Needing a little runarund

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My son has the Fiesta with the 1.litre ecoboost engine have to agree it's a great car to drive, he's had his for two and a half years bought a year old and reliable so far and he puts in a fair commuting mileage.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A modern 1.2 TURBO engine is a totally different engine to a regular 1.2.
The 1.0 Ford ecoboost has been around a long time now and is excellent.

It is and it isn’t. It’s good to drive, but the older ones are prone to springing a coolant leak and blowing a gasket, often fatally for the engine. My wife has a Fiesta Ecoboost and I monitor the coolant frequently to ensure it’s not going to happen to hers.

Google it, lots of coverage of this issue. My brother-in-law had the engine in his focus replaced by ford for free even though it was out of warranty, which was a very fortunate outcome for him!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is and it isn’t. It’s good to drive, but the older ones are prone to springing a coolant leak and blowing a gasket, often fatally for the engine. My wife has a Fiesta Ecoboost and I monitor the coolant frequently to ensure it’s not going to happen to hers.

Google it, lots of coverage of this issue. My brother-in-law had the engine in his focus replaced by ford for free even though it was out of warranty, which was a very fortunate outcome for him!
Another recommendation for the Fiesta. Had mine since new 15 plate. The 1litre ecoboost engine is brilliant! Zero road tax, although I don't know if that still applies.
I use mine for golf and with the seats folded clubs go in no problem. It helps if you can get one with tinted rear widows so clubs are not on show as much.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Garage I used to work in we called these Ecoboost engines "pressure cookers". The 123HP version produces 170NM of torque and for a 3 cylinder, that's a lot. The strains on the small block are tremendous and it results in pressurised failure points like gaskets or coolant barriers.

In my view, others are available, I think 1.2 is the smallest block that should be turbo charged. And 4 cylinder block at that.

Ford have made some cracking engines down the years from the original Ford DOHC block to the Zetec but the constant push to get more from less means more opportunity for pressurised failures in my book.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I don't know if you are looking at a manual or automatic gearbox, but if it is an automatic, DO NOT go near a Ford with a Powershift gearbox would be my advice, based on the experience of Mrs. BiM's last car.

Our feeling was that someone had misspelt Powershift, there was an unnecessary f in there... :oops:

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Garage I used to work in we called these Ecoboost engines "pressure cookers". The 123HP version produces 170NM of torque and for a 3 cylinder, that's a lot. The strains on the small block are tremendous and it results in pressurised failure points like gaskets or coolant barriers.

In my view, others are available, I think 1.2 is the smallest block that should be turbo charged. And 4 cylinder block at that.

Ford have made some cracking engines down the years from the original Ford DOHC block to the Zetec but the constant push to get more from less means more opportunity for pressurised failures in my book.

Interesting; so the new 1.0L, 115PS turbocharged 3 cylinder wasn't the way to go then... :oops:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting; so the new 1.0L, 115PS turbocharged 3 cylinder wasn't the way to go then... :oops:

Couldn't really say Rich. Only got experience of the 100PS and 125PS engines. Didn't know a 115 version was out there.
Power is not the issue though, engines we used to see most issues with were ones that had high torque outputs relative to capacity.

To be fair, most guys above are talking about Fiestas whereas I was talking the engine rather than the car. Most issues we saw were with the CMax with the same ecoboost engine.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Couldn't really say Rich. Only got experience of the 100PS and 125PS engines. Didn't know a 115 version was out there.
Power is not the issue though, engines we used to see most issues with were ones that had high torque outputs relative to capacity.

To be fair, most guys above are talking about Fiestas whereas I was talking the engine rather than the car. Most issues we saw were with the CMax with the same ecoboost engine.

It's a VAG engine in the Seat Ibiza Greig, new to us, sorry if that wasn't clear; I took your comments about 1.2L & 4 cylinders as being pretty generic rather than Ford related. (y)

Just looked up the specs, 1.0L, 115PS, 200Nm torque! :eek:

I also looked up the bike engine specs, as Ducatis have a reputation for torquey engines; 937cc, normally aspirated, 115PS, 96 Nm torque. Not so torquey after all then :unsure: :LOL:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

If only there was an alternative.
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

All right all right, I'll go. ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will sit in an electric car in a sealed garage with the the motor on and the windows open for an hour if Hans-Werner Sinn will do the same in a ''cleaner'' diesel car.

Also that articles way of thinking is very one dimensional and always brought out by people without long term vision

Get everyone onto the cars whilst working on a renewable sustainable way of providing the electricity

Short term they may be the same or more polluting but long term not a chance

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I loved this bit.....

The problem, of course, is that passenger cars in Europe last for only 180,000km, on average. Worse, according to Joanneum, EV batteries don’t last long enough to achieve that distance in the first place.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I dont believe the turbo hardly ever kicks in on my Qashqai, well if it does I dont notice. I tend to drive more for smoothness and economy these days so make best use of the six gears and dont rev the guts out of it.