new clubs

Visit site
Ive been playing for about 18 months and seem to have hit a bit of a wall. Sometimes i play really well and other times its like ive never played before. I was wondering if new clubs would help. My current clubs are really cheap Dunlops that have served me well but maybe now is the time to upgrade. I would spend around £200 so was thinking about either Cobra SZ's, Nike ignite's or maybe i could stretch to the Mizuno MX 100's. Any advice would be great thanks.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Keep the irons, have a few lessons and maybe invest in a new wedge. Later when you are more confident, think about changing them.
Remember, practicing and some sort of warmup however brief, is still ten times better than none at all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that a lesson or two will help move you on again. You're probably reverting to old habits without knowing. There are lots of irons out there so try and find a demo day somewhere, or an AG with a range (or your local range) or even a good pro shop. The secret is to try before you buy and go in with an open mind and not have an idea of make or model in your head

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree that a lesson or two will help move you on again. You're probably reverting to old habits without knowing. There are lots of irons out there so try and find a demo day somewhere, or an AG with a range (or your local range) or even a good pro shop. The secret is to try before you buy and go in with an open mind and not have an idea of make or model in your head

He's been playing for 18 months!! New clubs are not the answer.

Practice, Practice, Practice, practice and then practice some more. Only when you have 'your' swing can you upgrade your clubs.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you have convinced yourself that your clubs have to go, then change.

But realise that you are doing it for the purest of reasons - that we all like shiny new kit.

As long as you're not taking your rent money, or anything equally important, to fund it, then you buy new clubs as often as you feel like.

Make sure you try them before you buy, and preferably ask your pro for his advice.

If you don't have a pro, then find one you get along with and trust, have some lessons first, then ask his advice.