New irons - do GI, SGI make much difference

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
So, I’ve been thinking for a while about some new irons.

To be fair, these are a treat. I have no need at all of new irons, but…

First thing, I don’t expect them to make me play better. I’m pretty much of the attitude a good swing is a good swing and a bad swing…

But, I do play with Wilson Launchpad 2 and hybrids from 6 onwards. They’re okay, I’m not sure they help with improvement though just because of the way they interact with the turf.

I play to about 13, aiming for single figures. My official handicap is 19 but ive not played a competitive round in over 2 years. I play for fun, exercise and predominantly because I just love been out in the fresh air.

Anyway, I was thinking I’d like some TaylorMade P790’s. Until, I went in the shop and looking in his iron fitting bag. Now, I really like the the look of the P7-CB and the P770’s. But, I’m not sure looks are the best reason to buy golf clubs😂😂😂. But I was thinking perhaps 8-PW P7CB, 5-7 P770.

I’m sure he’ll let me a good bash with his demo 7 irons and he’ll probably recommend a shaft for me. I’m not a fast swinger 7iron average about 78mph.

My question is - how difficult will those things be to hit? I don’t expect to play better, but I do like to get around the course to at least a sensible sort of standard (usually).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think some people prefer those kind of irons. While GI irons probably are easier to hit, you do occasionally get the old sweet spot trampoline effect that puts you through the back of the green. If you get the slightly forgiving players irons (or however you'd describe them) the distance will be pretty consistent out of the middle of the face, but perhaps a little more drop-off from the toe and heel. It all depends how you strike them and what you're looking for I guess.

Personally I'm always going to stick with GI I think, because I get a lot of heely strikes and thin strikes, so that forgiveness is important to my game I would say. Like you, I'm not very fast either so the launch is beneficial too. I play a 5 hybrid and irons from 6 iron down.

sjw

Visit site
I've recently picked up some Nike VR Pros from circa 2013, coming from TM Stealth irons, and the biggest challenge for me is working out new distances. Not all bladed irons are that unforgiving and I don't think you'll see as much difference as you think

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get some blades. The ultimate game improvement club.

Added benefit that when new blades come out, you won't be tempted to replace as they are all just forged from a single piece of material, and can't do much with 'tech' bar some moving about with the mass of the club. Don't even need to spend a lot of money on them, as there are loads of sites selling second hand for really good money, and usually have a 30 day money back if you don't get on with them (as long as you haven't destroyed them in that time!)

Christopher192

Visit site
P7-CB and P770 are great but they’re a bit more demanding if you enjoy playing for fun and have a good swing,it might be okay but don’t expect miracles if those clubs are more technical

Christopher :)

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've recently picked up some Nike VR Pros from circa 2013, coming from TM Stealth irons, and the biggest challenge for me is working out new distances. Not all bladed irons are that unforgiving and I don't think you'll see as much difference as you think
Out of interest, what was the issue with the TM Stealth irons ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
TaylorMade describe the P790 as being Mid to High forgiveness, the P-770 as Mid forgiveness and the P-7CB as being Low to Mid forgiveness.
So the one with the perimeter weighting looks is not the most forgiving?

TM irons sets.jpg

As for looks, I tend to look at the face of the club, as that is what hits the ball, and consider the backs as just-for-show.
Obviously, it is at the back where you will see evidence of perimeter weighting etc. but much of what you see is cosmetic.
The 5 sets above - I have no particular preference in terms of looks. Fairly sure I could play equally well or badly with any of them.
The only TaylorMade club I have ever owned was the R360 driver that became illegal. Loved it.

sjw

Visit site
Out of interest, what was the issue with the TM Stealth irons ?
No issue whatsoever. I bought a VR Pro 3 iron for practicing at the range and really liked it, so kept an eye out for sets on ebay. Got some for a bargain price and I just love them.

I still have the Stealths - unsure what to do with them at the moment. If I decide to get a new driver then I might sell them to fund it. Too much money to just be sat around doing nothing.

