Needing a little runarund

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thinking we might soon have to replace my runaround (a Ford Fusion) as it getting more expensive to keep on the road than is probably worthwhile.

So for a budget of about £5k I need a little car that will essentially be limited to local driving (to and from the golf club); petrol; room for clubs (happy to have rear seats folded down to accommodate if necessary); 1.2 or 1.4 is adequate; about 5yrs old. Probably not too high mileage - but that's not too important as mileage I put on will be low. And I need it to last...not going to be replaced for 5yrs+. And I don't need anything sporty or particularly 'trendy'.

Default thinking has me looking at a VW Polo - as I've has a couple of those in the past. Open to suggestions.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A Honda Jazz would meet all your criteria IF it meets the budget, but I've no idea on second hand prices.
Slightly over our budget - and tbh - looks a bit bigger than I need. Almost always just going to be me and my golf clubs - and we live in a narrow cul-de-sac with mostly on-street parking in a victorian/edwardian town location - so quite small is beautiful (though not Smart of Ka small)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Slightly over our budget - and tbh - looks a bit bigger than I need. Almost always just going to be me and my golf clubs - and we live in a cul-de-sac in a victorian/edwardian town location - so quite small is beautiful (though not Smart of Ka small)

Had the 2012 model Jazz/Fit for the last few years (coincidentally until last night) pretty compact actually. It was swapped for a newer model of same make (hybrid version) which seemed bigger to look at but actually reverses further into the same parking space
Get the clubs in easily either standing behind drivers seat for short journeys or lying along the back seat if driving further, don't usually bother to fold down seats unless more than one set of clubs going in. Both are automatic versions (hate changing gears in heavy traffic) so are v easy to drive

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toyota Yaris will do the trick. I would also have said Honda Jazz but you have ruled that one out.

If you want to go really small, you will always need the seats down for this, then look at the Toyota Aygo, Seat Mii. I wouldn't go for these if you did any decent journeys but for what you describe they would do the job.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Toyota Yaris will do the trick. I would also have said Honda Jazz but you have ruled that one out.

If you want to go really small, you will always need the seats down for this, then look at the Toyota Aygo, Seat Mii. I wouldn't go for these if you did any decent journeys but for what you describe they would do the job.
Having a look at the Jazz - maybe not 100% ruled out...and don't want to go teensy weensy

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The general theme is that the Japanese produce very reliable small cars. Pick one, any make, and they will generally do well for you. They may not inspire but if all it is doing is going back and forth to a golf clubs with 1 person plus clubs then you don't need anything flash.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't think you can go far wrong with your original choice of Polo ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Skoda Fabia with the PD engine. Most reliable car I can think of. A well looked after VRS version with 80k on the clock can still be found and in your budget.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Slightly over our budget - and tbh - looks a bit bigger than I need. Almost always just going to be me and my golf clubs - and we live in a narrow cul-de-sac with mostly on-street parking in a victorian/edwardian town location - so quite small is beautiful (though not Smart of Ka small)

It is nowhere near as big as you might think, Mrs BiM having had a 2006 one from new, yet big enough inside. But if it is over budget then that is irrelevant. Still might be worth consideration if you go older as plenty of clean looking 15 or so year old ones running round our way.

The other plus with a Honda is that there is a design requirement to take a full set of golf clubs in the boot without removing anything from the bag...

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You could drive a Yaris 60 mph into a brick wall and survive. I mean, no-one wants to be seen dead in a Yaris …...

that gag courtesy of "Rainbow does Top Gear" available on YouTube and I mean serious viewer discretion needed before watching it :D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not the Hyundai i10. Mrs Hobbit has its 'sister' car, the Kia Piccanto. As a run around it does the job. As a 4 seater its tight, and even with the seats down for the clubs its not great. Our neighbours have the Kia Rio. Basic, but not too bad. The Kia Ceed might just be a little big for HID. I'm trying to convince Mrs Hobbit to upgrade.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thinking we might soon have to replace my runaround (a Ford Fusion) as it getting more expensive to keep on the road than is probably worthwhile.

So for a budget of about £5k I need a little car that will essentially be limited to local driving (to and from the golf club); petrol; room for clubs (happy to have rear seats folded down to accommodate if necessary); 1.2 or 1.4 is adequate; about 5yrs old. Probably not too high mileage - but that's not too important as mileage I put on will be low. And I need it to last...not going to be replaced for 5yrs+. And I don't need anything sporty or particularly 'trendy'.

Default thinking has me looking at a VW Polo - as I've has a couple of those in the past. Open to suggestions.
A Nissan Qashqai, they make a 1.2 turbo petrol one thats very good on mpg, has lots of room and is pretty good to drive.