New Drivers 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Do you think you will pick up this gain on the golf course?
I guess that will be the crux - I don’t expect to get that level of improvement but there will be some improvement even more so in dispersion with a touch more distance.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
15 yards average - just under 20 on the best Hit

With the M4 I was average 253 with the Sim it was at 278 - best hit with the M4 was 269
Which component of the strike produced the extra distance? Club head speed, smash, launch or spin?
I know you're a decent striker of the ball, so if we can assume a consistent swing, it would be interesting which factor lead to the biggest gains.

D

Deleted member 15344

Which component of the strike produced the extra distance? Club head speed, smash, launch or spin?
I know you're a decent striker of the ball, so if we can assume a consistent swing, it would be interesting which factor lead to the biggest gains.

Lower Spin and a touch more swing speed - my spin with m4 was around 2900 average , managed to bring it down to around 2500/2600 from what I remember, swing speed was up to around 104/5 from 100

Wolf

Visit site
Lower Spin and a touch more swing speed - my spin with m4 was around 2900 average , managed to bring it down to around 2500/2600 from what I remember, swing speed was up to around 104/5 from 100
I think that's an area TM have done superbly in, when I had my M5 fitted last year my spin numbers went down a similar amount to yours but with optimised launch and a slight increase in speed. It was literally night and day to my Cobra. Dispersion improved massively as well.. Money well spent.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Cobra - ugly , feels awful , sounds awful and didn’t really perform well

Feel is a funny old thing, that's exactly what it was like for me with the SiM. The Speedzone was a nicer hit for me, but the Xtreme was an even better hit, and the sound is great, but maybe that's down to the tinitus ringing in my ears :eek:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was on the simulator last night, and one of the guys turned up with the new Cobra. Not much of a surprise, as he buys around 5 new drivers a year.
From the top, which is the only view that matters, that is a very good looking, driver. He had the Hazrdus smoke shaft, which looked the biz too.

Performance wise, it was exactly the same as all of his other drivers.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was on the simulator last night, and one of the guys turned up with the new Cobra. Not much of a surprise, as he buys around 5 new drivers a year.
From the top, which is the only view that matters, that is a very good looking, driver. He had the Hazrdus smoke shaft, which looked the biz too.

Performance wise, it was exactly the same as all of his other drivers.

Does that surprise you? Certainly no surprise if he changes drivers regularly that there is no significant or indeed any increase from six months old technology!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Does that surprise you? Certainly no surprise if he changes drivers regularly that there is no significant or indeed any increase from six months old technology!

I have played with him for 20 years. I don't think either of us has gained anything in driver distance over the last 5 or 6 years, probably longer. I buy a driver every 18 months or so him, every few weeks.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If you struggled with spin on the M4, why were you not fit for an M3 which has the ability to move the weights forward in an attempt to cut spin?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The job of the marketing department is to make you buy the club.

The job of the engineering department is to make sure you don’t return it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well picked up the new Driver this week and it’s certainly the nicest looking driver I have had and performs very well

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Mizuno ST200? Like the look of it from a few review videos and will see if our pro has one to try as he stocks Mizuno.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Golf does not stress me.
It's appeal to me is fresh air and hanging with my old buds for a few hours on weekday mornings/afternoons.
I'm not minimizing that aspect as a major appeal, but many on golf forums such as this might not share it.
They're out to shoot a score, and their interest in equipment is based entirely and only on that.

My interest in equipment, on the other hand, is pretty much an interest of its own. I like to keep up with what's happening, and I have opinions cultivated not out of being an obsessive player but rather out of being being a gearhead and aesthetics critic. I like the kit and have interest in how it perfoms, but I'm not always looking for that extra yard. I don't need it. The other seniors aren't embarrassing me, bombing it past me, take my word for that.

Looking at those four new drivers, I see nothing that says___ I'm here to replace your "Original One."
For one thing, the Original One is pretty new in its own right.
For a man my age, I launch my ball pretty well with it.
Aesthetically, its clubhead size is a nice balance between the old and the new, and I'm comfortable addressing the ball with it.

I think that those four drivers above are nice looking clubs from a modern perspective, but I suspect all of them would add a few strokes onto my scorecard.
I envision nuclear holes, and while I've made my piece with bogies, my casual approach to golf is not sufficiently casual to abide nuclear holes.

Also, having begun with real, organic wood so many years ago, 460cc of hollow titanium is just a step too far me.