New driver .. Callaway

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Decided I needed a new driver, proper fitting session required.
But looking at the callaway product release schedule, I am thinking should I wait and pay top price for the latest as opposed to paying top price for something that may be replaced next March/April?
I could resort to my last strategy of just picking something off eBay for a discount, but I don’t know if that really is helping me.

Some guidance is required!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
trouble is if you wait for the next Callaway driver to come out, you will be disappointed when next "New one" comes out 3 weeks later:ROFLMAO:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've a Callaway XR16 driver which I really like and you can pick up at a decent price.
I don't believe there really is much difference nowadays year on year but getting fitted is a good option.
Interesting comparison of 5 years of Callaway drivers here.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, both comments are true ☹️, watched that video and xr came out really well. At the moment I have the 815 DD .. so I should get a yardage gain!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would have a fitting now with the latest, and make a note of the spec i.e. shaft/setting etc. Don't buy then have a fitting with new gear next year, I doubt they'll be much improvement. However the current range will then be cheaper as the latest range wil be launched. As you have already had a fitting you'll be able to get the right spec cheaper. 😉

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Epic is the oldest on the range, coming up 2 years since release so there should be a replacement of some sort in the offing..
It won't be cheap though....
By all accounts, Epic is still selling well so there may not be a replacement yet.
Apex CF16 irons are still going strong with no replacement announced yet...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting, they mention a 3mph ball speed increase over epic but I thought the rogue already achieved that

Imurg

Visit site
Rogue doesn't have the adjustability that Epic has.
That's why the two ranges have run alongside each other for the last year.
A 3mph increase with the adjustability will appeal to many.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how adjustable adjustability is, the jpx900 was good, but actually the angle of delivery or height on the face had a greater impact. I just cannot generate enough spin with it to make the avx ball work. Then it became apparent I don’t really get enough height overall irrespective of ball. So I fiddled and tweeked as much as possible, but the jpx yielded nothing of note. I went back to the 815, and that was an improvement in flight shape and height but it’s not that hot a face, the jpx is longer it just drops out the sky too fast, leaving fairway bunkers in play.
I took a punt on a 5 wood rogue with an ad di 6 shaft during the summer. Since using the avx ball I have been flying this out to 230yards and the dry turf has given me more. I have since managed to get the same shaft to try in my 815, but I am thinking a rogue will probably be the right combination.
Of course, I could be just kidding myself.

Imurg

Visit site
Biggest difference between 815 and Rogue willmbe on off centre hits.
Rogue is immense at keeping the ball speeds up.
Centre strikes? I don't think you'll find much more but the forgiveness of the Rogue is surprising