.

Unless you not an "average" size or shape dont worry about custom fitting.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Cheers for advice, looking at MX100 and they look a nice club, might have to go for that. I thought about Mizuno beofre but was not sure if they were any good.

I am fairly new to golf so need something forgiving and also graphite as the steel shafts seem to cause my arm problems!!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

'Not sure if Mizuno are any good?' Probably the best irons in the world!! :D

If you wish to save a little more, the MX19s, which are the predessor to the MX100s, are very good. And almost half the price.

Is your budget for irons only, or for putter, bag, balls, etc?

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Mx 19's get my vote my girlfriend uses them so i had plenty of goes and they work great

She got them brand new from AG FOR £220 3-SW Reg graphite shafts.for the price they cannot be beaten

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty of good quality kit available from all the high end manufacturers at the lower end of their catalogues.

I'd strongly suggest looking at the new range of MD though.

Cobra & Cleveland are doing some nice clubs. Yonex are always worth a look, especially some of Yonex's ex-catalogue offerings from 2007 or even 2008.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can you tell us a bit more about your game. How often do you play, what handicap do you play off and what are your strong and weak points.

There are a myriad of clubs on the market and Mizuno are amongst the best. Even their basic cast model is a very good club but it would pay to go out with an open mind and try as many as you can. Have a look on somewhere like the AG website as they tend to have demo days from the major manufacturers so you can go along and try their latest offerings and get some advice on the best club to suit your game.

My feeling is that as a high handicapper you may benefit from the help of a cavity back but they aren't to everyones taste. MD golf do some decent sets well within your budget, but if you look around a lot of online and golf stores are doing great deals on 08 models to make room for this years range. To be honest there won't be a huge change int he technology involved so providing you aren't a "must have the latest gear" type of guy you should get a decent deal.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get the veloCT set......do it!

Don't lark around with full sets of Mizuno or Wilson (although I'd normally recommend Mx-19 or Di7).

Get the 5-SW Benross and add a 20 or 21 degree rescue to it.

Bob is your uncle....

Otherwise, head down to AG or DG or your local range and pick up a second hand set of forgiving improver irons.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like the Di7 iron and would happily use this iron.

Having hit a few and seen some folks using them, I'm not convinced they are quite as "improver" as one might think.

Is it just me?

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
I got a set of new MX-19s for £220 (3i to SW) and they are very good for that sort of money. I am not intending to upgrade them for a long time.
Haveyou looked on Golfbidder.com? There are some reasonably priced 2nd hand sets on there if you don't want to splash too much. They occasionally have new sets on there too.

Mackam

Visit site
Cheers for all the advice, I am not the type who must have the latest tech which is why I waited till now as I thought the 09 models would be out so 07 and 08 would have come down. That budget is for just the irons, I have recently bought putter, driver and rescue new now want to upgrade my cheap and rather poor irons.

I play about once a week and have shall we say high handicap (the highest!!) as I am still learning. I have struggled with my irons to get the lift so will look at the MD range wither the MX100 or the MX-19's if there is not much difference then cost could help as nobody wants to throw money away!!

I had lessons and am now going through practicing what I learnt but the pro did say to me he would struggle with those irons so thought I should invest in some decent ones to give me some chance!!

nicky

Hacker
Visit site
i am also a high handicapper, and would thoroughly reccommend mizuno (i use mx 23s) mx100s for beginning, also worth a look for suberb forgiveness and ease of use are the nike sumo range, however the nikes look a little fisher price for my liking. mizuno mx 100 or mx 17 would be ideal however for now and through advancement, plus the look good aswell, not too tacky.