New Golfer Questions

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had this problem on all of my game I couldnt get the ball off the ground at all with any of my shots then someone told me to not try to lift the ball, just wack it (their words not mine)and let the club do the rest really helped me with my iron play and sometimes i can do some really nice shots.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
hello region.I should have put get the ball in the air rather than 'lift'.I just can hardly get the ball in the air on the fairways and it so disheartening and demoralizing.Although if the grass is elevated I can get in the air a bit then.I have not realized about the irons hitting the ball on the way down until you have said.Thats completely different then to driver play? when I try to play the shot 'on the up sweep',which seems to work.I will try to take heed of your advice....But maybe my problem is this,I know it sounds daft BUT I am currently using 2 different grips on the golf course!!!..I have been using 10 fingered baseball bat grip since I started in March but was sick of not getting the ball airborne with the driver that on the driving range I tried the OVERLAPPING grip and the improvement has been great.That was only 2 weeks ago.BUT I have mentally not been able to try the overlapping grip on the course for my fairway shots and have stuck to 10 fingered and if anything have become worse.I havent been to the range to try this grip on my irons/wedges yet.I feel stupid telling people this situation but want to be honest.Cheers.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Matt.My previous post is showing some of my problems.I shall have a go at just 'whacking' the ball next time on the range or maybe on the course even.Golf maybe such a struggle but I'm addicted to it.Just want to play it loads and loads but cannot due to time/commitments.Thanks Kev