New car but whcih fuel...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have started the long drawn out process of choosing a car to replace my diesel Barge.
The must have is that my clubs and trolley must go in the boot without being seen.
I wont be choosing an estate, so it's either hatch or possibly an SUV.
After choosing which car, it's what fuel to go for. Mileage isnt the issue, as I like the characteristics of the diesel engine, but the obvious screwup by VW giving the anti diesel lobby the edge they wanted has got me thinking. Should I stick with diesel, go petrol or hybrid (if available)?

What fuel would you choose and why?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Diesel engine es are becoming increasingly complicated now with the new emission regulations. I wouldn't have a blue tec engine or whatever the manufacturers call them, the kind that inject pig's pee into the exhaust (Ad Blue they call it). You need to keep the tank in the boot topped up & if it runs out the engine management system stops the engine until it's filled up. I replaced my 1.9cc diesel with a 1.4 turbo petrol, which produces almost the same BHP.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Diesel engine es are becoming increasingly complicated now with the new emission regulations. I wouldn't have a blue tec engine or whatever the manufacturers call them, the kind that inject pig's pee into the exhaust (Ad Blue they call it). You need to keep the tank in the boot topped up & if it runs out the engine management system stops the engine until it's filled up. I replaced my 1.9cc diesel with a 1.4 turbo petrol, which produces almost the same BHP.

No it's manufactured and only some, most will still keep running but at a reduced power

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have both a diesel (A Class) and a petrol (C Class). Diesel is ok with 177BHP and plenty torque but the petrol at 325BHP is way more fun. Still get 34mpg from the petrol if I drive sensibly. Petrol much more responsive with little to no lag, even with a DCT Auto box.
I would go petrol all day now as dont have the long journeys that diesel wins at. So really only use the A Class when I need to go far but not bothered about style ;)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Same reasons for me. Changed from diesel to petrol (1.6 turbo). Much prefer the performance. If I done the long miles every day I used to, then I would reconsider. Mondeo now. Clubs in the boot was a big factor in which car. Could not be bothered with this having to remove driver etc before putting in car. Could easily get 2 lots of clubs in my boot

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
you can see a big push against diesels coming with raised taxes etc in a attempt to force them off the road.. first they want a switch to diesel then they dont, thats government for you..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hybrid cars are nearly there, forget Toyota obviously, but they still fiendishly expensive. VW Passat and Volvo V60 are late £30k. I'd really fancy the VW Passat estate if the cost wasn't through the roof. Maybe in 2-3 years time. Mine changes next July and I suspect I will stay diesel for this next car still. Superb, Mazda 6 and Passat are top of the list at this stage. The Kodiaq could sneak into that list when it finally gets out on the road.

Psychologically accepting mpg from a petrol in the mid 30's when I am used to mid to high 40's with a diesel is going to be very difficult. I'm not ready for that yet I don't think.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was faced with similar dilemma a year or so back... Plumped to stay with diesel power... We still do a couple of 200 mile round trips a month so calculated the better mpg just about favoured the diesel route... If we hadn't been doing the extended trips would've almost certainly gone back over to petrol... Got a Hyundai and thus far its done all we expected of it... Couldn't find much history of problems with the DPF on this brand... Also, we disenable the stop/start when driving in town... a) its annoying and b) I believe it puts an un-necessary load on the transmission...