New Golfer Questions

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

I have been playing golf for about 4 months now and can't get enough. I start with a set of clubs i borrowed from my brother in law, but as i start to enjoy it more i thought i should buy my own set. Settled on a set of Bruner Superlaunch Steel Irons and a Bruner 09 Driver. Not sure if this was a good buy or not i am getting on great with the iron but the Driver I have a really bad slice with it. Not sure if the equipment is the best for me

I have also started to have lesson we are now on position and swing path which seems to be making my game worse.

I'm not sure wether to look into changing my driver and lose the lesson or not?

Just wondering if this happens to other people?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ask your pro if the driver is suited to you.
I suspect it's the swing that's not quite right, rather than the driver.
Stick with the lessons would be my advice
Welcome to the forum btw :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with our wise old sage. Let the pro have a look at you hitting a few drives and he'll be able to advise you accordingly. Don't forget its all new to you yet and it will take time to improve. Be patient, practice what you've been shown and enjoy.

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you for the post. I will talk to my pro and see if he can sort it out.

Just seems the lesson are making worse not better is this normal or is it a case of it having to get worse before it gets better

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
fraid so, a lot of what you need to do will feel unnatural and awkward - mostly because it is.

they tell me it wears off after a while and after a few thousand balls you'll wonder what the problem was - then you'll do it again!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is normal to take one step forward and two back. I did a lot of work on my swing last winter and down the range it was going great. Put me in a competition and it all went to pot. It takes time to build something that repeats and more importantly you can trust. If you are really struggling with the driver, don't sell it but keep it but invest in a 3 wood for the time being

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was thinking that just not sure what 3 wood to invest in. need one thats forgivening i guess. i have a mag (not golf monthly) which has a list of them and Ping G15 came out on top is this a good one for me.

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
I was thinking that just not sure what 3 wood to invest in. need one thats forgivening i guess. i have a mag (not golf monthly) which has a list of them and Ping G15 came out on top is this a good one for me.
Nobody can tell you that (we know nothing about you or your game), you have to hit a bunch of different clubs and decide which one is best for you.

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have another question i have played with a couple of people in work (one is off ten and one plays off 22) is it correct that the highest handicap you can have is 28?

dont seem near 28 handicap at the moment. played stapleford format and got a score of 19. what is a good score in stapleford to be playing to your handicap

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Playing to your handicap in staBleford is 36 points, and yes, for men, 28 is the maximum handicap unless you live in Turkey, where you can go up to 50.

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
I have another question i have played with a couple of people in work (one is off ten and one plays off 22) is it correct that the highest handicap you can have is 28?

dont seem near 28 handicap at the moment. played stapleford format and got a score of 19. what is a good score in stapleford to be playing to your handicap

It's quite easy to work out, stableford awards two points for a par, therefore 18 holes would score (nett, ie after subtracting the shots awarded by your handicap) 36 points if played to par.

And yes in this country 28 is the maximum a chap can have, unless you wish to play in France or Germany or the like, where they're quite happy to give you anything up to 54. A French colleague of mine was overjoyed at shooting a nett 39 (that's shots, not points!) as he was still using a handicap of 45 (and it's a very short course, par 64 or something stupid)!

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Matt.I too am very new to golf,and the forum.My major problem is the inability to lift the ball in the air on the fairways.Have tried woods I am now trying irons (7,8).Its getting me really down,but my enthusiasm to play is very high.So I have finally succumbed into trying some lessons after my holidays in September.As far as driving goes I have just switched from the 10 fingered grip to the overlapping grip and the change for me has been great.I am now now getting the ball nicely in the air and reaching on average around the 180-200 mark.May not be much to some golfers but I am exstatic about it.Just so FRUSTRATED that I cant do this off the grass on the fairways.I have not put in for a handicap yet as dont have the confidence too,and dont think I could obtain even the 28 require mark.I tend to do scores around 110 mark now I am up and running with the driver but as said my fairway play ruins my game badly.Cheers Kev.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome Kev. It might not be how you meant it, but you don't have to 'lift' the ball into the air.
The idea is you use the same swing with all your irons, and the loft in the club gets the ball in the air.

If you watch slow-motion pictures of an iron hitting a ball it actually hits it on the way down. Don't think you have to do something to get the ball up, apart from making a good swing.