New handicap.

Jason.H

Visit site
Hi sorry about this late update. My handicap is 16.3. Today I played in my 1st comp. I signed in to the computer at the club before the round and it said 16.3 handicap, but then said I have 17. Whilst I had a bad day I still scored 37 points (9 in the last 3 holes). The guys I played with named me Bandito. Having stopped playing in 2007 and not touching a golf club till begining of November I think I’ve done ok. I’m hoping to get back down to 5 by this time next year. Wish me luck.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Find out what the Standard Scratch Score is and subtract that from your best score.
So if the SSS is 69, take that off your 89 so your handicap will be 20.
Easy

What do you mean it's changed, what could be simpler?
Playing off scratch! (aka no handicap)!
But luddites still exist/harp back to 'the old ways'!
WHS is here to stay - even if the 'W' isn't quite appropriate! It works better than the old Congu system did imo.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi sorry about this late update. My handicap is 16.3. Today I played in my 1st comp. I signed in to the computer at the club before the round and it said 16.3 handicap, but then said I have 17. Whilst I had a bad day I still scored 37 points (9 in the last 3 holes). The guys I played with named me Bandito. Having stopped playing in 2007 and not touching a golf club till begining of November I think I’ve done ok. I’m hoping to get back down to 5 by this time next year. Wish me luck.
37 pts isn’t bandit country…it’s pretty much playing to your ability. Note that under the old system 37pts WAS verging upon bandit country…but not under WHS.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

AS per SwingsitlikeHogan 37 points may even be playing to worse than your handicap. Pre WHS 38 points was playing to your handicap off the yellows where I play and it is now 37 points.

You need to compare the rounded course rating to the par as gauge as to whether or not you played to handicap

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
AS per SwingsitlikeHogan 37 points may even be playing to worse than your handicap. Pre WHS 38 points was playing to your handicap off the yellows where I play and it is now 37 points.

You need to compare the rounded course rating to the par as gauge as to whether or not you played to handicap
The post you quoted would indicate that had already been done 16.3 off whichever tees at Slope/113 etc produced Playing Handicap of 17.
@Jason.H....Things, relating to handicaps, have changed considerably since the Congu system was replaced a couple of years ago by WHS - though it's still settling down for many folk!

Last edited:

Jason.H

Visit site
Well done, keep them coming. As you enter more scores, your handicap will settle and the movements will get smaller.
Thanks, my last 4 general play rounds have all been in the 70,s. The last was a 71 (par70] One pulled drive on a long par 4 but lucky to find it bounced out onto the fairway. I believe my new course to be quite forgiving compared to the club I was a member at in the 2000,s ie wider fairways and less hazards ect. Maybe the course owes me as I repair a good few pitch marks on every green!

Jason.H

Visit site
Hi guys a little update. So having got my initial handicap of 16.3 in November, I have played 5 stablefords and now play of 8.5. I am so pleased with my progress and whilst I initially wanted to set my sights on a 5 handicap by the end of 2022 I’m hoping to be well below that.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi guys a little update. So having got my initial handicap of 16.3 in November, I have played 5 stablefords and now play of 8.5. I am so pleased with my progress and whilst I initially wanted to set my sights on a 5 handicap by the end of 2022 I’m hoping to be well below that.
Great progress! Those guys were right to assign 'Bandito' to you!(y)

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Getting to single figures so quickly after a 13 year break is great work. What was your handicap before you stopped playing?

Jason.H

Visit site
Getting to single figures so quickly after a 13 year break is great work. What was your handicap before you stopped playing?
Hi when I stopped playing my handicap was around 7.5\8. I had been down to 5 at one point but I changed irons to TaylorMade RAC blades and I was never as good as i was with the mp 30 Mizuno. That’s one reason why I bought Mizuno jpx921 forged in November when I started back.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi when I stopped playing my handicap was around 7.5\8. I had been down to 5 at one point but I changed irons to TaylorMade RAC blades and I was never as good as i was with the mp 30 Mizuno. That’s one reason why I bought Mizuno jpx921 forged in November when I started back.
MP30s rank as one of Mizuno's 'classic greats' imo. Also got me from mid-teens to 7. As it happens, I played TM RACs (perhapsa combo set) for a short time too, when I got the bug for blades, but they did require another level of strike quality so quickly moved on. Coin Forgeds were better, but they got moved to pay for some Miura CBs. Those days were fun, but can't afford to dabble like that now.
Well done on getting back down so quickly. Those PPs was right with their 'bandito' comment - at least for short while!

Jason.H

Visit site
Yes you can’t be a bandit for long. My TaylorMade,s were coin forged and the slightest off centre hit would lose distance whereas with my Mizuno,s are quite forgiving. I can hit a few balls into a green and they will be within 5 yards distance wise with a 7 iron.

Jason.H

Visit site
I thought I,d update as I’ve been putting a lot of time into my golf and it’s finally coming together. Ive been regularly scoring mid 70,s (Par 70) during practice rounds. Midweek medal today off the white/back tees and put a decent round together. Start of play was HI 7.7 and scored 72, net 63. Really pleased with myself as I had a wobble on the back 9 but played sensibly where needed. A few good cards had gone from me so today makes it more rewarding.

Jason.H

Visit site
Was hoping for a 5 handicap by the end of the year but I’m already at 5.4. I notice it’s getting tougher. I know I’ll hit some walls from here onwards.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was hoping for a 5 handicap by the end of the year but I’m already at 5.4. I notice it’s getting tougher. I know I’ll hit some walls from here onwards.
6 months ago 16.3...today 5.4 - that's quite some going...top stuff (y)

(note - makes my attempts over the last 9 months to reduce my HI feel rather feeble as I've only got it down from 10.9 to 8.6 :rolleyes:)

Jason.H

Visit site
6 months ago 16.3...today 5.4 - that's quite some going...top stuff (y)

(note - makes my attempts over the last 9 months to reduce my HI feel rather feeble as I've only got it down from 10.9 to 8.6 :rolleyes:)
Thanks, and well done for knocking off over 2 shots. I’m at 5.0 now. Been trying to eek out a bit more distance which has made my scoring a bit more erratic. Nice to be hitting less club into greens but hit less fairways. New irons and wedges so far so good.