New golf series on BBC Alba

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great scenery, I was lucky to play the Isle of Harris course a couple of years ago, absolutely stunning.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great scenery, I was lucky to play the Isle of Harris course a couple of years ago, absolutely stunning.
I cycled round Harris a couple of years ago, my b&b was just over the road. The old boy who ran it let me borrow some old clubs from the back of his garage and play one evening. A fabulous way to spend an evening.
There's a really rough and ready course on the back of colonsay which I've also borrowed some sticks and chopped around, but it wasn't quite as good.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, it’s a lovely bit of telly and recognise some local faces on it. With the first programme starting in Fife and my home courses I think I’m allowed to be biased towards enjoying it though. :D

Visit site
Yep, it’s a lovely bit of telly and recognise some local faces on it. With the first programme starting in Fife and my home courses I think I’m allowed to be biased towards enjoying it though. :D
Jimaroid, we have just played in Fife two weeks ago, namely, Ladybank, Scotscraig, Lundin Links and Crail. Any of those on your "like" list?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jimaroid, we have just played in Fife two weeks ago, namely, Ladybank, Scotscraig, Lundin Links and Crail. Any of those on your "like" list?

I’ve never played Ladybank but would like to, until then Scotscraig is the one I’ve enjoyed the most from that list and I do enjoy playing there occasionally. How did you find them all?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Had my interest as I used to know Laura Murray's family, her brother was mates with my son, and remember her dad starting to take his kids out to play golf at Alford. Enjoyed the bit about the kids program at the Balgove course and wish there was something similar in Carnoustie for my granddaughters when they get to the age where they could take part.

Visit site
I’ve never played Ladybank but would like to, until then Scotscraig is the one I’ve enjoyed the most from that list and I do enjoy playing there occasionally. How did you find them all?
You SHOULD play Ladybank!! It is a beautiful layout, similar to Woodhall Spa. My favourite course in Fife is Elie (Golf House). however, it has become a little pricey.
Of those four, the favourite course amongst our group (11 of us) was (surprisingly) Lundin Links, though Scotscraig and Ladybank were close behind. Crail came out as the least popular.
On the last day, we played at Baberton in Edinburgh. Lovely parkland course, which I would like to play again.
In fairness, we LOVE playing Fife, and surrounding areas, I reckon they are all good. Next year's Scottish Tour will be in East Lothian, there's a plethora of great courses there.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Looks like Durness on one of the photos?

I was there recently. I didn't have time to play 9, so I gave the lady a fiver to just play the 9th. What a cool hole :cool:

Birdied it too :p

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I was there recently. I didn't have time to play 9, so I gave the lady a fiver to just play the 9th. What a cool hole :cool:

You had better luck than me.
About 25 years ago when I went, it was late in the day/year with only a couple of hours of daylight left.
We had been walking and there had been only one car in the car park for 4/5 hours.
I was told that they only sold 18 hole tickets which were a tad expensive IMO.
A bit daft turning away money for nothing but their and my loss.

On reflection I was surprised I had my clubs in the car, generally never took them on hols.
I recall playing Gairloch so it must have been on that trip.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I played Durness twice on a glorious summer evening this June , spectacular 9 holes, first tee shot on the 9th went in the sea ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Last nights episode covered all the courses where my lad is studying, including a spot on UHI and his new campus at Dornoch. He joined Golspie last week as an additional course to his playing rights at Dornoch and Brora. Student membership is ridiculously cheap and he thinks it's better course than Brora. I was surprised at that as I think Brora is a top top course. Nice to see them all on the telly last night, especially as I'm heading back up there next weekend for a flying visit (literally). Flying up Saturday morning on sleazyjet to play a round at his new gaff on Saturday, and then up to Reay early doors Sunday for a round there, before flying back Sunday night.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Last nights episode covered all the courses where my lad is studying, including a spot on UHI and his new campus at Dornoch. He joined Golspie last week as an additional course to his playing rights at Dornoch and Brora. Student membership is ridiculously cheap and he thinks it's better course than Brora. I was surprised at that as I think Brora is a top top course. Nice to see them all on the telly last night, especially as I'm heading back up there next weekend for a flying visit (literally). Flying up Saturday morning on sleazyjet to play a round at his new gaff on Saturday, and then up to Reay early doors Sunday for a round there, before flying back Sunday night.
Golspie is my least fave of all the courses in the Dornoch area, some good holes but 4 if the last 5 are a real letdown with the two very parkland par 5 and the hole after the least. Par 3 is great then the last two again a bit of a let down

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Golspie is my least fave of all the courses in the Dornoch area, some good holes but 4 if the last 5 are a real letdown with the two very parkland par 5 and the hole after the least. Par 3 is great then the last two again a bit of a let down

I confess surprise because I love Brora, but Shin thinks Golspie is a better course. I'll let you know my thoughts next week ?

It may be an age thing Patrick?, all his uni mates pretty much dislike Tain, to the point he's not even going to try it.....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I confess surprise because I love Brora, but Shin thinks Golspie is a better course. I'll let you know my thoughts next week ?

It may be an age thing Patrick?, all his uni mates pretty much dislike Tain, to the point he's not even going to try it.....
Tain is my favourite by miles, tbh I enjoy it more than Dornoch. Its much easier now than it was when I first joined in 2006.

Interesting the Boys don't like it and prefer Golspie, no accounting for taste these youngsters?