New irons - Cure my Cynicism

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Why not go for a full session on something like GC2 Flightscope thingy. Spend a lump of time getting the stats for your current set and then spend a lump getting the stats for your preferred options. If the numbers for a new set are better than your current set by a number you're happy with, e.g. a 10% improvement, the question is answered.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've still got my Staff FF 2 -SW....they are a good reminder of those days!

I've no doubt you have many friends whose clubs you could try if you did decide to make the move to more accomadating irons and that establishing a reasonably fit wouldn't leave you having to work too hard to get them working for you.

Ps you can get a kilt taken out quite a bit...mines currently way to big for me

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'll add one little note. If you bother doing the arithmetic you'll find I have a significant birthday this year - and my family think I should get a new kilt plus another jacket. Let's just say my 27yr old wedding kilt now fits my son rather better than it does me.

And there we have the £1000

Always good to have a milestone birthday, I have the same juggle with new clubs as mine are about 10 yrs and I mainly don't buy as I'm tight and play too little golf. That being said, I think I would see a change with new tech on distances and forgiveness.

As an aside, are you suggesting the other option is a kilt and jacket for £1,000 for your 50th as that's how I read it. I'm assuming that's me reading it wrong, but if not golf clubs all day long! :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny that I've still got a set of JL F7s heads. I bought myself some Mizuno 900 tour last year. I have asked myself since why did I not simply reshaft the F7s.

I would expect you to see more forgiveness with mi***** from the Pings and if you are fit for the correct shaft maybe a bit more length (from the same loft club).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Or, am I holding myself back and giving an unfair advantage to opponents and the course by not fully benefitting from modern technology. ;)

I'd say the opposite in fact, he'll be gaining a temporary unfair advantage with the new gear, that is until his handicap has adjusted to the assistance he's getting from the clubs but once his handicap has leveled out he'll have no advantage over opponents.
:fore:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with you in that you could pick up most make of clubs and they would be perfectly good for you, forget the hype there is not a great deal of differance with most makes of clubs.

I had a milestone birthday and my children treated me to a round at Trump Aberdeen which I played with my son, something special that day,rather than spending so much on a bunch of iron I would buy a decent second hand set and splash out playing a top 10 course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It sounds to me from your posts that you adjust your natural swing to accommodate a set of 10yr old irons Why?

You can obviously play so get some irons that don’t need these accommodations and you may get cat1 .

You are only here once so if you have the cash , and play enough to justify new clubs do it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The bottom line is until you try them and see how they work for your swing it's all hypothetical. The information in reviews are useful up to a point but until you've hit them and seen flight and dispersion and distances you'll never know. Plenty of decent deals on second hand I200's depending on what your fit (coloured dot) is so it wouldn't have to be that expensive.

If the Ping's don't work, as an assistant he'll be able to point you in the direction of other makes but why not try two or three including the Ping and just see what works. Sounds like a free go at hitting newer clubs with no obligation and so why not cast the cynicism aside and go in with an open mind

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
New irons and a GPS.... SILH as been kidnapped and replaced aliens... next he will be posting he doesn't care where you stand:rofl::rofl:

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd say the opposite in fact, he'll be gaining a temporary unfair advantage with the new gear, that is until his handicap has adjusted to the assistance he's getting from the clubs but once his handicap has leveled out he'll have no advantage over opponents.
:fore:
Ha Ha, nice reply, so we agree new clubs will see him improve to the new leveled out lower handicap. :thup:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ha Ha, nice reply, so we agree new clubs will see him improve to the new leveled out lower handicap. :thup:

Definitely, there's no argument that modern technology helps you to score lower, just to what degree is open to discussion.

People look at me like I'm an idiot (they probably know something I don't) when I say that I'm happier playing just old gear which I admit will see me scoring less than if I succumbed to the latest technology but, as I've said before, my skill level as a golfer won't change whatever the club I'm swinging.

I get more pleasure from putting a decent round together with older clubs knowing that they've not masked some of my own shortcomings as a golfer.

D

Deleted member 16999

Definitely, there's no argument that modern technology helps you to score lower, just to what degree is open to discussion.

People look at me like I'm an idiot (they probably know something I don't) when I say that I'm happier playing just old gear which I admit will see me scoring less than if I succumbed to the latest technology but, as I've said before, my skill level as a golfer won't change whatever the club I'm swinging.

I get more pleasure from putting a decent round together with older clubs knowing that they've not masked some of my own shortcomings as a golfer.
Nothing but admiration for your passion and determination to go old school.

Next month is 100th anniversary of the death of Michael Moran, first Irishman to win money in The Open, won the Irish PGA 5 times and the Irish PGA still play for the Moran Cup.

He was our Pro when he enlisted in to the Army in 1915, some of the ideas to commemorate his death is to hold a comp using old clubs and it’s proving to be one of the most popular ideas.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
New irons and a GPS.... SILH as been kidnapped and replaced aliens... next he will be posting he doesn't care where you stand:rofl::rofl:

I was only looking at a Garmin S40 thingy as it was on a deal through our pro - but nah - not quite but nearly.

And what was most appropriate place to stand whilst others tee off remains as it always has been and nothing need make that change - HNSP rules OK :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I resist technology and prefer self-improvement - as I said - I get clubs - and then I learn to play them. What I've always done and it's done me OK. I admit thouh that I have succumbed to modern technology in that I have a metal driver and a putter with an inset face - and I use premium balls when I find them ;)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Just treat yourself to shinys! Everybody knows you play better with new irons. The placebo effect is stronger than the lofts on your clubs!

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nothing but admiration for your passion and determination to go old school.

Next month is 100th anniversary of the death of Michael Moran, first Irishman to win money in The Open, won the Irish PGA 5 times and the Irish PGA still play for the Moran Cup.

He was our Pro when he enlisted in to the Army in 1915, some of the ideas to commemorate his death is to hold a comp using old clubs and it’s proving to be one of the most popular ideas.

Just looked him up, an impressive playing career.

Good idea on the old clubs, if you wanted to play clubs of that date it would be the hickory era.
There are several companies hiring hickory sets for club anniversaries and similar, three such are linked below.
http://www.vipcorporateandsocietygolfdays.co.uk/contact-us.html
http://hickorygolf.co.uk/hickory-golf-club-rental/
http://www.hickorygolfnorth.co.uk/

D

Deleted member 16999

Just looked him up, an impressive playing career.

Good idea on the old clubs, if you wanted to play clubs of that date it would be the hickory era.
There are several companies hiring hickory sets for club anniversaries and similar, three such are linked below.
http://www.vipcorporateandsocietygolfdays.co.uk/contact-us.html
http://hickorygolf.co.uk/hickory-golf-club-rental/
http://www.hickorygolfnorth.co.uk/

Thanks for the links, much appreciatted.

Impressive bloke, apparently he was the Rory of his day.

Cols_Ears

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, fittings are free at AG. You don't even have to pay attention to what their fitter says if you don't want to, it's just a good way to try out some new irons and see if they feel better than your old ones.
In my experience there is a reason for that...

If you want my opinion (as you asked :)) buying a £300 2nd hand set if you don't know what specs you are after is a complete waste. Fitting is invaluable and if you have the money to spend and are happy doing it I'm sure you'll find it's money well spent if you keep them for the next 10 years.