Everything about the Nikes, from the way they look in the bag, the way they feel, the way they sit behind the ball, is just lovely. And the lofts are weaker, so they don't go as far as the Stealths. This seems to be a benefit, at least at the moment, as I'm not chasing distance, not trying to play catch-up with other players, and I'm not going to look to new clubs in the hope they go two yards further. They've shown me that the number on the bottom of the club means naff all, really, and forces me to focus on strike.

I'm currently in the middle of customising them; new grips and paint fill done, new ferrules are next. I'll post pics when I'm done.

RichA

Visit site

First thing, I don’t expect them to make me play better. I’m pretty much of the attitude a good swing is a good swing and a bad swing…

But, I do play with Wilson Launchpad 2 and hybrids from 6 onwards. They’re okay, I’m not sure they help with improvement though just because of the way they interact with the turf.

I play to about 13, aiming for single figures. My official handicap is 19 but ive not played a competitive round in over 2 years. I play for fun, exercise and predominantly because I just love been out in the fresh air.

Anyway, I was thinking I’d like some TaylorMade P790’s. Until, I went in the shop and looking in his iron fitting bag. Now, I really like the the look of the P7-CB and the P770’s. But, I’m not sure looks are the best reason to buy golf clubs😂😂😂. But I was thinking perhaps 8-PW P7CB, 5-7 P770.

I’m sure he’ll let me a good bash with his demo 7 irons and he’ll probably recommend a shaft for me. I’m not a fast swinger 7iron average about 78mph.

My question is - how difficult will those things be to hit? I don’t expect to play better, but I do like to get around the course to at least a sensible sort of standard (usually).
I had some GI Ping G425 irons. They were fine but I got bored of just bludgeoning them miles and getting caught up in the race to hit a 200 yard 7-iron. I also feel GI irons have too much bounce and too wide soles for me. I like the club to dig a bit.
I sold them and bought 20-year old Mizuno MP-60 forged CB irons. They are lovely. They make me smile. I don't care what anybody else says, you can feel the difference; it's not just sound.
I still have the MP-60s but bought a set of Mizuno JPX-921 Tour forged blades/shallow cavities. They are also lovely and pretty much like a modern version of the MP-60s.
I no longer hanker after new irons.
The blades/forged CBs are no less playable than the GI irons to me. And my irons now have ~10 yard gaps rather than 15.
I'm a steady mid-handicap hacker. The one time I broke 80 was using the MP-60s.

If you play golf purely for pleasure you should go for whatever pleases you. I can see why GI are good for much older or much higher HI players but slightly more bladey irons really aren't that hard to live with.
The P770s look really nice and according to the Maltby numbers they're pretty forgiving anyway.

Nearly forgot - I also had a set of P790s briefly. They were closer to the Pings than the Mizunos - built for bludgeoning.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
200 yard 7 iron, never seen that in my life except in a gale or on TV.

To the OP, game improvement irons like games g425 are great, I’ve been as low as 3.5 with those clubs.

Anything more chunky might make it difficult to improve your chipping.

RichA

Visit site

To the OP, game improvement irons like games g425 are great, I’ve been as low as 3.5 with those clubs.

Yeah. I wasn't suggesting that I've ever been close to carrying a 7i 200 yards. It's a sort of reference point for some YT golfers when they test GI irons and I was nodding towards that.
But I was getting caught up in deadly boring contests with friends who were using similar GI irons where progress, ability and enjoyment seemed to be measured by how far you hit your clubs. I'm happy to have checked out of those conversations.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I once hit a 230 yard 7 iron (todays equivalent 8 iron) but it was in near gale force winds. Not only did I clear the green, I cleared the course boundary and landed on the pro shop roof which brought the pro running out to see what had happened.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site

Unfortunately, an internet inquiry is not a great way to get your question answered.
If you don't wish to deal with the significant expense of a fitting,
and that's perfectly understandable,
play what you think you'll enjoy playing.
Like myself, you're not likely to have your name engraved on the Claret Jug anyway.
No need to stress.