New clubs

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm planning on buying a completely new set of clubs within the next few weeks and I'm here to ask advice as to what I should begetting. I play off 22.....
I'm pretty much set on G5 irons, prob a 4-9 in irons and a hybrid 3.
Wedge wise I am completely stumped. Some people have said Cleveland are great for wedges but I've not got a clue as to how many, what loft or make i should be thinking of?
For my driver I'm hovering between the Nike Squared sumo and the G5 Driver again. what about a 3 wood?
And I recently bought a £30 hotblade putter but I'm open to changing that if i find something that i prefer, although mallet putters jut don't do it for me. Scotty Cameron has been whispered to me but I've never heard of this make.
As you can guess I'm not concerned in the slightest about matching clubs but any and all opinions/suggestions will be gratefully welcomed!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't argue with the Ping G5 irons. If you're looking for wedges they do 4 of them starting in 46 degree pitching wedge (mad..that used to be a 9 iron at most) through to 58 degrees lob wedge as standard with a 4 degree difference between each. That's what I'd look for so that you have a wedge you can play hitting a full shot between about 130 yards and 70 yards.

Scotty Cameron putters are Titleist. Tiger uses one, I think. Blade putters are more prone to wobble on off-centre putts so depends if you hit the sweet spot all the time.

Hope this helps

B

birdieman

This is like finding a needle in a haystack - you have a bewildering choice out there. I'd say for perimeter weighted clubs and a driver with a 460cc head. Irons - the callaways or pings are hard wearing so will last but are very pricey. Dont go just for the fashionable brands, you're paying for the name, especially on drivers. Try MacGregor, Yonex, Wilson etc all perfectly good. Make sure you know what shaft flex you need, this is essential for hitting it straight (too whippy and you'll be high left, too stiff you'll be right and low). Instead of buying new buy 2nd hand and regrip the clubs, they'll play like new and cost buttons. Dont look past the mallet putters, generally hold a line better for inexperienced putters. I play a futura (Scotty Cameron) and putt quite well with it, playing off 4. Odyssey 2 ball is a good choice too, it's the best selling putter in the world for a reason!

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Firstly why are you buying new clubs? I note you are a 22 handicapper and assuming you intend reducing this then a reward for attaining your target would be to buy new "game improving" clubs or a new driver etc. Secondly if you expect to improve your golf swing/speed in the next 12 months then take this into the equation, in particular with regards shafts. I agree that a good putter is a real investment; putting is the most uncomplicated of the swings therefore save as for feel you won't need to change for a good while; Odyssey’s are great for feel, not too expensive and will get you used to hitting from the sweet spot. Finally if you do go down the line of the G5s then go to Pings fitting centre and get fully measured up, it will pay dividends tenfold...

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
Mainly looking for a new set cause at 6'3" I think that the £100 clubs I got off the shelf are just too short for me and the lie etc is off as a consequence. The served me perfectly well when i first pickd them up but as my game improves and i am looking for every edge I think that i deserve (excuse?! lol) some new clubs. I am looking to be down to about a 15ish handicap by the end of the year and coupled wth some lessons I think I should be looking good.

B

birdieman

I pity you tall 'uns when it come to playing short irons. Watching someone 6'3" with a wedge in hand looks so awkward, may as well be swinging a chopstick!
You definitely need custom bulit clubs with prob an inch longer than standard shafts. Ping is a good idea, one of the best for a hassle free custom fit. If you've got the cash then buy new, it does one's psyche good to think you're playing with brand new shiny clubs. However the old insult "All the gear and no idea" way well be thrown your way if you top one off the first.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Custom fitting is definitely the way to go. Nothing worse than forking out £400 for a new set of clubs off the shelf only to find they’re not the ones suited to you.

As for longer shafts you may actually find you don’t need them. Isn’t the correct shaft length (if I vaguely remember rightly) dictated by the distance from your wrist to the ground, and not your actual height ?? You could be 7” foot tall but if you’ve got long arms to boot then standard length shafts may be all you need.

DHM.

ocha84

Visit site
I would agree with duck_hook_master. Custom fitting is the best way to find you the best suitable clubs. I would recommend you to visit a well reputed custom clubmaker (there is one in the de vere belfry and it is very popular too) to talk about your set make-up too.

One guy I know didn't know that he was much better of using offset drivers compared to conventional one until he was custom fitted.

custom fitting is also good because it won't blow a big fat hole in your bank account. You may be suited to playing Dynacraft irons. They are affordable yet customiseable and is very popular amongst custom clubmakers.

I have also benefited from custom clubmaking.

good luck.