New handicap.

Jason.H

Visit site
Hi guys. I’ve recently started to play golf after 13 years away. I’ve done 3 cards marked by kind club members at my new club. Scores of 99, 93 and 89 and the course is a par 70. What would my handicap be based on these numbers?
Jason

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok that is of no use to my insufficient brain cells
You need the Course Rating, the Slope and your Gross Score (adjusted for net double bogeys) for each round in order to calculate your Differential. Then apply the following formula:

Score Differential = (113/Slope) x (Adjusted gross score - Course Rating - any Playing Conditions Calculation applying on the date played). Rounded to 1 dec place.

Then use the table in #2. The result is your Handicap Index

However you won't use that when playing. The formula for that is
Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope/113) [rounded to integer value]

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys. I’ve recently started to play golf after 13 years away. I’ve done 3 cards marked by kind club members at my new club. Scores of 99, 93 and 89 and the course is a par 70. What would my handicap be based on these numbers?
Jason

as already said.

Ignore the par it is totally irrelevant. Compare the score against the course rating.

D

Deleted member 3432

I would wait and see what you are given.

If you are returning to golf it may take a while to get your head round the crazy new world of course rating and slope never mind these complex calculations thrown at you.

Welcome back to the game.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Jason

Find out what the Standard Scratch Score is and subtract that from your best score.
So if the SSS is 69, take that off your 89 so your handicap will be 20.
Easy

What do you mean it's changed, what could be simpler?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Find out what the Standard Scratch Score is and subtract that from your best score.
Easy

You know things have changed, Bob.

SSS went to an early grave and it's all Course Ratings and Score Differentials now.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy
Not so simple but still pretty easy.
SSS a) was a whole number b) is now replaced by CR to 1 dec place.

Take the CR off the 89 to give XX (say). That will not be his handicap
Multiply the XX by 113/Slope and subtract 2.0 as Jason only has 3 scores. That will be his handicap (Index). (HI)

When playing on any course, take the HI and multiply by Slope/113. That will give the Course Handicap for that course specifically. That calculation is not normally needed as the information will be on a notice board near the 1st tee. Now that is easy.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Easy

It wasn't that simple pre-WHS; and hadn't been for quite some time.

Even without considering double-bogey adjustments (can't remember exactly when these came in, maybe with Stableford adjustments in 1997?), CONGU UHS introduced a multiplier of 1.13/1.237 (with the result truncated) for initial handicap allotments in 2016.

As such, under the old CONGU UHS, the initial handicap allotted would have been 18.0 (assuming no db adjustments were needed).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wasn't that simple pre-WHS; and hadn't been for quite some time.

Even without considering double-bogey adjustments (can't remember exactly when these came in, maybe with Stableford adjustments in 1997?), CONGU UHS introduced a multiplier of 1.13/1.237 (with the result truncated) for initial handicap allotments in 2016.

As such, under the old CONGU UHS, the initial handicap allotted would have been 18.0 (assuming no db adjustments were needed).

Even double bogey adjustments disappeared under the UHS before the WHS came in. DB adjustment went out when the Maximum handicap became 54. With DB the max new handicap would have been 36.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Jason, in a nutshell, if you told us the Course Rating and Slope of the course you played, then we could give you an answer as to what your Index may be (with the caveat of double par adjustments if you had any horrific holes). However, without those parameters from your course, we cannot tell you what Index you may have. Par is irrelevant, and the range of Course Ratings and Par are too high to be able to reasonably use guesswork.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
Quick question, recently joined a club (my first for twenty five years since I was a teenager) and have asked the pro if there’s anyone that can mark a few cards for me so I can get a handicap.

Currently I tend to score in the nineties. That does include the odd crazy hole where I score a stupidly high score. Was reading up on the whs and I think I’m right in saying the adjusted gross score limits it at 5 over for any individual hole until you get a handicap and then it’s two strokes plus handicap.

Does that apply as soon as you put the first three cards in to get the first handicap or when you have got to submitting twenty cards? Just curious, I don’t think it actually makes much difference but I can have rounds that are mainly bogeys and a few pars and then a random eight or two for example!

Swango1980

Visit site
Quick question, recently joined a club (my first for twenty five years since I was a teenager) and have asked the pro if there’s anyone that can mark a few cards for me so I can get a handicap.

Currently I tend to score in the nineties. That does include the odd crazy hole where I score a stupidly high score. Was reading up on the whs and I think I’m right in saying the adjusted gross score limits it at 5 over for any individual hole until you get a handicap and then it’s two strokes plus handicap.

Does that apply as soon as you put the first three cards in to get the first handicap or when you have got to submitting twenty cards? Just curious, I don’t think it actually makes much difference but I can have rounds that are mainly bogeys and a few pars and then a random eight or two for example!
Once you have a handicap, any bad hole is rounded down to nett double bogey.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You get your handicap after submitting 3 cards and once you have a handicap the score of handicap plus 2 strokes applies (as per swango normally known as nett double bogey i.e. the lowest score where you would get zero points in a stableford comp)

20 scores is when your handicap is based upon the best 8

until then see the table in post #2

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
Thanks both, thought that was the case. There’s part of me thinking surely it should be for the 20 to get a more accurate reflection of a starting handicap before adjustments are limited, but then I suppose that would be allowing those blow out holes to have too much influence.